Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-09-2024, 11:19 PM   #1
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Interstate Car Transport - Vic to SA - Who is the current go-to?

Looking at buying a car over the border if it all checks out...any recommendations for interstate car transport - Melbourne to Adelaide?

Done it couple of times before and just flew over on first flight of the day, and drove it back myself:

$80 flight
+ $50 or $60 Vic unregistered vehicle permit
+ $150 tank of premium
+ $10-$20 at some bakery halfway
= very enjoyable get-to-know-you time with the new car on the open road (and no ****s given through the point-to-point cameras as no plates fknlol).

Unfortunately work commitments mean that is not possible, not now or for a couple or few months.

About 8 years ago got a big-**** van (Vellfire) delivered door-to-door from Sydney to Adelaide and it was change of $700. I know that was a long while ago, but that was door-to-door, Sydney to Adelaide, and big mofo of a van...current day I'm getting quotes of just under or bit over $1k, and that is for a regular car (running and not lowered) from Melbourne door to Adelaide depot. Don't care if it is open truck - same or even less chance of stone-chips and bugs as me driving it back myself.

Did get a cheap auto-quote from some mob called P&S or similar (just under $700), but checking reviews online it sounds like they are just a middle-man that sub-contracts out the various parts of the journey and their reviews are horrendous.

So who's got the good oil on transporters?

Or I just need stop being a tight-**** and realise it is not 2017 anymore, that is what shit costs, bend over and open my wallet.
Mulva is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2024, 11:44 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Interstate Car Transport - Vic to SA - Who is the current go-to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
Looking at buying a car over the border if it all checks out...any recommendations for interstate car transport - Melbourne to Adelaide?

Done it couple of times before and just flew over on first flight of the day, and drove it back myself:

$80 flight
+ $150 tank of premium
= very enjoyable get-to-know-you time with the new car on the open road (and no ****s given through the point-to-point cameras as no plates fknlol).

Unfortunately work commitments mean that is not possible, not now or for a couple or few months.

About 8 years ago got a big-**** van (Vellfire) delivered door-to-door from Sydney to Adelaide and it was change of $700. I know that was a long while ago, but that was door-to-door, Sydney to Adelaide, and big mofo of a van...current day I'm getting quotes of just under or bit over $1k, and that is for a regular car (running and not lowered) from Melbourne door to Adelaide depot. Don't care if it is open truck - same or even less chance of stone-chips and bugs as me driving it back myself.

Did get a cheap auto-quote from some mob called P&S or similar (just under $700), but checking reviews online it sounds like they are just a middle-man that sub-contracts out the various parts of the journey and their reviews are horrendous.

Or I just need stop being a tight-**** and realise it is not 2017 anymore, that is what shit costs, bend over and open my wallet.
$1000 for circa 700km - sub $1.50/kilometer or there abouts,

It starts at $4.50/kilometer to move excavator attachments around Melbourne suburbia

You'd have to be moving like a full load of cars between Melbourne and Adelaide to make it worth getting out of bed for $1.50/kilometer, maybe someone going to Adelaide unloaded from Melbourne, even then its still a joke.

You could put it out for a quote on loadshift:

https://www.loadshift.com.au/

See if anyone responds with a quote, everyone's always bidding on weird and wonderful shit on there so a car between Melbourne and Adelaide should get a good response.

See - weird shit

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 03-09-2024 at 11:49 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2024, 12:00 AM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Mulva,

Do you not have any reliable, semi-retired friends who might be up for this?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-09-2024, 08:47 AM   #4
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post

$80 flight
+ $150 tank of premium

The two major players are CEVA and PRIX CAR -these are the big guys.

I personally wouldnt use a broker =theres prob a lot of these on the internet.
I would want to use a car carrier with his own drivers/trucks/car carrying trailers.
I wouldnt want to use Mr Outback trucker with a flat top semi and your car forked onto the flat top trailer and loaded between steel coils -worst case scenario but know what I mean?
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2024, 08:47 AM   #5
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Mulva,

Do you not have any reliable, semi-retired friends who might be up for this?
Nah, good mate I would call on is going through some serious health challenges.

I do have a younger sister I could call on, but I'd be better off getting some teens that joy-ride stolen cars to bring it here as they'd get it here in better condition and less thrashed than she would.

Cheers guys, probably just go one of the trusted big guys...was surprised how much the price had jumped, but shits expensive these days and truckers gotta eat too.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:05 AM   #6
HIPO
Al

B Spoke brought my Torino over in 2022 for about 1k........... Fully enclosed modern car trailer & a really nice guy.

Last edited by HIPO; 04-09-2024 at 10:11 AM.
HIPO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2024, 01:57 PM   #7
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

If I was in the position to do it, I'd pick it up in Melbs for you, drop it off at your door, and you cover the costs of my T&S including a flight home. I could do with a holiday to Adelaide.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2024, 02:03 PM   #8
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’m sure Crash Bunny would drive it across.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2024, 02:03 PM   #9
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Mulva doing it yourself is always the cheapest - just depends the spare time and effort.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2024, 02:34 PM   #10
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Pretty sure Prixcar and Ceva give instant quotes to give you an idea on cost.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2024, 03:24 PM   #11
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive used Prixcar twice. Good service and pricing.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2024, 06:49 PM   #12
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might not be going ahead with this now as inspection uncovered a few issues, so unless seller is ready to take a low low-ball might be passing on this.

Thanks for all the replies and advice.
2 users like this post: