Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #271
RASER
Banned

Thumbs down Re: THE GT335 competitor 300c SRT8 is going to be cheaper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGT
I think it has a reputation for poor handling to overcome (which I beleive the new model has improved on significantly), a reputation for poor quality and finish to overcome (no comment either way) and the ugliest looks in history to overcome (seriously.......that front end.....gawdddddddddddd)
I can handle all that, it is a decades old hand-me-down obsolete E-Class Benz platform after all.

What i REALLY HATE, AND ****'S ME OFF BIG TIME, is selling it in Europe with Lancia badges on it, have Chrysler/Fiat not a ounce of class left?

Great motor in a pile of metal, move on, bring out a new non-gangster model
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #272
Rodge
Banned

Default Re: THE GT335 competitor 300c SRT8 is going to be cheaper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
I can handle all that, it is a decades old hand-me-down obsolete E-Class Benz platform after all.

What i REALLY HATE, AND ****'S ME OFF BIG TIME, is selling it in Europe with Lancia badges on it, have Chrysler/Fiat not a ounce of class left?

Great motor in a pile of metal, move on, bring out a new non-gangster model
You'll have to have patience and i'm not sure they ever had class in the first place to be honest. What they are delivering though is vehicles with basically the same performance and high level's of kit as a Jaguar XFR for a mere fraction of the price. Of course in a "perfect world" they'd look like the Jag too but I think we'll be waiting a while for that to happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-E
The biggest problem Jeep have in Australia are Jeep AU and their dealer network. But in saying that the Ford dealers do not seem to be much better.

A quick bit of info on the CRD Jeep's, there is a piggyback that can be purchased for EU$129 and improves the power/torque by 30%. The new CRD motor is already great, but apparently even better with the piggyback.
You're not alone. The dealer network in New Zealand is pretty poor too. e.g. we have two Jeep / Chrysler dealers for all of Auckland's 1.5 million population and they're both owned by the same company...based on my dealing with them on the day of the SRT8 test drive I'd speculate they'd be a pretty tough outfit to deal with.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #273
RASER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
You'll have to have patience and i'm not sure they ever had class in the first place to be honest. What they are delivering though is vehicles with basically the same performance and high level's of kit as a Jaguar XFR for a mere fraction of the price. Of course in a "perfect world" they'd look like the Jag too but I think we'll be waiting a while for that to happen .
Lancia are God

To think that a 300C is in the same class as a Jaguar i think you are dreaming a bit, i doubt a Jaguar buying is going to cross shop a Chrysler product, BMW, AUDI, LEXUS and M.BENZ yes, Chrysler no

Fiat Group have done the best with a old 300C as they can, be interested in the effort they can do on the new generation job, all going to take time, they are getting there!

At the end of the day it competes with similar priced [in USA] Ford's and GM products, thats it.

For this sort of money [here], the new VF HSV is going to be hard to beat, but i HATE the boy racer look that current HSV have, forget Clubsport, call it Bogansport
Old 05-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #274
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
The dealer network in New Zealand is pretty poor too. e.g. we have two Jeep / Chrysler dealers for all of Auckland's 1.5 million population and they're both owned by the same company...based on my dealing with them on the day of the SRT8 test drive I'd speculate they'd be a pretty tough outfit to deal with.
Rodge, curious if you had any follow up "hounding" from the Jeep/Chrysler dealer after your test drive?
Over here a test drive is like putting a hawkers and salesmen "most welcome" sign on your door (and phone) They see the test drive as a licence to pursue you til the cows come home with pressure tactics/once only deals.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #275
Rodge
Banned

No mate...but its pretty much the same pesky routine here and I agree with you, its tiresome and I knew it would come so I took the pre-emptive move of e.mailing the dealer a few days afterwards and expressing my thanks for the opportunity along with my opinion that it'll be a much betetr car with the forthcoming ZF. I'd bet money they'll be on the phone when they have one with the new gearbox next year...

That said I don't really mind the "hounding" routine all that much as I reckon its all part of the game and reckon its always better to let them chase you than the other way. If they think you're too keen they use that to their advantage don't you think ?

Last edited by Rodge; 05-09-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #276
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool
Rodge, curious if you had any follow up "hounding" from the Jeep/Chrysler dealer after your test drive?
Over here a test drive is like putting a hawkers and salesmen "most welcome" sign on your door (and phone) They see the test drive as a licence to pursue you til the cows come home with pressure tactics/once only deals.
Finding the same thing with Open House days and booked inspections.
Looking doesnt mean you want to buy it automatically.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #277
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, that's right Rodge. Best to let them chase you. When I bought the GTP in 2003 I let the salesman do all the calling and managed to get a cracker deal. But, in the case of the R-Spec I made the approach. It didn't turn out too bad though as it managed to put a cap on the price.
GTP534 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #278
Rodge
Banned

Yeap, you still did well Jim in the context of it being a brand new limited edition release and I'll bet you're looking forward to your R Spec How many more sleeps mate ?
Old 05-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #279
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the only way an au could look hot is if you own one,to me its like getting on the drink big time and waking up next to some fugly chick.i couldnt face either one first thing in the morning and i would be running down the street with a towel wrapped round my behind in full flight trying to forget about what i had just seen.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #280
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by noosacuda
And y'all think the 300c is ugly? Um, have you ever notice the "lovely" AU Falcons made by Ford Australia? Now they ARE ugly!
too each his own, to me it looks sorta weird in the front, the old model looked good, but i`m an AU driver what would i know.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #281
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by noosacuda
And y'all think the 300c is ugly? Um, have you ever notice the "lovely" AU Falcons made by Ford Australia? Now they ARE ugly!
Hmmm! Each to their own, however I'm fairly content with my two AU's and the way they look.
I could not justify the $98500 on the road for a GT-P as nice as they are. Beautiful motorcar without a doubt.
The straight line performance of the 300, on paper at least, does look impressive for a vhicle of 1900 plus kgs.
I wonder what they are like if you throw a few twisty bits in the mix.
Nonetheless, they would appeal to some and not to others.
Its the way the world spins.

Last edited by J.C.; 05-09-2012 at 07:28 PM.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #282
Kryton

And this thread has anything at all to do with AU's because........................
Old 05-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #283
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
too each his own, to me it looks sorta weird in the front, the old model looked good, but i`m an AU driver what would i know.
for an AU owner to call another car ugly, it must be hideous !!!
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #284
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryton
And this thread has anything at all to do with AU's because........................
because the scale of car ugliness was brought up.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #285
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
because the scale of car ugliness was brought up.
Which is totally irralevant to either the 335 or the SRT8 - which the thread is about.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #286
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Nothing will kill threads quicker than a discussion on the looks of the AU as it is a FORD FORUM actually .... everything is subjective but please do not crap on those who do own and enjoy these cars. That is primarily why this site exists.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #287
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryton
Which is totally irralevant to either the 335 or the SRT8 - which the thread is about.
sometimes ugly just creeps into the conversation,this is such a case and when it happens ford australia's ugly evil twin sister that usually belongs in the cellar pops her head up and that sister isnt little sister xb,it isnt even unwanted sister ea.yes you can bet your manhood whenever ulgy and ford is in the same sentence au will come up.im sorry if you cant get your brain around this after 13 years but you better get used to it cause people will be talking about this for the next 200+ years,long after you and me have gone to the skunk works in the sky.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #288
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyway, I went to the local Chrysler joint yesterday. They had a few v6 models there. Petrol and diesel and they looked pretty great. Heaps of features for the money. There were no SRT8s, but he said a fully loaded SRT drive away will be close to 80k.
Not bad compared to some cars out there.

I want, but can't afford.
Ben73 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #289
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeap, you still did well Jim in the context of it being a brand new limited edition release and I'll bet you're looking forward to your R Spec How many more sleeps mate ?
Should be in the dealership tomorrow or Friday. I think we're looking at first thing next week which is a bit of a bummer as I was hoping to have her this weekend but still, it's worth the wait!
Old 06-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #290
TEKILA
formerly AU_bullet

Well after a lot of looking around for a new car I bit the bullet and went with an SRT8. I was looking at that next level of car from my G6ET with all the features and technology and an engine to boot.

I looked at FPV GT's - love the engine and the brand to death, but disappointed in feature/technology comparative to price.
HSV - didnt bother and I couldnt drive a HSV (no offence)
Looked at Audi/BMW - both nice cars but no punch engine wise.

Ended up getting white with black chrome package and dual pane sunroof.

For those that would like to know, I took it for test drive and the handling is excellent. I was extremely impressed for such a "large/heavy" car. It has a 3 mode adaptive dampening suspension (normal/sport/track) which stiffens the suspension. Straight line it hammers, nice throaty exhaust note and 4 piston brembos all round help it stop in a hurry.

Looking at an 8 week wait and 8 weeks to sell the G6ET.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #291
RASER
Banned

Smile Re: THE GT335 competitor 300c SRT8 is going to be cheaper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKILA
Well after a lot of looking around for a new car I bit the bullet and went with an SRT8. I was looking at that next level of car from my G6ET with all the features and technology and an engine to boot.

I looked at FPV GT's - love the engine and the brand to death, but disappointed in feature/technology comparative to price.

For those that would like to know, I took it for test drive and the handling is excellent. I was extremely impressed for such a "large/heavy" car. It has a 3 mode adaptive dampening suspension (normal/sport/track) which stiffens the suspension. Straight line it hammers, nice throaty exhaust note and 4 piston brembos all round help it stop in a hurry.

Well done, hope it meets your expectations!

Post some photos, looks like a nice colour package you have combined.

I too dont like the Bogan looking HSV either, just a bodge looking thing.

Understand your issue with the FPV's, they really are light on toys the customers now require

Good luck brother with the "8 weeks" :-)
Old 06-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #292
TEKILA
formerly AU_bullet

Yeah I questioned the 8 weeks delivery when I was first told this. I used to be in the industry and made the dealer aware of it too! apparently the car has been built and ready to go it is an August car and is just waiting to be shipped.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #293
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Congratulations Tekila; looks like you've done your research. I was also heavily tempted to get an SRT8, mainly because of the tech/features but at the end of the day decided to stick with FPV (R-Spec) as I gave the engine/ZF transmission package of the FPV more weighting.

We should all be able to appreciate these fine cars and I wish you many enjoyable drives.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 06-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #294
TEKILA
formerly AU_bullet

thanks Jim. I've been looking for about 2 months or more now. Never have I looked for a car for so long, I didnt even think about it when I stepped into the G6ET.
But now with so much competition in the market I just had to look. I still claim myself as a ford man thru and thru though!
Brad
Old 06-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #295
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKILA

Congrats. To the best of my knowledge from main forum comments and PM's received, everyone who has seriously considered and reviewed one of these SRT8's seems to be very impressed by them. I am sure you will thoroughly enjoy it

Would I be correct is observing you didn't seem to have much trouble ordering one for delivery this year ?
Old 06-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #296
TEKILA
formerly AU_bullet

No I didnt have an issue ordering one for deliverythis year. The problem they are having at the moment is the black chrome package - they apparently are not supplying cars with this until further notice as they are having supplier problems. Worst case scenario with mine I will have the wheels painted gloss black and wont look bad any way. There is a shipment of about 100ish cars and a lot of them are being snapped up. Most are coming with sunroofs and only white, pearl white or black. Grey and other colours will have to wait until Jan at least, which was way too far for me. Im happy with waiting 8 weeks.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #297
Rodge
Banned

Thanks. Sounds good, congrats again. I'm not surprised they're being snapped up. I'd speculate the biggest wait would be on the Cherry Red ?

Last edited by Rodge; 06-09-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #298
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I was looking the dealer said 1 in 4 would be an SRT8 so they're probably expecting a good takeup on this model. Supply for this year was not a problem (well at least not 6 weeks ago), about 8 to 12 weeks delivery. Black chrome was a late "availability" in the USA.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #299
XWGT