Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-08-2006, 06:31 PM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default Tough rebuilt automatic trannies who has one?

What is the difference from standard.Will it last longer and does it feel different? I have gone though 2 already and I am on my 3rd auto and I am not sure its gonna stay alive for much longer.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 06:35 PM   #2
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You could of just dropped a manual in by now, from the money you've used.

Casper has one built through G&D. I know of a few places in VIC, but not sure about NSW.

Goodluck!
Old 24-08-2006, 07:05 PM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Speak to Joe (Crescent) ... he knows a decent auto trans builder.
Just had one rebuilt for a regular customer with an EF Fairy GHIA (high 12 sec V8).
Shifts strong manually ... takes a ton of abuse ... not driven gently .... also runs giggle gas too on the track.

When i can gather the cash I will be looking into a stronger auto for the ute (need it for work and towing).
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 07:41 PM   #4
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I am very tempted to get a manual but driving today from Merrylands to Lang Park took me 1 hour and 20 minutes .Sydney traffic is a pain.

I may well get one ready before this goes on me ..well see.J&J in Yennora build boxes for racing so I may have a yarn to them whether I am wasting my time or not.I may just go manual for the sheer fact that you gain 10 rwkws out the back but then again I cant imagine myself like today spending a total of 5 hours stuck in traffic.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 24-08-2006, 07:53 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Sydney traffic is hell for driving a manual. TRUST ME ... I have driven it so many times ... trying to get from the Eastern Suburbs across to the West after 3pm .... well ... it's trying on the nerves (especially with about 5 Express jobs on) .... auto is about the only thing that keeps me sane ... hee hee
Old 24-08-2006, 08:36 PM   #6
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Sydney traffic is hell for driving a manual. TRUST ME ... I have driven it so many times ... trying to get from the Eastern Suburbs across to the West after 3pm .... well ... it's trying on the nerves (especially with about 5 Express jobs on) .... auto is about the only thing that keeps me sane ... hee hee
True true, manual no go for constant driving, auto :P
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 08:37 PM   #7
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

600hp capable tough enough? :

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 08:38 PM   #8
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But for a strong auto that can take abuse, what are they worth in $$ ?
Old 24-08-2006, 08:39 PM   #9
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkus
But for a strong auto that can take abuse, what are they worth in $$ ?
How strong? How much abuse? How big a stall? Is it off the shelf or custom?

How much you got? _2:

Old 24-08-2006, 08:43 PM   #10
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
How strong? How much abuse? How big a stall? Is it off the shelf or custom?

How much you got? _2:
WOW ok ... was just thinking about $1000, no heaps of abuse, but enough... The rest.. well u lost me.
Old 24-08-2006, 08:46 PM   #11
Free347

Can someone explain to me exactly what is done to these boxes as all the tranny rebuilders I have asked have all told be there's not much can be done to toughen up the boxes used in AUs, other boxes sure, but not much can be done to these they've all said. These weren't second tier places either.
Free347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 08:46 PM   #12
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkus
WOW ok ... was just thinking about $1000, no heaps of abuse, but enough... The rest.. well u lost me.
Better keep saving mate.. $1000 wont give you a lot of change from an off the shelf hi-stall being fitted to the stock BTR and a decent trans cooler.

Old 24-08-2006, 08:46 PM   #13
I6corp
Was V6corp

When i get to the auto rebuild stage, ill other manual convert it... or put $2500 into a tough box.

How far would that get me?
Planned Engine Mods: ; Extractors; Tickford CAI; Twin Mufflers; Shift Kit; Hi-Stall; Cam; ECU Flash
Bling Mods: Tinted Windows; JVC CD/DVD HU
Planned Bling Mods: TS50 Front; High Series bonnet; Rebel Skirts and Rear Bar; SL Springs; Clear Side Indicators; Rear Spolier; Mags
I6corp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 08:47 PM   #14
Free347

You won't get a tranny rebuilt properly for $1000.
Old 24-08-2006, 08:51 PM   #15
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I6corp
When i get to the auto rebuild stage, ill other manual convert it... or put $2500 into a tough box.

How far would that get me?
Roughly, a full rebuild for a BTR auto to factory specs is about $1600 drive in/drive out.. give or take a little. Add about $600 for a histall (no labour as the box is already out) and $200 for a trans cooler and you will have spent $2300 on basically a brand new factory box with a good histall. If you want extra strength it costs more..

As for what they do.. I dont have the exact details on me but I can say the holdup on mine was they were making billet parts for some internal parts.. not sure what though, didnt ask. Its warrentied so I am allowed to give it hell and its meant to last for me.

Old 24-08-2006, 08:54 PM   #16
Free347

Can I ask what it cost you, mate?
Old 24-08-2006, 08:58 PM   #17
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free347
Can I ask what it cost you, mate?
you have PM

Old 24-08-2006, 09:00 PM   #18
Stav
Smile

I dunno Casper ?? All I want is a gearbox that can withstand a 3300 occasional launch, not die when things get hot and change gears hard like the ba auto box when needed.Why do these things keep blowing.People say heat..well why is that so? What has heat really got to do with it ? Is it the fact that the tranny fluid needs more changes? Why do bands blow? Why does it blow at all? How can this be avoided or improved?The auto box has always been a dark mysterious part of my car which seems almost to have magical dark power that I just to this day really dont understand.I dont even like looking at it.

This is what prompted me to ask the question.

Old 24-08-2006, 09:08 PM   #19
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Time to bite the bullet and talk to a transmission pro Stav. Spend now and save later when you are not grenading boxes.

Old 24-08-2006, 09:34 PM   #20
Stav
Smile

I think I will mate. See how much it goes to.The wagon has hit around 220,000km. I have to justify this to myself. I may very well buy a heavy duty v8 box,change the bellhousing and go from there.

Old 24-08-2006, 10:18 PM   #21
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm thinking of getting a C4 built properly when my BTR goes. Bellhousing from dellow.
24CIT has done it http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=37601
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 10:41 PM   #22
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

the BTR in my EL has a billet input shaft, kelvar bands, modded valve body and all the rest of the good stuff and I'm going to go down the C4 route too

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 12:34 AM   #23
Stav
Smile

Is it a big job for the c4? i thought they changed the bolting pattterns on the au?

Old 25-08-2006, 05:45 AM   #24
TCK-098

Stav i know how you feel about Sydney roads i drive a truck all day and gee and it fun :
Driving home last nite back on heathcote road i think my box is finally going so im going to get a new box and install a 2500 stally and let some fun begin.

Btw i seen you at Hankook tyres doing a install on a truck i coulndt stop as i flat out doing my run.
Old 25-08-2006, 08:41 AM   #25
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCK-098
Stav i know how you feel about Sydney roads i drive a truck all day and gee and it fun :
Driving home last nite back on heathcote road i think my box is finally going so im going to get a new box and install a 2500 stally and let some fun begin.

Btw i seen you at Hankook tyres doing a install on a truck i coulndt stop as i flat out doing my run.
Hahah. No worries mate.At least now you know how handsome a fellow I am : : I was on the truck from 9 am till 12:30 but it turned out nice!!

Old 28-08-2006, 08:21 AM   #26
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I have been qouted about $2200 for a rebuilt BTR ... will need to find out what work is done internally ... but definitely stronger than factory specs.

I won't be going a hi-stall though ... and I already have a cooler fitted as is.
Old 28-08-2006, 02:30 PM   #27
sleeper

Default tranny service for auiii

anyone know a good tranny servicer / rebuilder in the melbourne west ,whom specializes in ford trannys . :alien2:
sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post