Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old Today, 12:59 PM   #1
minheim

Default Japan's proof of parking rule.

The Drive website had an interesting article on Japan's proof of parking rule.
"Before you register a car in Japan, you have to prove you have somewhere to park it.
Implemented in 1962, Japan's proof of parking policy requires car owners to obtain what's known as a Shako Shomeisho or 'parking certificate' as an integral part of the car purchase experience – much like a roadworthy certificate or greenslip insurance.
This certificate confirms a car owner has access to a parking space of sufficient width and length for their vehicle, within two kilometres of their residential address.
Residents can pay a small fee and apply for the Shako Shomeisho at their local police station, after which a police officer or parking inspector will be sent to assess the space before approving the application. You can then proceed with registering your vehicle."

Here is the full article link - https://www.drive.com.au/caradvice/j...-needs-it-too/

I think something like this is needed if Councils are going to approve medium/ higher density developments with no or limited onsite parking especially in many inner suburban areas. It might also be a good way to ensure garages are better utilised for their intended purpose.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old Today, 01:10 PM   #2
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Japan's proof of parking rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minheim View Post
The Drive website had an interesting article on Japan's proof of parking rule.
"Before you register a car in Japan, you have to prove you have somewhere to park it.
Implemented in 1962, Japan's proof of parking policy requires car owners to obtain what's known as a Shako Shomeisho or 'parking certificate' as an integral part of the car purchase experience – much like a roadworthy certificate or greenslip insurance.
This certificate confirms a car owner has access to a parking space of sufficient width and length for their vehicle, within two kilometres of their residential address.
Residents can pay a small fee and apply for the Shako Shomeisho at their local police station, after which a police officer or parking inspector will be sent to assess the space before approving the application. You can then proceed with registering your vehicle."

Here is the full article link - https://www.drive.com.au/caradvice/j...-needs-it-too/

I think something like this is needed if Councils are going to approve medium/ higher density developments with no or limited onsite parking especially in many inner suburban areas. It might also be a good way to ensure garages are better utilised for their intended purpose.
It's a good idea which they've had for quite a long time and which a few places in Australia have supposed to enforce within the building codes but on the whole don't.

P*sses me off trying to walk down a footpath and people have their crap, caravan, cars, boats and truck parked all over it.

Some of these new housing estates where a car barely fits between the garage door and the boundary is another instance. Designed for one car but most houses have around 3 or so.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old Today, 01:16 PM   #3
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

But many OZ councils sadly have banned working on your own car in your own driveway and in some cases anywhere including your own shed or garage in built up areas..
Old Today, 01:25 PM   #4
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
But many OZ councils sadly have banned working on your own car in your own driveway and in some cases anywhere including your own shed or garage in built up areas..
They wouldn't know if you can not see it,(in a shed, garage or even closed backyard) and for the ones who are working on vehicles on the street or on full show of the public, this is the reason councils have been doing this.

Old Today, 01:28 PM   #5
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
They wouldn't know if you can not see it,(in a shed, garage or even closed backyard) and for the ones who are working on vehicles on the street or on full show of the public,
It depends on how nasty and nosey your neighbours are. The ones behind me wanted my well maintained green colourbond shed removed as they say it spoils the view from their second story balcony. They have so far lost that one and the council has advised they have no chance as it complies with all current building requirements, is well maintained, isn't unsightly and was there before the bought the block and built. However they haven't given up and also complain that I have and quietly use my use car lift and we know councils and bylaws do change.

Last edited by aussiblue; Today at 01:41 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old Today, 01:29 PM   #6
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Depends on how nasty and nosey your neighbours are.
and how nasty and noisey the mechanic is towards their neighbours.

Old Today, 01:55 PM   #7
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
and how nasty and noisey the mechanic is towards their neighbours.
In this case not at all and relationship I have to admit has improved considerably since they decided to erect new fences and walls around their property and I was the only neighbour to volunteer to meet half the cost of the one on the shared boundary although the existing fence was in good condition and some of the need for new walls and fences was due to them building retaining walls from when the filled and levelled their block.
Old Today, 02:17 PM   #8
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Precisely a problem of a fat, inward-looking and stupid nation.

Dogging people for saving money while whoring our natural resources, then buying them back at scandalous prices.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 02:24 PM   #9
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
They wouldn't know if you can not see it,(in a shed, garage or even closed backyard) and for the ones who are working on vehicles on the street or on full show of the public, this is the reason councils have been doing this.
hey roK is this known around Sydney burbs ? CB ?
I have never heard my own Council impose these laws working on your cars - on your own property.
I get IF people are leaving jacked up cars on the street in front of their homes for eg.

As for the Japan direction, not surprised.
Comment re the ongoing high density living has merit as well.
Around the Burbs normal free standing home areas yer nah.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 02:51 PM   #10
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

The only times I’ve heard of anything like this (censure of activities) have been in private developments, not Torrens Title dwellings on public roads. The estates in North Ryde and Westleigh might want to have a crack if you changed your oil in the driveway or on the road.

What I do outside my place is all hobby - not for profit. I make an effort to get on with the local community, and refuse to charge labour if anyone needs a hand with something car-related.

My local council has not issued a single fine for unauthorised tree removal in the last five years, if they really cared about the place that would not be the status quo.

Many of the new developments are definitely producing a parking problem with more vehicles owned than can be practically stood on site or across the attributed street front.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 03:37 PM   #11
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
hey roK is this known around Sydney burbs ? CB ?
I have never heard my own Council impose these laws working on your cars - on your own property.
I get IF people are leaving jacked up cars on the street in front of their homes for eg.
Don't know about working on cars on your own property, that was aussiblues statement.
I do know councils are currently "sweeping away" all the illegally parked up trailer yachts and some caravans around the Leichhardt area.

Last I heard the boat owners association was in negotiations to work out a safe place for storage of these non registered trailers.

There are quite a few council bylaws limiting the amount of cars allowed on a property, how far from the boundary you can park a motorhome within view of the public, truck parking (for Franco)

Google council bylaws for each district.

examples for noise related to power tools used in the automotive industry.

https://www.hornsby.nsw.gov.au/community/hazards/noise

https://www.cityofparramatta.nsw.gov.au/living/noise-pollution-and-maintenance/neighbourhood-noise

https://www.centralcoast.nsw.gov.au/...rhood-concerns

https://www.northernbeaches.nsw.gov....ollution/noise

Old Today, 03:55 PM   #12
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

We discussed this before in https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=6320726 There was a Council in WA proposing to ban it according to the press at the time but I think it died in the face of the rate payers opposition.

Last edited by aussiblue; Today at 04:04 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 04:04 PM   #13
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I said it before then and I'll say it again, typical demonic-republic of Commiefornia.

Thank g*d I live on an acre in a country town.

Old Today, 04:21 PM   #14
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Don't know about working on cars on your own property, that was aussiblues statement.
I do know councils are currently "sweeping away" all the illegally parked up trailer yachts and some caravans around the Leichhardt area.

Last I heard the boat owners association was in negotiations to work out a safe place for storage of these non registered trailers.

There are quite a few council bylaws limiting the amount of cars allowed on a property, how far from the boundary you can park a motorhome within view of the public, truck parking (for Franco)

Google council bylaws for each district.

examples for noise related to power tools used in the automotive industry.

https://www.hornsby.nsw.gov.au/community/hazards/noise

https://www.cityofparramatta.nsw.gov.au/living/noise-pollution-and-maintenance/neighbourhood-noise

https://www.centralcoast.nsw.gov.au/...rhood-concerns

https://www.northernbeaches.nsw.gov....ollution/noise
yer cheers mate, nothing about working on cars (talking my area) as I thought but for the general noise law times that is fine.

The parking of boats agree with and that came along sometime ago when I was living in Gladesville area - anywhere near suburban boat ramps I agree is a PIA having so much parking taken up by boats hardly used and throw in caravans.
Your property park enm in your own space IF you can't sell them
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post