Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-05-2006, 10:26 PM   #1
5speedTE

Default Low cars + big kerbs = missing paint :(

Hi guys

The other week I was in a hi-rise car park in the city (Perth). Going in was fine as the entry was smooth but when leaving I was approaching the exit and could see a rather steep drop to the road. I have a full T3 TE50 look-alike it’s been lowered and has about 8-9cm of ground clearance from the lowest points of the front bumper, I couldn’t do a thing so I went very slow and scraped the bottom of my front bumper pretty bad.

I just got her back from the paint shop and I don’t ever want it to happen again.

I was just wondering if anyone else here has the same problem, I know most will but how can we prevent it from damaging our cars?

Any suggestions??

All I could think of is to make a guard out of sheet metal (very thin) cut it to shape and mount it to the edges of the bumper. This would be out of site of course hopefully just helping to stop nasty scraps.

Jason

* 2010 BMW 320i M Sport
5speedTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 10:42 PM   #2
BTTB
Free XD

The only thing I can suggest is traverse the dip diagonally next time... sometimes it makes all the difference.
BTTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 10:46 PM   #3
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

mate- I've given up worrying about it any more to be honest- just resigned myself to getting it re-painted every 18 months or so......

You can get quite a thick vinyl (almost like a textured plastic) which is exactly for this kind of thing and that's what I'm going to do (one day!)

I'm not reckless with it, of course, but it's the price you pay for having a great looking/handling car- there are compromises unfortunately and the sooner you come to terms with it the happier you are going to be! lol Sorry mate- the only comfort I can give you is I understand.........

Good luck with it and if you find a way to stop it, make sure I'm the first you tell! hahaha
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 11:41 PM   #4
HOTC2R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty much said it all in a nutshell there Jim
HOTC2R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 11:52 PM   #5
5speedTE

Yeah, reversing is an option but when your in a tight little car park there is no room to turn around. I asked the attendent if i could go out the entry....his reply "NO!! i wont lift the boomgate...use the exit...your car, your problem" It was so dead quiet that day it would have taken 5 seconds but he couldnt be bothered.

grrrrr
* 2010 BMW 320i M Sport
5speedTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2006, 12:30 AM   #6
HOTC2R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look around for another car park if you use this one regularly. it is something that you will get used to over time. As previous mention, go diagonally the same as you would do over speed humps etc.
HOTC2R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2006, 01:57 AM   #7
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hehe you have problems..
look for hte video "topgear garage getaway" or somthin
they try to drive a zhona .. a ford gt40(new version) and a ferrari out of a french carpark.. they have to lay out pieces of wood and remove part of hte zhondas front bumper to get out of the carpark..
Old 20-05-2006, 05:12 AM   #8
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

You could make a moulded lip for the bottom of your car out of fibre glass... but then you would still have to get that painted, but you could remove it for the shows... and you wouldn't have to paint it with any thing special - Australian Export $2.50 spray stuff.... plus your cars grey.. easy to find a matching grey undercoat... easy touchup etc...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2006, 06:31 AM   #9
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got a 6 week old F6 and despite trying to be carefull I've scraped it 3 times already. I've decided to accept that it's inevitable and not loose any sleep over it.
I know the scrape marks are under there, but no one else does.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 07:06 PM   #10
notty1978
NOTTY

oh well its only paint
notty1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 08:10 PM   #11
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a pain in the ***. Even my AU3 XR6 VCT ST scrapes, and it has bloody 18's!. s me right off every time I hear it. From the front it doesn't look too bad, just some sandblasting and a bit of paint from the pods, but once you look underneath it would make a car painter cry :/

Looking at getting whole body resprayed in Sparkling Gold
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2006, 08:49 AM   #12
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Tell me about it! :

MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2006, 01:51 PM   #13
BJMXR

Blackers 10... your right, that topgear video is great... i just thought id put up a link. Dont even consider bothering if you have dail up connection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeX4o...search=topgear
Lowered on King SL & SSL
KONI "Yellows" Fully Adjustable Shocks
2.5in Stainless Herrods Cat back
Black Leather Interior
BJMXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2006, 02:14 PM   #14
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
Tell me about it! :

Nice, just not my taste....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post