Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-03-2005, 07:31 PM   #1
MarkIV

Default Ford's sales

Tom Gorman has stated that the long term goal for Ford AU is to regain market leadership (Today's Go Auto eNews). I have been doing some analysis to see where Ford's greatest weaknesses lie. I have focussed on the volume segments because although Fairlane/LTD is well behind Statesman/Caprice there is comparitively little to be gained in volume in that segment.

Overall last year Ford was 66,000 units behind Toyota and 44,000 behind Holden (2004 total sales).

Ford's weakest area is the Small category where Focus is 26,500 behind Corolla and 12,000 behind Astra.

Falcon 65k is ahead of Camry/Avalon (46k) but behind Commodore by 14k in Large (which makes up for the 26k deficit in Medium ie no 4cyl Camry competitor).

Courier is 15k behind Hilux and 6k behind Commodore/Rodeo in 4x4 Ute.

Fiesta is 15k behind Echo and 3k behind Barina in Light.

Explorer is 13k behind Landcruiser in SUV Large.

Falcon/Courier are 10k behind Commodore/Rodeo in 4x2 Ute.

And Escape is 10k behind Rav4 in SUV Compact.

So in summary Ford's weaknesses are Focus, Courier 4x4, Explorer and Fiesta. These are in total 69,000 units behind their respective segment leaders. On the next level Escape and Falcon/Courier 4x2 are 10k each behind their segment leaders.

Obviously these numbers are absolute - every extra Ford sale has the potential to lessen Holden's and Toyota's. But at the same time these companies will not stand by idly and just let Ford take sales!

In fact Ford did not win a single segment last year (although it will this year with Territory - the only bright light in the line-up).

In the future the new Focus may claw back some sales but Courier can only flounder against the new Hilux and Rodeo. Fiesta has been disapointing and Explorer is not worth the bother. A new Escape must be in the planning somewhere (hopefully more softroader).

Perhaps a heavy-duty longer wheelbase Territory could go up against the Landcruiser a bit and they should definately do a 4x4 Falcon ute (and maybe a Territory trayback/ute).

So unless there is some radical product behind the scenes I can't see Tom's goal being achieved with the current line-up.

Comments?

Mark IV.
MarkIV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2005, 07:58 PM   #2
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

i dont think he meant with the current lineup. Hence the long term goal thing.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2005, 08:02 PM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Hmmm Ford is way behind basically in ever segment other then the Large Family car and SUV....

The Focus is a good car but was priced out of the market before it even got a chance, the new model will be the same if Ford doesnt atleast bring a cheap version out for around the $20,000 mark.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2005, 09:26 PM   #4
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When it was Laser it was the market leader. Perhaps they should have never changed the name to Focus?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2005, 09:48 PM   #5
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think there's an attitude developing towards ford, thats not a good one. Just my opinion but ford seen to come across to alot of people as old hat, a dog thats dying but won't die so they'll shoot it instead.

I hate those bars#ards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2005, 10:51 PM   #6
AlbertM
Cracked Pot

Should have rebadged the Focus as Laser. People knew it and it did lead it's segments at times.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:50 PM   #7
RATT

Fiesta isn't going to bad now after a slow start. Importantly the small/ medium segment such as Fiesta and Focus need to fire most as they are essencially private market cars. Escape needs some changes before much will happen there and forget Explorer as Territory has killed it and Ford are not supporting it either.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2005, 12:12 AM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Maybe Ford needs to think about a locally built 4 pot opposed to that of the Focus / Fiesta...

If they built a suitable platform here from the ground up at the right price they might be on a winner (design a mini Falcon)...

Seems to me that both the Focus and Fiesta are too expensive to bring here and that there needs to be either a Jap import (built by Mazda) or a locally produced vehicle to win back any chances of being sucessful in this segment.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2005, 12:18 AM   #9
paul7v7
bring it on

Focus wasn't marketed well enough. it was overshadowed by the release of the BA. It needed just as much recognition as the falcon. Being a new entity into the market people needed to know what this car is and all about. Even though it is the worlds best selling car no one here knew about it or that it was even sold here. This is a similar story with the Fiesta. Both good cars just not marketed well enough or priced right.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:37 AM   #10
MR_SIDO
you'd be popular too.....

Quote:
When it was Laser it was the market leader. Perhaps they should have never changed the name to Focus?

Totally agree with that XR6martin how long did Ford work on Laser as a Brand? The focus should have stayed as a Laser IMO.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:03 PM   #11
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford Australia will need to invest heavily to regain market leadership. Marketing (as has already been pointed out) will need to be upgraded but also local production facilities to increase volumes (its still a limiting factor compared to GM & Toymota).
Remember too, that Ford have little or no export credits to offset, the high value of the Euro for both the Festiva & Focus. These cars be sourced elsewhere in the Ford world with better exchange rates i.e. Mexico but remebre the QA issues that Ford US have had with the Focus.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2005, 07:44 PM   #12
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRU842
Ford Australia will need to invest heavily to regain market leadership. Marketing (as has already been pointed out) will need to be upgraded but also local production facilities to increase volumes (its still a limiting factor compared to GM & Toymota).
Remember too, that Ford have little or no export credits to offset, the high value of the Euro for both the Festiva & Focus. These cars be sourced elsewhere in the Ford world with better exchange rates i.e. Mexico but remebre the QA issues that Ford US have had with the Focus.
The new Focus is made in South Africa, but apparently it will still be fairly expensive, with the CL starting around $21,000. I think Ford must be working on at least a 5-10 year plan to become number 1 as it won't happen in the short term.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2005, 02:31 PM   #13
MarkIV

Tom Gorman has admitted to the need for a Crewman rival and a 4WD ute:

http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/st...E21822,00.html

Interesting that he makes no mention of the R5 that gave Holden the idea in the first place. Will the super cab be built on Falcon or Territory?

And I can't believe that it has taken this long to think about a 4WD RTV!

MarkIV
MarkIV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2005, 04:25 PM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

Here's hoping its Territory based - Think Terry with a tray. Would be great, better than the plastic fantasticness of the Commo variants.
Old 22-03-2005, 05:15 PM   #15
Franky
Bring back the Phase

I think they need to do something with the Focus and Fiesta, the statments 'Europe's best selling car' means jack sh*t here and it's not reallyt helping sales.

Perhaps some limited editions or sports models would be good, the ST will help if it's the right price but the RS would be a great car to have here. Don't think we'll get it but we can always hope :|
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post