Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #361
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 
Default Re: Earthquake Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Just getting away from the China Syndrome and we'll all glow in the dark soon topic, has anyone else noticed something different from other worldwide disasters in the pictures coming from the worst hit areas?

There's no Looting.
There are no Riots.
They are not shouting that the Gov/Rescue teams were too slow.
People standing in line for water and food with no pushing or fighting.
They seem to accept what has happened and that Gov/Rescue teams are flat out and will get to everyone eventually.

There are a lot of so called Civilised countries in the world that could watch Japan and learn what 'Civilised' really means.
Went to give you "Thanks" for what is the best post I have read for some time, only to find that I was about to delete the thanks already given. :( (Annoying system and mentioned to Russell that we need to try and change this.)

I have had much to do with Japanese people all my adult life and really love their culture. I am currently in the middle of a personal business deal with someone just south of Tokyo and 2 days ago received an email apologising for the inconvenience and saying they will make sure the currently planned schedule (organised and booked before the earthquake) will be adhered to. I was stunned and quite humbled. Despite me offering to delay it for them they are organising themselves to keep to our agreement.

They own a lovely Boarding Kennel and have opened it up (for no cost) to Westerners who wish to leave Japan and cannot take their pets with them. They will care for them until they decide how to go forward with their pets future.

I have always found these people honorable and great to deal with - here is another extreme example of this.

Thanks GasOLane.

Gaela

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #362
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO
I'm just glad we are nuclear free, but I do feel for the people of japan but not for their government. As they have done alot of bad things over the years to mother nature.
We dont have nuclear generated power, but we do have a working nuclear reactor at Lucas Heights.
Old 18-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #363
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i can`t help thinking how brave the workers at the power stations are, reading how some workers said good bye to their families and marched off to do their duty, knowing it may well be a death sentance.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #364
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
i can`t help thinking how brave the workers at the power stations are, reading how some workers said good bye to their families and marched off to do their duty, knowing it may well be a death sentance.
To most Japanese this is the honourable thing to do, in theory should bode well for them in the after life.

The thing most outstanding in all of this for me is the respect and civilised manner that all of them are showing to each other, they are working together better than most sports teams could ever hope for, not just supposed civilised western countries could learn from this, the whole world should take note that this is the way we should work with and treat each other.

Massive respect to the Japanese in the wake of possibly the worst natural disaster ever.
Old 18-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #365
colinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT
Went to give you "Thanks" for what is the best post I have read for some time, only to find that I was about to delete the thanks already given. :( (Annoying system and mentioned to Russell that we need to try and change this.)

I have had much to do with Japanese people all my adult life and really love their culture. I am currently in the middle of a personal business deal with someone just south of Tokyo and 2 days ago received an email apologising for the inconvenience and saying they will make sure the currently planned schedule (organised and booked before the earthquake) will be adhered to. I was stunned and quite humbled. Despite me offering to delay it for them they are organising themselves to keep to our agreement.

They own a lovely Boarding Kennel and have opened it up (for no cost) to Westerners who wish to leave Japan and cannot take their pets with them. They will care for them until they decide how to go forward with their pets future.

I have always found these people honorable and great to deal with - here is another extreme example of this.

Thanks GasOLane.

Gaela
Agreed. I have a number of friends living there (Japanese and non Japanese). I've belonged to a Japanese organisation for some years and have hosted and been hosted by Japanese people a number of times. On one trip there, a friend lost his wallet at a night club at Marugame. We couldn't get back there until the next evening. When we did, his wallet was still on the table were he left it and nothing had been taken!

Another time we had just arrived in Tadotsu were we were staying. We thought we would get some drinks and relax. On the way in we passed a vending machine that sold beer and sake a couple of blocks down the road. On the way there we decided we needed some cup's. There was a small shop that we were passing so we went in to buy some, but the lady didn't have any. After a few minutes of walking further down the street we hear someone calling out. It was the lady from the shop. She had gone to a friends place and got some disposable cups for us. She would accept no payment at all for these!
Old 18-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #366
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 FOON
To most Japanese this is the honourable thing to do, in theory should bode well for them in the after life.

The thing most outstanding in all of this for me is the respect and civilised manner that all of them are showing to each other, they are working together better than most sports teams could ever hope for, not just supposed civilised western countries could learn from this, the whole world should take note that this is the way we should work with and treat each other.

Massive respect to the Japanese in the wake of possibly the worst natural disaster ever.
i completely agree with your sentiments on the way humanity should interact, but just had to interject. The Indonesian tsunami in 2004 killed a reported 225,000 people. Also the worst natural disaster (earthquake) was reported to be in China in the 1500's, killing an estimated 830,000 people.

Granted there are no completed official tolls for Japan at this stage, and it's a horrific event, but far from the worst.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #367
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
We dont have nuclear generated power, but we do have a working nuclear reactor at Lucas Heights.
Where's Lucas Heights?
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #368
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Where's Lucas Heights?
Lucas Heights was suburb on the outskirts of the Sydney metropolitan area, it is now firmly part of Sydney's suburban sprawl. It has been operational since the 1960's (I think), underwent a major redevelopment/expansion a couple of years ago too.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #369
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap
Lucas Heights was suburb on the outskirts of the Sydney metropolitan area, it is now firmly part of Sydney's suburban sprawl. It has been operational since the 1960's (I think), underwent a major redevelopment/expansion a couple of years ago too.
Ok thanks for that, I knew they use to do some testing but didn't know we had a working reactor. I'm just glad it's no where near me.
Old 18-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #370
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 FOON

Here Here, they deserve all the accolades.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #371
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Ok thanks for that, I knew they use to do some testing but didn't know we had a working reactor. I'm just glad it's no where near me.
Yeah you should relax and not worry about nuclear stuff, besides you're probably surrounded with factories/industries which process know carcinogenic or poisonous products every day. Feel safe in knowing these industries do not have anywhere near the safety standards or features which are inherent in a nuclear facility.
Old 18-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #372
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just saw the tv news on SBS. Gobsmacked that people are living on less than a handful of rice per day.
How is this possible in a first-world country that must have thousands of helicopters ? Because of the huge numbers of people who need help ?
Getting rice, pickles, water, and blankets to everybody shouldn't be that difficult but obviously is.
It just shows that the veneer of civilisation is very thin.
shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #373
colinl

A mate of mine lives in Tokyo, he was telling me that there simply isn't anything in the shops. Another lives in Chiba, he told me last weekend that the queues at his local supermakets were stretching around the block, and that the shops hadn't any deliveries of bread, pasta or noodles since last Friday and at that stage people were panic buying rice.

I guess they are focusing on the huge numbers of displaced people that lack shelter and heating in a near freezing climate. Japan also has a very small per capita self defence force so I would think their emergency response capability to be very stressed.
Old 18-03-2011, 08:09 PM   #374
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Kao and Hiroshi are speaking with me via Facebook and they are all looking after each other and their fellow countrymen. These people know how to take civilization to another level. They are sharing resources and looking out for each other - not by chance but with purpose. We could take a big leaf out of their book.

Gaela

Quote:

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
Old 18-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #375
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcoupe
Just saw the tv news on SBS. Gobsmacked that people are living on less than a handful of rice per day.
How is this possible in a first-world country that must have thousands of helicopters ? Because of the huge numbers of people who need help ?
Getting rice, pickles, water, and blankets to everybody shouldn't be that difficult but obviously is.
It just shows that the veneer of civilisation is very thin.

The JSDF only has about 20 Chinooks, which would be stretched very thin at the moment.... along with some 35 blackhawks.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #376
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The civilian helicopter fleet must be large (?).
Surely rice and blankets can be airdropped from fixed-wing aircraft without significant damage ?
Gritty rice is better than no rice, though rice is hard to find in snow .....
Old 18-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #377
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Kao has just responded and here it is from the horses mouth (just south west of Tokyo):

From Kao:

The vending machine is full.
The restaurant is usual.People looks usually.
Trains,and Highway is recovering.
However, We can not buy gasoline of the car.
but do'nt worry too much.We are safe.
dogs,family,friends,kennels are all safe.
Thank you for a lot of comments and messege.

CLUMBER UP BOARDING KENNEL
Hamamatsu, Shizuoka ready to help!

Please note everybody who has a dog and who has decide to leave Japan
for a while and you can't take your dog with you.

If you can not bring your dogs when you decide to leave Japan,
our boarding kennel is open.
Hamamatsu area is safe.
We can support foreign people who lives in Japan with their dogs.

We can speak English and take care of your dogs
while you're in your own country.

We have large dog runs,take care of dogs with love,
Dogs can relax and stay in safe.

CLUMBER UP BOARDING KENNEL.
clumberup@yahoo.co.jp
053-545-0537

Share this message, please!!
We are ready to help foreign people who have to go back to their own country.

xxKao

Quote:

Old 18-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #378
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The civilian helicopter fleet must be large (?).
Surely rice and blankets can be airdropped from fixed-wing aircraft without significant damage ?
Gritty rice is better than no rice, though rice is hard to find in snow .....
I dont know if the JSDF actually practices palletized dropping of stores.
The problem is the terrain, a high altitude drop means its not too accurate, and one at low level would be near impossible due to the fact there isnt much flat terrain there for a C130 to fly along safely.
Plus the fact its now snowing in certain areas which will mean a "white out" condition and no aircraft will probably be flying out there as its far too dangerous.

Old 18-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #379
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Assuming clearish conditions, could a light aircraft or a C-130 could drop from 500 feet if the normal air-safety rules were suspended for a while ?
Or is the topography just too unsuitable ?
Old 18-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #380
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap
Yeah you should relax and not worry about nuclear stuff, besides you're probably surrounded with factories/industries which process know carcinogenic or poisonous products every day. Feel safe in knowing these industries do not have anywhere near the safety standards or features which are inherent in a nuclear facility.
Still not safer then not having them around at all, IMO. I don't know much about nuclear reactors, but I know I don't want to be anywhere around them.
Old 18-03-2011, 09:00 PM   #381
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Assuming clearish conditions, could a light aircraft or a C-130 could drop from 500 feet if the normal air-safety rules were suspended for a while ?
Or is the topography just too unsuitable ?

The military dont need permission to do drops in civil emergency even below 500ft (at least in most countries and im guessing the same in Japan).

As i said there isnt much flat land from the TV footage ive seen, but yes other areas certainly seem flat along the coast.
We may not be seeing all the efforts being carried out?
There is also a logistical nightmare, not to mention that at least one air force base was swept away, with reports of loss of life of military personel.

Old 19-03-2011, 02:24 AM   #382
bungarra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
The military dont need permission to do drops in civil emergency even below 500ft (at least in most countries and im guessing the same in Japan).

As i said there isnt much flat land from the TV footage ive seen, but yes other areas certainly seem flat along the coast.
We may not be seeing all the efforts being carried out?
There is also a logistical nightmare, not to mention that at least one air force base was swept away, with reports of loss of life of military personel.
Talking to a friend in Japan, there has been some air drops from US Aircraft and the US military is doing aid missions as well as coolant delivery to the reactors.

As fo the Lucas Height OPAL reactor,it is one of the safest if not the safest design. It is not the high efficiency breeder type reactor Japan has, but is a lot easier to stop doing melt downs.

If all goes well on a reactor like Lucas Heights which has a good safety record, you would get less radiation exposure in one year living on the fence line than you would if you were a radiologist in a hospital, or you had a dental xray every year.
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #383
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Still not safer then not having them around at all, IMO. I don't know much about nuclear reactors, but I know I don't want to be anywhere around them.
The ANSTO facility in Sydney is just up the road from our home.
Have a look at the website & visit anytime http://www.ansto.gov.au/
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #384
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinl
A mate of mine lives in Tokyo, he was telling me that there simply isn't anything in the shops. Another lives in Chiba, he told me last weekend that the queues at his local supermakets were stretching around the block, and that the shops hadn't any deliveries of bread, pasta or noodles since last Friday and at that stage people were panic buying rice.

I guess they are focusing on the huge numbers of displaced people that lack shelter and heating in a near freezing climate. Japan also has a very small per capita self defence force so I would think their emergency response capability to be very stressed.
FYI http://www.japanquakemap.com/
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #385
colinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
Thanks. Sorry for the confusion, I know where the earth quake happened. I was trying to indicate the wide spread after effects. Things are very chaotic over a wide area. The description I gave was from the perspective of one friend in Tokyo and another from Chiba.

As yet the Japanese government are placing a lot of restrictions on foreign aid activities, as they believe that too many foreign aid workers will add to the already confused situation.
Old 19-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #386
jayc16
Starter Motor

Nuclear reactors although dangerous are the most efficient energy resource available to us at the moment.
So its only logically that they are going to be built, even in Australia, whether people like it or not.
jayc16 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #387
xy500
Constant annoyance

they are not that dangerous, it is just that the consequences are so bad that makes them risky.
Old 19-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #388
colinl

To be honest I don't know much about them. Have they figured out what to about the waste yet? Last time I heard anything regarding this they were just digging holes somewhere and burring the stuff because they didn't know what else to do with it!

I quite like my solar power system. Admittedly it doesn't cover all my power needs, but if I was more careful with power usage it would go close.
Old 19-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #389
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
they are not that dangerous, it is just that the consequences are so bad that makes them risky.
The tsunami cause the real damage to the facility.

Here is a youtube clip which helps explains what happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DyVj...layer_embedded

Assuming Japan still requires electricity, what are the options:

Option 1) Replace the lost nuclear Fukushima with new green power, for example build approximately 200 solar energy stations to replace the Fukushima facility. For many reasons I do not see how this is possible.

Option 2) Replace the capacity from Fukushima with a new coal or gas powered station, but that would be against the greeny mantra.

Option 3) Build a new nuclear facility, with generation 3 reactor technology which is vastly more safe that the Fukushima generation 1 reactor. Locate the new facility near the sea so that prevailing winds can carry away radiation (just in case there is an accident) + the sea has an abundant supply of water which came in handy for the cooling Fukushima's nuclear material.

It would probably be recommended that the new facility have all of its infrastructure at least 100 metres above sea level.
Old 19-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #390
jayc16
Starter Motor

Solar energy isn't really that "green". Although the conversion of sunlight into electricity doesn't create any pollutants, however the manufacturing process of solar panels creates various harmful pollutants for the environment.
I guess each energy conversion technique has their downside.
jayc16 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post