Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #361
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
though not as wierd as the peperjack.... Apparently it is a SA ale with red wine (can't remember the variety...). Can't work out if i hate it or love it LOL!
It's made by Penfolds at the Saltram's Winery up in Angaston in the Barossa.
Quote:
So, how about it fellas, what beer did you partake in this christmas season???
How about another beer made at a winery? Knappstein's Reserve Larger was our choice this holiday season, but only because the wife got some cheap through work. It's a nice drop though!
Old 04-01-2010, 07:21 PM   #362
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I spent 70 bucks at Purvis Cellars on Christmas Eve, and then a further 40 bucks at Olinda Cellars.

I have only had a few....I bought a total of around 17 bottles...

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale was damn good. Very hoppy. Strong flavour too.

3 Ravens 55 American Pale Ale was okay...not as good as the Sierra Nevada. Lacked flavour or zing. Worth a try.

Also got myself a bottle of Perry, which is pear cider. Was interesting...drier than Strongbow Sweet, that's for sure. Was worth the try, but I'll stick with my Strongies.

I also had a Red Hill Wheat Beer, but I do not remember it much...I just know that I prefer Grand Ridge Blonde (not gayarse low-carb crappo). Erdinger is number one.

My next go is Jamieson's Raspberry Ale. It's apparently very good. My brother bought a slab of it and recommended it to me, so I thought I would give it a go.
http://www.jamiesonbrewery.com.au/beers.html

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2010, 07:22 PM   #363
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
How about another beer made at a winery? Knappstein's Reserve Larger was our choice this holiday season, but only because the wife got some cheap through work. It's a nice drop though!
I have to say that Knappstein's is BRILLIANT. It is costly, but it's wonderful. If you reckon you really love beer, then PLEASE, try it!

Don't snap my undies.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #364
Kamshaaft
Broken eBay Starter Motor

I went to South Australia for about a week, pulled into the drivethrough and got 2 x 30 blocks of West End Draught. Not the nicest stuff, but hey at least it wasn't Emu Export or Hammer N Tongs. I've just got a new job so I've had a pretty massive chrissy break plenty of time to got on it all round the place.

I don't really go for the boutiques that much as most times it's a 'quantity over quality' occasion (Tooheys Extra Dry is a staple), such as Christmas get togethers and NYE. Speaking of which I drank Bluetongue over New Years Eve, which is entire universes away from West End Draught! Nice stuff, same price as a Carlton Draught when bought by the pint but nicer all round and a better aftertaste.
Kamshaaft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2010, 07:45 PM   #365
Kamshaaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
I bought my first slab since being 18 today, anyone had "Ice Beer" before? It was $33 for 30x 375ml cans, plus the box looks pretty cool. Its in the fridge waiting to cool up
Yeah it's real easy drinking as you say, as long as it's pretty cold (so you can't taste it). Bought some once for giggles and had some left over one day after a hot arvos work under the sun and slammed a few down pretty well. Wouldn't buy it again unless I was picking lint out my pockets, but it's refreshing at the end of a long day as a tall glass of ice cold water is refreshing at the end of a long day.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #366
Kamshaaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
I cant believe guiness is getting such a bad wrap, fair enough you dont (well I dont) knock off a 6 pack in a setting but having one with dinner (depending on what it is) is great.

Goes well with oysters, pies, hearty meals.

Cant remember if I posted this but there is a W.A beer called wahoo...my god, another watery tasteless waste of resources.
Prefer Kilkenny to Guiness, even Tooheys Old TBH. Don't know why, just the way it is. By the way for the othr guy, as far as Mexican beer goes Dos Equis (XX) defecates all over Corona from a great height!
Old 04-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #367
Kamshaaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
The only Tooheys beer I buy is the Platinums and that's for reasons that don't really need to be explained other than you get nearly 16 standard drinks for not much more than $20. Bang for buck :
Tastes far too clean though. Like nothing.

Tennants is a nice beer.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #368
JC807
sucksqueezebangblow

since I don't pound down more than say 5 or 6 beers before moving on to other things, i can say i like most beers except for VB (something about it gives me major headaches).
different beers for different temperatures and environments.
beers on the beach or on a boat: carlton cold, boags st. george
beers in winter: coopers sparkling ale, la chouffe.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #369
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamshaaft
Prefer Kilkenny to Guiness, even Tooheys Old TBH. Don't know why, just the way it is. By the way for the othr guy, as far as Mexican beer goes Dos Equis (XX) defecates all over Corona from a great height!
They're completely different beers!
I prefer Kilkenny over Coke...:P

Any Mexican beer sucks...corn water.

Grand Ridge Blonde is great...it's fairly light in flavour...great on a hot day.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #370
zdcol71
zdcol71

swordsmaqn88, like your selection, I have one like that going quite regularlly in my fridge,I see you are from Brisbane. I wonder, do you frequent a bottle shop in West End called Nectar. It stocks all the beers in your pic plus many many more. I feel like a kid in a candy shop everytime I go in. The plan is allways to keep a couple on hand to "show off" when people stop by, but unfortunately(for them) they just don't last long enough.
Also love 1/2 and 1/2 Guinness and Killkenny (Black and Tan)
Old 04-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #371
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

My boss got me this international beer pack with 8 different beers in it, so far I like Grolsch, Steinlager and Stella Artois. Corona is pretty crappy, I reckon it must be the Mexican version of VB lol.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #372
Kamshaaft

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
They're completely different beers!
I prefer Kilkenny over Coke...:P

Any Mexican beer sucks...corn water.

Grand Ridge Blonde is great...it's fairly light in flavour...great on a hot day.
Hah, typo. I meant I prefer Kilkenny with Guiness, or Toohey's old will do. the same as Zedcol now that I notice. I tried to write "I prefer my Guiness with Kilkenny", but Ihad the phrase it differently because the next bit made it sounds like I liked to substitue Tooheys OLD for Kilkenny in a pinch.

I have to admit, another reason half of this doesn't make sense is because(somewhat obviously to anyone who's read the last 7 posts) I can't figure out how to put them all in one.

I'm no real conisseur so I couldn't defend mexican beer, but to be fair Dos Equis is nice enough for me, and significantly better than Corona I reckon. Corn water it all stillmay be, to you guys who pull some fancy brews. I'm the kinda guy who'll almost mix thinners into his stout if it's too thick.

Last edited by Kamshaaft; 04-01-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:22 PM   #373
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What he said
Fair enough.
But if you want a light-flavoured beer that is packed full of flavour, wheat beers are brilliant.

Schofferhofer
Erdinger
Grand Ridge
Hoegaarden (overpriced, but good).

In summer, they're fantastically refreshing, they don't need lemon, and they have flavour. Really good!

Don't snap my undies.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:00 PM   #374
Kamshaaft

Thumbs up

I have actually tried Hoegaarden, as a friend worships the stuff. It was fairly sweet (as in honey sweet) in taste from memory, don't know what's in the stuff but it's probably an ancient brew of 40 secret herbal ingredients haha. I can't remember any citrus taste in it.

The others I haen't even heard of , are they similar to each other, or just your select wheat beers?

EDIT: Thanks for the recommendations. It looks like the kind of stuff you need to order, but if I can find locally of those others before a worthy event, I'll give them a go.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:48 PM   #375
Saraco

Being South Aussie, Coopers Pale, dining out, Southwark Premium, pilsener, great with food. U.S.Beer, Miller Genuine Draft or for hot weather, Miller Chillada( with lime and salt ) most refreshing! But by and large, if mates offer you free beer, never complain about the brand, as for the temperature, complain at will! P.S. As for free beer, I may draw the line at VB.
Saraco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2010, 12:09 AM   #376
Kamshaaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by svov88
Being South Aussie, Coopers Pale, dining out, Southwark Premium, pilsener, great with food. U.S.Beer, Miller Genuine Draft or for hot weather, Miller Chillada( with lime and salt ) most refreshing! But by and large, if mates offer you free beer, never complain about the brand, as for the temperature, complain at will! P.S. As for free beer, I may draw the line at VB.
They still make "suth-ark"? I didn't see any when I was over there :
Old 05-01-2010, 12:46 AM   #377
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have actually tried Hoegaarden, as a friend worships the stuff. It was fairly sweet (as in honey sweet) in taste from memory, don't know what's in the stuff but it's probably an ancient brew of 40 secret herbal ingredients haha. I can't remember any citrus taste in it.

EDIT: Thanks for the recommendations. It looks like the kind of stuff you need to order, but if I can find locally of those others before a worthy event, I'll give them a go.
Wheat beers often include fruity aftertastes...orange being a very common one. Hoegaarden is quite fruity...

Erdinger and Schofferhofer are available at Dan Murphy's.

Grand Ridge is a microbrewery located in Mirboo North in Gippsland, Victoria. Fantastic drinks. Their wheat beer is also excellent and my pick of local beer at the moment...

Don't snap my undies.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:06 AM   #378
Saraco

Quote:
They still make "suth-ark"? I didn't see any when I was over there :
You can still find Southwark Bitter at larger places like Dan Murphys, couldn't be worse than West End. As for Southwark Premium, the only places I've seen it in a long time, are some of the better restaurants.Self explanatory really, since it goes better with food, than on it's own. Cleanses the palate.
Saraco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2010, 01:11 AM   #379
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Miller "Chill" was alright, and I had a Cooper's pale ale the other day, that was pretty good too.

So far that Ice Beer that I bought ranks the lowest haha.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2010, 02:09 AM   #380
Kamshaaft

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by svov88
You can still find Southwark Bitter at larger places like Dan Murphys, couldn't be worse than West End. As for Southwark Premium, the only places I've seen it in a long time, are some of the better restaurants.Self explanatory really, since it goes better with food, than on it's own. Cleanses the palate.
Yep the Premium is the stuff I was looking out for. I wasn't aware that there were other versions to be frank. Thanks mate.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:19 AM   #381
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did my first 5 Lt Keg of Heiniken recently, lasted a day a bit (was during the hot spell) went down so well, Missus got me a bottle of Grolsh for Xmas 1.5 Lt and father in law fixed me up with a couple of cold James Boags Lagers, tasted very nice.

Just practicing with the Tazer on a Koala?
opto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 01:09 AM   #382
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Wheat beers often include fruity aftertastes...orange being a very common one. Hoegaarden is quite fruity...

Erdinger and Schofferhofer are available at Dan Murphy's.

Grand Ridge is a microbrewery located in Mirboo North in Gippsland, Victoria. Fantastic drinks. Their wheat beer is also excellent and my pick of local beer at the moment...
Mate, I still think you need to try a Lobethal Bierhaus drop some time. I had one of their new wheat beers and I reckon they taste a lot better than the over priced and over rated Hoegaarden.

I don't think they sell it interstate yet, but it's becoming increasingly popular here in SA. I believe the Lion hotel in North Adelaide is the first pub to now sell it on tap.

Check out this link for more info on the company and some of their selections. They are bringing more out all the time.

http://www.ahcb.com.au/news.html
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 01:57 AM   #383
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well after the massive amount of time since my last post i've probably tried less than 10 beers i've never had before, most have been pretty good. But for me Carlton Draught is still king, I doubt anything will ever change that. HOWEVER recently i've been drinking Boags Draught more than anything and it is a quality brew, just a beer I could drink all the time and never disagree with.

My mate from Italy often recommends me various beers and he has for months been trying to get me to drink Peroni which he drinks religiously, i've tried it 3 times and each time it had the same horrible metallic watered down taste no matter how drunk I was. Seems to be everywhere now that I know it, must be some metro crap. STEER CLEAR!

Apart from that i've tried some more local beers (mainly becuase they were the cheapest jugs haha) and they were all decent but not enough for me to remember them (other factors could contribute to this memory loss). So yeah, that concludes another of my sophisticated beer analysis posts. See you in another year! :
Old 06-01-2010, 12:17 PM   #384
Rob
Living the dream

Been drinking La Trappe lately, very nice, quite similar to Hoegaarden.

On a completely different front, I recently discovered Fat Yak - its fantastic beer. Reeeallly smooth, nice dark colour with a fruity taste.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 01:03 PM   #385
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob

On a completely different front, I recently discovered Fat Yak - its fantastic beer. Reeeallly smooth, nice dark colour with a fruity taste.
Not bad Fat Yak....not bad at all. Still prefer my LC but fat yak make a decent ale that is for sure....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #386
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Fat Yak and Löwenbräu are fantastic =D
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #387
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Not bad Fat Yak....not bad at all. Still prefer my LC but fat yak make a decent ale that is for sure....
Matilda Bay beers used to be good when they were brewed in the old Ford factory in Western Australia. They have since closed the factory down, and Fosters, who own Matilda Bay now brew them all in Victoria. Fat Yak isn't bad, but the old Red Back used to be nice.

I've recently acquired a taste for Hoegaarden, however I don't want to mortgage the house for a Case. I wonder why CUB or Lion Nathan haven't applied for the Brewed Under License contract like they have done for Carlsberg and others.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #388
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
I reckon they're completely different...and La Trappe also have very many different brews. I bought 25% of one stores stock of the special edition brew...'Isid'Or'

La Trappe is also bloody good for the price...Hoegaarden is no longer worth the money...

La Trappe is great in winter...try the Dubbel. Best damn beer in winter...

Don't snap my undies.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:50 PM   #389
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
I wonder why CUB or Lion Nathan haven't applied for the Brewed Under License contract like they have done for Carlsberg and others.
Because big breweries completely funk up everything.
Ever tried an imported Stella Artois against one brewed under license? One was Stella, the other was stale urine. Completely different.

I am happy to pay extra for importing. The quality between imported beers and license-brewed is monumental.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #390
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have to say that Blue Tongue and Little Creatures is great if I'm only having a couple.

One thing is that boutique beers seem to be harder to drink after about 6 or so.

Most over rated beers are Crown and Stella Artois, IMO.

If I want to settle in for a long night, something simple like Carlton Draught is fine by me.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post