Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 19-07-2007, 12:56 AM   #361
VeloXR6
JesusDrivesAFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloXR6
That sets me apart from you....

to me it is the end of the world ... and the end of my financial relationship with ford....
Sorry - I should elaborate ....

BMW 335i .......
Old 19-07-2007, 12:59 AM   #362
VeloXR6
JesusDrivesAFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
Yes I agree as well. I don't think the release was handled that well. Ch10 News are reporting that FoA are "axing" 600 jobs, when that is clearly not the case when you take into account retraining etc. Typical Media i guess..

And that is your choice.. but no offense to you but you are in the minority in the buying public. Most people do not know what the difference between an I6 and a V6 is, in fact of those that know a small amount most will think that a V6 is superior because that's what everyone uses. It is only enthusiasts who really know much about what actually drives our cars and what the on-paper advantages of certain configurations are over others.
Well, it is quite obvious that those of us who know and care for the difference mean nothing .... so we should move on..
Old 19-07-2007, 12:59 AM   #363
VeloXR6
JesusDrivesAFord

Quote:

BMW 335i .......
M3 ??? Who ?
Old 19-07-2007, 01:01 AM   #364
MRJUCY
Fordless

Quote:
M3 ??? Who ?
New M3 is a V8.
Old 19-07-2007, 01:04 AM   #365
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well, it is quite obvious that those of us who know and care for the difference mean nothing .... so we should move on..
As unfortunate as that is it is absolutely correct. The buying public will never care what the engine in their car is as long as it is economical and has enough power for them, and the Duratec will do this for Ford, while enabling FoA to keep operating. It's just the way the industry is.

335 is a fantastic car.. way ahead of what the falcon is and could be.. but then it has the price-tag to match!
Old 19-07-2007, 01:04 AM   #366
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

popinfresh- I'm glad you're willing to point out stuff like that...obviously one of the few who understand the dynamics of a global organisation.
A few more points to add too:

People should stop with the stupid "I want a torquey I6" comments and learn what makes a torquey engine. Do people honestly think that Ford Aus won't get any say on setup with this engine? That'd be completely stupid and make for a pretty $hitty Falcon- something they're trying to avoid if we're to believe their global expansion aspirations.

All comes down to what you want to lose- the engine or the company. Half the people on here sound like they've never heard the word "compromise" before.
Old 19-07-2007, 01:04 AM   #367
VeloXR6
JesusDrivesAFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
New M3 is a V8.
umm... Duh...
Old 19-07-2007, 01:06 AM   #368
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

BMW 335i .......
So for the people saying it's bad new for Australian industry that we lose one part of a plant, instead of getting a falcon anyway, which still has majority made in Aus, you'll go for a all European car?
Old 19-07-2007, 01:08 AM   #369
VeloXR6
JesusDrivesAFord

Quote:
As unfortunate as that is it is absolutely correct. The buying public will never care what the engine in their car is as long as it is economical and has enough power for them, and the Duratec will do this for Ford, while enabling FoA to keep operating. It's just the way the industry is.

335 is a fantastic car.. way ahead of what the falcon is and could be.. but then it has the price-tag to match!
Pretty much the point, personally - other than something better than Skaife and Kelly to Barack for in the V8 supercars, I feel that Ford is now Irrelevant in Australia, so they should just F off....
Old 19-07-2007, 01:11 AM   #370
MRJUCY
Fordless

Quote:
umm... Duh...
Think about it.
Old 19-07-2007, 01:12 AM   #371
VeloXR6
JesusDrivesAFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by popinfresh
So for the people saying it's bad new for Australian industry that we lose one part of a plant, instead of getting a falcon anyway, which still has majority made in Aus, you'll go for a all European car?
Well yeah ... If I liked lacklustre performance and inferior fitout I would be a holden man....

I used to give my $$ to ford becuase of performance .. now anyone is fair game.
Old 19-07-2007, 01:13 AM   #372
VeloXR6
JesusDrivesAFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Think about it.
Do your research ... 335i is an I6
Old 19-07-2007, 01:13 AM   #373
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To me the TwinForce version of the Duratec 35 should have plenty of performance!

321kw and 560Nm!
Old 19-07-2007, 01:19 AM   #374
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You do realise that a 335i isn't made here either..

You would be surprised to know how much of the Falcon is imported.. even major parts of the I6 are imported... Crank (UK) and Heads (Mexico) just to name 2..
Old 19-07-2007, 01:20 AM   #375
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
To me the TwinForce version of the Duratec 35 should have plenty of performance!

321kw and 560Nm!
I think the Duratec could put out 400rwkw and 700nM (and have the economy of a stock BF XR6T) and some people here would still say it's crap...all because its a V6 :

The new engine is coming no matter how much people want to winge about it.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

Old 19-07-2007, 01:20 AM   #376
rodderz

Guys, we know you are passionate, nothing wrong with that, but there's no need to resort to breaking site rules for the sake of getting your point across. Be civil in your comments and tolerant of other's views.

There have been a few warnings already, we have been tolerant but there wont be further warning before posts removed or the thread is closed.
Old 19-07-2007, 01:24 AM   #377
steamin63
old skool

in reply to barraxr8 i worked at bryan byrt ford in brisbane so i know first hand some of the crap ford australia has released to the public.never make the mistake that any big car maker actually cares what it sells to it's customers just as long as it sells.the designers and the engineers are the heart and soul of ford [but even they get it wrong sometimes] but they don't run the company, the suits and the bean counters do.if you really want to know how good a car is talk to a service tech or someone in P&D [preparation and delivery] .don't get me wrong the falcon is a very good car as was the laser and the festiva wasn't to bad either but ford [the company]is a business and they have made some very strange decisions over the last 20 odd years.
Old 19-07-2007, 01:27 AM   #378
VeloXR6
JesusDrivesAFord

Rodderz - I cannot think what was in my message that you deleted that would be offensive - please send back to me so I can review.....

But really - this site must be getting as fruity as ford and those supporting the demise of the I6

RIP I6....
Old 19-07-2007, 01:27 AM   #379
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Sorry to see the potential loss of livelihood/jobs for so many. I hope they end up staying with the company one way or another. And secondly, sad to see the loss of an old mate... the good old straight six.
Old 19-07-2007, 01:32 AM   #380
Huntsman
Starter Motor

"What was Mcalary doing today?"

Believe me mate, she and the rest of the communications team have earned their money in the past week.

Can anyone seriously believe this was planned a-la Secrets Revealed was with the drip feed of Barra?

Ford was duck-shoved into this announcement after the media got wind of a story and ran with it. From there it developed a life of its own, with the unions turning it into an election issue and the communications team would have been left trying to hold onto the tiger's tail.

No matter how hard you try to massage the story, the fact is they would have been dealing not with the automotive journalists they have good relationships with, but industrial relations writers and finance reporters, some of whom quite frankly no very little about the industry but are drawn like sharks to the feeding frenzy that comes with shutdowns.

No doubt the story they would have liked to have been picked up - and quite frankly I'm disappointed no auto journalist has noticed yet - is that while today's news about an imported V6 engine from 2010 onwards was bad for Geelong and the engine plant workers, it also indicates that there will continue to be new Falcons coming off the line at Broadmeadows.
Old 19-07-2007, 01:35 AM   #381
rodderz

Quote:
Rodderz - I cannot think what was in my message that you deleted that would be offensive - please send back to me so I can review.....

But really - this site must be getting as fruity as ford and those supporting the demise of the I6

RIP I6....
It wasnt your message, it was getting around the swear filter. As I said, nothing wrong with passion but no need to bend rules to display it.
Old 19-07-2007, 01:35 AM   #382
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So i'm "fruity" because I want to be driving a Ford in 20 years time? Honestly I think i'm the one with my head screwed on right. Duratech has more performance figures, better economy and i'll get to drive a blue oval in future, sounds good to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
Guys, we know you are passionate, nothing wrong with that, but there's no need to resort to breaking site rules for the sake of getting your point across. Be civil in your comments and tolerant of other's views.

There have been a few warnings already, we have been tolerant but there wont be further warning before posts removed or the thread is closed.
Sorry rodderz if i'm in there, i'm pretty much done anyway!
Old 19-07-2007, 01:41 AM   #383
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman
No doubt the story they would have liked to have been picked up - and quite frankly I'm disappointed no auto journalist has noticed yet - is that while today's news about an imported V6 engine from 2010 onwards was bad for Geelong and the engine plant workers, it also indicates that there will continue to be new Falcons coming off the line at Broadmeadows.
The last bit is the clincher- this decision has contributed to the survival of Fords to be made here for a long while yet, which ensures that everyone's job at Ford isnt lost.
Old 19-07-2007, 01:43 AM   #384
kpcart
Banned

who cares if its not a straight six. people cant see what engine is from outside the car. if my ford had a 4turbo, a straight six, v6 or v8 under the hood, i wouldnt care as long as the car performs the way it should. some people talk about power at the wheels, then why make a fuss that its not i6 if it makes that same dyno numbers at the wheels. and as for sound, theres not much diff between v6 and i6. v6 is more modern, more compact, better centre of gravity... etc. From what i have read, all the newest i6 from ford has over the 10 or so available new cars in australia that have v6 is torque, and that is only really because at 4 litres it is still basically the biggest six cylinder available here, the v6s are 3-3.8litre. a mazda 2.3L 4 cylinder turbo has 380nm.
Old 19-07-2007, 01:44 AM   #385
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
The last bit is the clincher- this decision has contributed to the survival of Fords to be made here for a long while yet, which ensures that everyone's job at Ford isnt lost.
+1

Thats the main thing, the Falc will remain. Well said Huntsman. And welcome to the Forums.
Old 19-07-2007, 08:09 AM   #386
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I think it will just slot in without anyone even noticing. Not alot of people relise that there is even a thing as a straight 6. They just see it as a 6 cylinder car.

The new duratec isn't that much different, power wise...

In the Ford Edge, it's the 3.5L DOHC (24V) V6 - 197Kw (6250rpm), 338Nm (4500), Full cast block aluminium (alloy I suppose)... could make the falcon alot lighter...? Well wait and see...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 19-07-2007, 08:28 AM   #387
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
I think it will just slot in without anyone even noticing. Not alot of people relise that there is even a thing as a straight 6. They just see it as a 6 cylinder car.

The new duratec isn't that much different, power wise...

In the Ford Edge, it's the 3.5L DOHC (24V) V6 - 197Kw (6250rpm), 338Nm (4500), Full cast block aluminium (alloy I suppose)... could make the falcon alot lighter...? Well wait and see...
Doesn't sound bad at all to me.

I didn't even know the Falcon was an I6 till I joined this site : And another point to make out and forgive me if it has been made is car makers especially Ford and Holden are mass producers and the enthusiast part is the minority.

Surely 200 odd kw is enough for most people? You can't buy a base model and expect it to be a Typhoon.

That is what FPV is for and well they have TTV6 in the pipeline for that

Average Joe couldn't care what configuration their engine is and I'm sure they have many more things they place more importance on.
Old 19-07-2007, 08:53 AM   #388
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPGMH
BRING BACK GEOFF POLITIES
Geoff understood the Australian market. The problem is that this decision was not decided by Tom Gorman. He is just a stooge acting on behalf of his US task masters.

I suggest a ceremonial burning of Ford flags in front of the Geelong engine plant be organised. Mine is ready.

FF
Old 19-07-2007, 08:56 AM   #389
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
Geoff understood the Australian market. The problem is that this decision was not decided by Tom Gorman. He is just a stooge acting on behalf of his US task masters.

I suggest a ceremonial burning of Ford flags in front of the Geelong engine plant be organised. Mine is ready.

FF
But they want to play in the GLOBAL MARKET now. The I6 doesn't fit in with those plans.
Old 19-07-2007, 09:50 AM   #390
MRJUCY
Fordless

Quote:
Do your research ... 335i is an I6
As you would say DUH interesting to note the performance model has a V motor tho isn't it?
Closed Thread