Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 07-09-2006, 03:13 PM   #1
commonman00
Starter Motor

Default 3M Tint

G'day,
I would like to have my LS Focus Hatch tinted (preferably) with 3M film.
I have called up a couple of shops and they charge $495 and above. The same shop that tinted my other car (Honda Accord Euro) for $250 refused to do it for less than $495 stating that tinting Focus is a difficult job, I think there has been a change of management too.

Anyone here can recommend a reliable tinter in Melbourne?

commonman00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 03:43 PM   #2
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Auto Shade 227 Nepean Highway Brighton. (03) 9596 4229

He is not the cheapest around, but uses top material (including 3M),is absolutely passionate about what he does, does a brilliant job, and an all round nice bloke.

Had my last 3 cars done there. His recommendations are always spot on. I wouldn't go to anyone else these days. Swear by him
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 04:14 PM   #3
commonman00
Starter Motor

One other thing.
I was told that you can't put a metalised film on the Focus due to it having in glass antenna. Is it true?
commonman00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 05:49 PM   #4
Conquest_Tsi

Default Tint

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman00
One other thing.
I was told that you can't put a metalised film on the Focus due to it having in glass antenna. Is it true?
I have metallic tint on my LS, hasnt affected the antenna at all.

AFAIK you cant have metallic if u have sat nav etc due to the interference?
Conquest_Tsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 12:01 AM   #5
Marshy79

I have metalised film on the XR5... doesnt interfere with the radio. The antenna is on the roof. Im sure the other current Focus's are like that as well.

I struggled to find a place to do 3M tinting. I eventually went to Tint Professor who was 265$.
They also said the Focus is difficult (you can see when you lift the tailgate how hard the back would be to do). But its still a 265$ job with them.
Marshy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 01:31 AM   #6
BlackLS

There bullsihtting you when they say the Focus will be hard. The only thing hard would possibly spending more time pulling the door/window surround trims off because they've never done a Focus before.

Anyone wanting to clean their tailgate window, take the hatch shelf out, fold the seats down, sit inside the boot and close the boot door.

The only thing that could be a worry is the quarter windows but their no harder than say doing it on a LWB Fairlane etc
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 08:34 AM   #7
Marshy79

Ahh very good point!

Never though about sitting in the car.

Commonman.... in regards to the metal films:
If the radio antenna is on the roof then it wont effect you at all really. The only thing that could change is that the remote for your keys might work at a shorter range than usual. I noticed no difference with my car though as the front windscreen isnt tinted still (as its illegal).
Old 08-09-2006, 09:27 AM   #8
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshy79
front windscreen isnt tinted still (as its illegal).
lol hehehe that didnt stop the original owners of my Gf's VL commodore hehehe that thing is BLACK!!!!at night she has to wind the windows down to see whos comming when turning.... now dont get me wrong the front windscreen isnt BLACK .... its just got a slight reflective tint on it....but at the right abgle during the day you can only see a reflexcciton.....but its cool....

i dont know how they can say that tinting your car will effect your radio i got my Fez done at a BMW dealer with the BMW tint.(nothing flash) and they never said anything about radios or your key (which you should know that if you put in your mouth when your out of range will increase the signal....dont ask me how.....)

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 03:19 PM   #9
Marshy79

I can garuntee the comment about the distance that your key will work is true in some cases.

My VX Commodore I had .. after I got the tint done, id have to be really close to unlock the car. You could see the sensor up on the dash.

Pretty much all Ford dealers put on a non metalised tint... because the current falcons all have teh antenna's built into the rear window.