Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Manual or automatic?
I own / drive / prefer vehicles with manual gearboxes 435 68.08%
I own / drive / prefer vehicles with automatic transmissions 204 31.92%
Voters: 639. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 11:24 AM   #271
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by v gate
Yes i do xagt top loader. I thought v gate would give it away.

If you think manuals are just as consistant as auto's for drag cars you have no idea what you are talking about.

You asked the original question and i answered it, I didnt realise you wanted to argue about it,it takes a good driver to get consistant times out of a manual, you dont think it does.

Then again you could probly launch a funny car perfectly the first time you got in it........ :
Old 02-06-2007, 08:51 PM   #272
v gate

Your the 1 who wants to argue. your claim is that an auto is more consistant. i see it as the driver as being the fault. A properly set up car shouldnt have any probs. So sorry to upset you oh great 1 from drag heaven. and as for the funny car crack at least i wouldnt have an auto.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:02 PM   #273
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Your the 1 who wants to argue. your claim is that an auto is more consistant. i see it as the driver as being the fault. A properly set up car shouldnt have any probs. So sorry to upset you oh great 1 from drag heaven. and as for the funny car crack at least i wouldnt have an auto.

Good to see your first 10 posts on this forum have been productive one's.......

Maybe have a look what sort of trans 9 out of 10 drag cars have mate, and there's a reason for that.

Auto= more consistant.
Auto=stronger trans.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:56 PM   #274
burnz
VFII SS UTE

i drive an auto now simply because im lazy.
in 1/4 mile terms an auto is cheaper. build,setup
Old 03-06-2007, 01:28 PM   #275
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
I prefer manuals - when they have automated manual gearboxes - a manual with an automated clutch, which is different to an auto with manual shift - I will switch to them.
they aready produce auto-shift manuals. the transit has a push button auto which is actually a manual box with a traditional clutch and all. after puttin it in gear and releasing the brake the van goes nowhere till you accelerate. then when it changes gear it will automaticlly clutch-in and select the next gear. it's a strange feeling the first time you drive one

50th Anniv G6E Turbo in Sensation
Cobalt blue 94 ED XR8 Sprint- resto/ project
Old 03-06-2007, 01:30 PM   #276
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

I drive my gf's manual and my auto. Im **** at hill starts though.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:38 PM   #277
v gate

pro stock doorslammer t/a super stock . nearly all these classes run man trans in 1 form or another very rarely do you see an auto unless its in a auto only class. why because manuals are simply faster no ifs or buts about it. the majority of autos tend to stay in super sed /street /gas. and maybe 50/50 outlaws. As for them being a stronger thats your opinion ill back a lenco witch can also run a converter but not often seen as most guys prefer the adjustability of a clutch to suit differing conditions and surfaces. With an auto you loose some of your tuning . At the end of the day drag racing is about getting to the other end as fast as possible and imho to many people throw the baby out with bath water. dont get me wrong autos have their place (tow car haha) i just think people dont put enough time into setting the car up to run numbers with a man box. The only thing that has been put forward is consistancy i guess you are refering to missed shifts. Well thats not the boxs fault it only does what it is told to do (human error). Or is it launching. Providing you have your clutch adjusted your suspension set up good tyre (same deal as an auto) you really should have a good run and enjoy it twice as much . oh yeh sorry 4 only having 10 posts and an opinion its from pushing the clutch in
Old 03-06-2007, 02:19 PM   #278
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
pro stock doorslammer t/a super stock . nearly all these classes run man trans in 1 form or another very rarely do you see an auto unless its in a auto only class. why because manuals are simply faster no ifs or buts about it. the majority of autos tend to stay in super sed /street /gas. and maybe 50/50 outlaws. As for them being a stronger thats your opinion ill back a lenco witch can also run a converter but not often seen as most guys prefer the adjustability of a clutch to suit differing conditions and surfaces. With an auto you loose some of your tuning . At the end of the day drag racing is about getting to the other end as fast as possible and imho to many people throw the baby out with bath water. dont get me wrong autos have their place (tow car haha) i just think people dont put enough time into setting the car up to run numbers with a man box. The only thing that has been put forward is consistancy i guess you are refering to missed shifts. Well thats not the boxs fault it only does what it is told to do (human error). Or is it launching. Providing you have your clutch adjusted your suspension set up good tyre (same deal as an auto) you really should have a good run and enjoy it twice as much . oh yeh sorry 4 only having 10 posts and an opinion its from pushing the clutch in
it good to see someone who has a working knowlage of the manuel gearbox.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:33 PM   #279
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Then why is it so bludy hard to get a manual Falcon.

I think the resale is better for manual Falcons are better too so cmon people start buying them!
Old 03-06-2007, 08:08 PM   #280
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
Then why is it so bludy hard to get a manual Falcon.

I think the resale is better for manual Falcons are better too so cmon people start buying them!
yep the resale of any brand is better, let aloan ford !
manual is rare mostly because of the buisines market, and caused
the auto market to plummet.
think if the buisines's all driving manuel's woudn't they become a dime a dozen
Old 03-06-2007, 08:16 PM   #281
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I bought my manual because I was buying new and didn't want to spend the extra money for the auto box. Before this I had only driven manual a few times in my mates car. (That same mate drove my new car home from the dealer lol).

If I were to buy another car it would be a tough choice, seeing as there is so many of these new auto boxes that have manual functions, and 6 speeds will soon become the norm across the board.

The only time I cringe driving a standard old fashioned manual with a clutch is when I need to reverse the car up a steep drive way that also has a bend in it.....
Old 03-06-2007, 08:19 PM   #282
burnz
VFII SS UTE

irony: a manuel is cheaper to buy
but pulls a premium on resale
Old 03-06-2007, 08:28 PM   #283
Flouro_Joe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
irony: a manuel is cheaper to buy
but pulls a premium on resale
Who pays more for a S/H manual? nobody I know. They are cheaper to BUY, cheaper to RUN and are faster, and more thrashable. When I sold my last manual I was amazed a the two clowns that test drove it. They couldn't drive manuals but "wanted to learn". One brought his mate along to test drive it for him. Ended up selling it to a nice country girl who COULD drive it.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:32 AM   #284
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:

Yeah mate, I drive a manual ex-drag car, will you listen to my opinion now that you no i drive a MANUAL.....??????

As for your argument about which box is better for street car drags,which is the type of drags i assumed you were talking about, the auto is the better box.

Then again, im not an expert like yourself.......
Old 05-06-2007, 01:24 PM   #285
Sm0kinup
TYRE FRYER

Dropping the clutch at 5-6k revs!!! PURE SEX!!!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2007, 11:11 PM   #286
proshift
Starter Motor

you have to be joking!! 3v how streetable do you think an auto with 5000 stall and a trans brake is ?
Old 05-06-2007, 11:15 PM   #287
proshift
Starter Motor

3v how do you make a " x " drag car, and how do you street drive it ?
Old 06-06-2007, 09:17 AM   #288
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by proshift
you have to be joking!! 3v how streetable do you think an auto with 5000 stall and a trans brake is ?

I dont no mate, cos mine isnt an auto with trans brake or 5000 hi-stall.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:25 AM   #289
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
3v how do you make a " x " drag car, and how do you street drive it ?

Because the fellow i bought it of used it for racing and promoting his hi-performance shop in melbourne, now it doesnt race, hence it being an "X" drag car.

When i street drive it, I get in it turn the key warm it up and drive it,it's surprisingly easy.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:44 PM   #290
proshift
Starter Motor

so it not realy a drag car then ? what numbers did it run, and what box and clutch did it use ?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:15 AM   #291
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
so it not realy a drag car then ? what numbers did it run, and what box and clutch did it use ?

12.7 at 109mph,mal wood 5 speed, textralia clutch.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:06 PM   #292
v gate

Nup got my own opinion already. But thanks anyway. Expert i aint but i have spent some time dickin around with my car and ive helped my mates out with theirs. Believe it or not i even crewed for a guy with an auto. the guys that are slow with the manual just havnt got their set up right yet to be consistant. and lets face it most people at a street meet go to chase et,s. After all if we were only chasing consistancy we would all just have stockies and whack em in drive. I race 4 max fun as does most people and the most fun (and satisfaction) is with a manual. I dont care if people choose auto thats their choice and if we all had the same ideas it would be boring.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:16 PM   #293
bigAl
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm0kinup
Dropping the clutch at 5-6k revs!!! PURE SEX!!!!!!!!
Exactly

Autos are for pussys
Old 07-06-2007, 01:56 PM   #294
KingLemmywinks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigAl
Exactly

Autos are for pussys

Thats a realy mean thing to say, I drive a 93 festiva trio which is an automatic and i dont consider myself a pussy.

I realy think people should think before saying things like that and hurting people's feelings.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:23 PM   #295
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLemmywinks
I drive a 93 festiva trio which is an automatic and i dont consider myself a pussy.
Looks like it's time to update my signature
Old 07-06-2007, 02:24 PM   #296
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

^^^ Gold :P

I've always driven autos... but really enjoy driving manual cars...

Try finding an E-series V8 Manual, thats not an XR8 though!!!
One day the NF will be manual...

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Old 08-06-2007, 06:05 PM   #297
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigAl
Exactly

Autos are for pussys
Doug, the 13.75 N/A I6, BA..

Tell me, that'a a 4 speed auto right?

Now fastest Ba I6 in Oz??? Correct?????

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Old 13-06-2007, 11:59 AM   #298
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Best time was 12.7 at 109mph, the car ran(and still does) a mal wood 5 speed with a textralia racing clutch,dropped exhaust, full race trim with stripped interior.

I can happily say that in the cars previous life it was a drag car, which in my opinion makes it an "X" drag car.
Old 13-06-2007, 06:41 PM   #299
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

YESSSSSS! i can finally vote!!! bought myself a manual EL GLi on tuesday! and of course im still rubbish at driving it, having only had about 30 mins practise in it. But now im driving what i want! weeeeee!
Old 16-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #300
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

For Falcman0o7
Closed Thread