Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #271
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Getting out of scope of this thread all the insurance talk, but a rep from an insurance company was interviewed before.

He says that there only two types of policies: One is for flash flooding/ storm surge, this is like what happened in Toowoomba.... that is a flash flood.

The other was for tidal surge (i think), which is where either a river breaks its banks and causes flooding, such as what happened in Brisbane. (or king tides which cause flooding in low laying areas).

Flash flooding is covered in most basic insurance policies (it may be called something else).... the tidal/ river surge flooding is not.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #272
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
I think this could easily turn into a civil law suit as someone already mentioned as a result of not being covered.
How... If you arent covered by your policies then I cant see how you can sue the insurer. Each policy should have it covered in the disclosure statement!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 06:49 PM   #273
wicksy
Just a bogan VF SS driver

alot of people in emerald arent covered with their insurance as it was flash flooding or tidal, which is a bit of a bummer
Old 13-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #274
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

RE: the PDS, Yaw is right, all policies differ.

During the recent floods here, albeit much smaller than in Toowomba/Bris, two families living on a rural properties next to each other near a creek with different insurers.

One was covered for flooding, the other wasn't.
Old 13-01-2011, 07:36 PM   #275
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
How... If you arent covered by your policies then I cant see how you can sue the insurer. Each policy should have it covered in the disclosure statement!
Im not saying they will, but some may feel entitled to try and get the cash from somewhere in maybe suing the government or who ever for the damages rather than copping it on the chin and starting again.

I doubt they will succeed, but I dont doubt people will still try it.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #276
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose

He says that there only two types of policies: One is for flash flooding/ storm surge, this is like what happened in Toowoomba.... that is a flash flood.

The other was for tidal surge (i think), which is where either a river breaks its banks and causes flooding, such as what happened in Brisbane. (or king tides which cause flooding in low laying areas).

Flash flooding is covered in most basic insurance policies (it may be called something else).... the tidal/ river surge flooding is not.
After further reading of the PDS, i believe this is correct. Flash flooding is called 'storm and rain water' and is covered. Tidal surge is simply called 'Flood' and that is definitely not covered.

In my opinion, it's a bit grey and gives the insurance company a 'get out clause', this is highlighted by the above example of two adjacent properties, one is covered one isn't.

I really do feel for those who are deemed to be not covered after they lost everything. Devastating stuff.
XESP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 08:05 PM   #277
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
No it didn't. It was built to mitigate against just such an event and even raised in recent years. I'd bet Brisbane received both the Lockyer Valley inflow, plus a large percentage of containment water simultaneously when the gates were opened up. There won't be an independent review, but there should be.

If Wivenhoe hadn't been built...I wouldn't be sitting here typing this.

Wivenhoe holds nearly 3 million megalitres...the flooding that we have had even with Wivenhoe is a good indication of how much water has flowed through. It's all well and good to say there should be an independent review...but you can't have missed all the rain we had. No amount of planning could have prevented this flooding (unless there was another dam the size of Wivenhoe). And even if this was viable, hindsight is always 20/20...in this instance, it wasn't the case.

Yes, the release from Wivenhoe caused issues for the CBD, but to be honest, I think the devastation that occurred in the Lockyer Valley, Toowoomba, Rockhampton, Emerald, Grantham, etc. has certainly been enough for these people.

I think there may be a few too many people putting a little too much pressure on the powers that be instead of understanding that as it stands now, it's a 'natural disaster'.

Nobody is perfect, please don't try and blame someone for this, it doesn't help. If this isn't in fact what you're saying, I'll apologise in advance, I may have misread exactly what you're trying to say.

The fact that most of the news reporting is focusing on the centre of Brisbane is frustrating, particularly given that most of the damage to both livelihoods and lives has occurred outside the CBD whereby the people had no warning and no way of escaping, and the fact that Goondiwindi is now at risk and other parts of Northern NSW.

The important thing is that people are doing their absolute best, including the Premier, to keep this situation under control and trying to restore some normality to what has destroyed and disrupted the lives of many - these people have nothing, and nowhere to go. Instead they are relying on the good will of their neighbours and the generosity of strangers.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 08:36 PM   #278
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
If Wivenhoe hadn't been built...I wouldn't be sitting here typing this.

Wivenhoe holds nearly 3 million megalitres...the flooding that we have had even with Wivenhoe is a good indication of how much water has flowed through. It's all well and good to say there should be an independent review...but you can't have missed all the rain we had. No amount of planning could have prevented this flooding (unless there was another dam the size of Wivenhoe). And even if this was viable, hindsight is always 20/20...in this instance, it wasn't the case.
This x100

I came here to post exactly that.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #279
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can the Dam be enlarged to hold more water?
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #280
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked

Would take a mammoth engineering feet to do, i would think, as not only the top made higher but the base would need to be made exponentially wider to cope with the extra weight baring down and against it, esp. in times of sever flood.

Personally, i think that anyone who thinks that the dam(s) made things worse has blinders on. Most dam's in this country were built for two purposes. Irrigation (including drinking water) and flood control. If Wivenhoe wasn't there Brissy would have copped all the water from Toowoomba and the Lockyer Valley in one hit, instead they have reduced the speed in which the water hit Brisbane which would have caused much more devastation and damage, most probably taking more lives.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 09:01 PM   #281
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Once all this is over, there will be time to look back and see what could have been done better. There will be lessons to learn which will be able to be applied next time - and hopefully, that is not for a long, long time.

There are already lessons for everyone in Australia:
- What exactly DOES your insurance cover. I'd suggest that a lot of people in QLD did not consider themselves to be at risk of flood, or didn't consider the possibility of an event like this one.

- If you had to evacuate, what would you take with you ? Where would you go ?
While the chance of a flood may be low - what about a gas leak or burst water main, chemical spill ??
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 09:34 PM   #282
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
No it didn't. It was built to mitigate against just such an event and even raised in recent years. I'd bet Brisbane received both the Lockyer Valley inflow, plus a large percentage of containment water simultaneously when the gates were opened up. There won't be an independent review, but there should be.
FFS, there is more pressing issues at hand right now then a bloody review. As has been said if it werent for Wivenhoe me along with A LOT of other people wouldnt be here today
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 09:50 PM   #283
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1183
Would take a mammoth engineering feet to do, i would think, as not only the top made higher but the base would need to be made exponentially wider to cope with the extra weight baring down and against it, esp. in times of sever flood.

Personally, i think that anyone who thinks that the dam(s) made things worse has blinders on. Most dam's in this country were built for two purposes. Irrigation (including drinking water) and flood control. If Wivenhoe wasn't there Brissy would have copped all the water from Toowoomba and the Lockyer Valley in one hit, instead they have reduced the speed in which the water hit Brisbane which would have caused much more devastation and damage, most probably taking more lives.

Just a note the water from toowoomba and lockyer valley does not go anywhere near the wivenhoe it goes into the bremer river which goes though ipswich and than into brisbane river.

dams do help but there needs to be more of them.

Ian
Old 13-01-2011, 09:59 PM   #284
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Then there are the unlucky MANY who were unable to take out insurance at all against river rise inundation because insurers know they were vulnerable. Know a couple of guys who are well off with flash joints that got swamped at chelmer and yeronga they are uninsured against this type of occurence because nobody would insure them!!!
Lucky for them they are well off enough to rebuild, but the majority won't be.

I would also like to declare that we have a spare room and double bed with all facilities and some room for storage available to any affected that need it, I would be more than happy to come and pick up also, please don't hestate to ask, we are at Capalaba.
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #285
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I am really trying to bite my tongue on this one.. the "Traveston Dam Project",
which MABO and the greenies got overturned.. please correct me if i'm wrong ?
It would have taken till 2017 to finish i believe , but just maybe a future occurance like this may be lessened...

And instead of people jumping up and down about their land being reclaimed , at least they will have money to show for it instead of an "Act of nature', taking away all they possess and the countless innocent lives lost... sorry but i just had to mention this , i will butt out now ..
Darren.
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 10:22 PM   #286
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDIE
Just a note the water from toowoomba and lockyer valley does not go anywhere near the wivenhoe it goes into the bremer river which goes though ipswich and than into brisbane river.

Ian
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockyer_Creek

lockyer ck flows into the brisbane river near lowood.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 10:38 PM   #287
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Some more pics. This time taken closer to the city.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...71#post3525471

Oo\===/oO
Old 13-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #288
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Some more pics. This time taken closer to the city.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...71#post3525471
As usual some stellar shots Peuty, the syringes are a little concerning though, where was that taken?

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #289
davez104
Landau = GT with the lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Getting out of scope of this thread all the insurance talk, but a rep from an insurance company was interviewed before.

Pretty much right. Here's a link to a story from the 2008 floods that we had up this way. Mackay suffered flooding caused by heavy rain in the local Mackay area, their damages where covered. Emerald suffered flooding from heavy rain in the catchment upstream, their damages where not covered. Storm damage V's Flood damage. http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news...235217203.html
davez104 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #290
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDIE

Ian

Sorry my mistake.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 10:46 PM   #291
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
As usual some stellar shots Peuty, the syringes are a little concerning though, where was that taken?
Very concerning. Thats the laneway that runs beside the Brekkie Creek Hotel.

There were literally dozens of them lying around....

Oo\===/oO
Old 14-01-2011, 12:26 AM   #292
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Well it has been an interesting couple of days here. After losing power for 2 days, we had it restored tonight.

Thankfully we had no water damage to our property, but we are surrounded by the devastation.

Couple of points I'd like to make....

Firstly, if anyone in the Indooroopilly / Toowong / St Lucia / Chelmer area needs any help cleaning up, please PM me. I'll be out tomorrow again trying to lend a hand to anyone who will accept my offer.

Secondly, this was not simply a "CBD flood" that was a "pee in a puddle". Yes it affected the CBD, but the amount of homes that I have seen gone under and the amount of water damage around here is pretty bad. And this properties are not the wealthy ones along the waterfront. Take a look at the Fairfielld, Yeronga regions where water is ABOVE THE ROOF LINE. Come on guys... seriously. My heart goes out to these people who have lost their property or have suffered losses to their property and possesions.

Lastly, if you have been in Brisbane, you will know the amount of rain that we have had over the last 2 -3 months. It has been relentless. The earth year has been waterlogged for ages, and could not take anymore. This has meant that the damns have been above 100% capacity and well into their own flood mitigation levels, so they have to release water, not by choice but by necessity. So couple this with the damaging water that was coming from the Bremer and the king tides that we had all at the same time, and this flood was simply going to happen.

I never thought that I would say this, but my hat goes off to the BCC and SEQ water grid for mitigiang this event as it could have been very very worse. Plus the fact that it stopped ****ing down with rain on Tuesday afternoon, it did save things. 1 meter is not much, but when you see where the water came up to, and you add another meter to that - WOW !!

To all the Brisbane people on AFF, be safe out there and lets help those who will need a hand in the coming days / weeks.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 01:11 AM   #293
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
FFS, there is more pressing issues at hand right now then a bloody review. As has been said if it werent for Wivenhoe me along with A LOT of other people wouldnt be here today
Yes there is more pressing things and I've been doing them. I just hopped out of the shower to wash off the acid and solvent drenched mud that I've been removing since 4.00pm. I don't need telling off, I'm out there working my preferbial off cleaning up the mess, even those of my neighbours who haven't managed to turn up yet.

Allow those of us who have suffered, the right to have a say. I am not alone in my sentiments, maybe you should come down to Sumner Park and look at what we have to deal with and lend a helping hand. All I've seen today are sight seers and cops asking me if I'm looting, all of them suitably concerned, but not moved to roll up the sleeves.

Wivenhoe was full, it had nill effect against the wash from the downs, The gates were opened wide and we recieved a 1+1 outflow. If controlled flooding had been implemented prior it would have had some containment capacity, but it didn't.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 02:46 AM   #294
The Monty
Just slidin'

In the day that they released 400 000ML from Wivenhoe, coupled with the water from Towoomba, which ultimately caused the highest peaks when they coupled with the king tide, 1 500 000ML flowed into Wivenoe. If Wivenhoe didnt do its job, you would have an extra 1.1 million megalitres flow through the city on thursday morning. You do the math. If Wivenhoe didnt do its job, I would HATE to think of the outcome.
As much as I dont like our current government, this has been extremely well handled, and Im super impressed at all facets to do with the floods and handling by them in the last few days, unreal stuff.
Old 14-01-2011, 07:52 AM   #295
Corzza

Queenslanders how is the clean up going? The water low enough to get back into brisbane cbd?

Race 2 Clipsal 500 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NOZvWBp4Eo

"I plucked her into first, gave it some jandal and F@#$ Yeah!" - Scott McLaughlin
Corzza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 08:13 AM   #296
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corzza
Queenslanders how is the clean up going? The water low enough to get back into brisbane cbd?
Not a chance
http://www.abc.net.au/news/
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 08:18 AM   #297
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockyer_Creek

lockyer ck flows into the brisbane river near lowood.

Ok it goes into the brisabne river but lowood is still below the dam so it was un controlled.

Ian
Old 14-01-2011, 09:33 AM   #298
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone needing a generator or petrol gurney should start looking soon.Hardly anything available around Brisbane.I have an electric gurney and access to 2 others but without power they are not much use.I managed to get the last petrol one from hire joint,it is booked solid for the next 2 weeks.My local hire joint is bringing all there stuff up from the coast,have tried buying in more gear as well to no availe.
Mercury 8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #299
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
As much as I dont like our current government, this has been extremely well handled, and Im super impressed at all facets to do with the floods and handling by them in the last few days, unreal stuff.
Agreed Monty.

I am really impressed with Campbell Newman, he had a difficult job and I think he did an awesome job - Respect
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #300
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury 8
Anyone needing a generator or petrol gurney should start looking soon.Hardly anything available around Brisbane.I have an electric gurney and access to 2 others but without power they are not much use.I managed to get the last petrol one from hire joint,it is booked solid for the next 2 weeks.My local hire joint is bringing all there stuff up from the coast,have tried buying in more gear as well to no availe.
Something I never even thought of...I have a petrol gurney, and a couple of 240v compressors, If they are of help to anyone in the clean up, PM me. (Wynnum area)