Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-04-2006, 06:35 PM   #1
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Fitting suspension - likely probs?

if the gods are with me I'll fit up my new suspension this weekendnd (AUIII Fairmont Ghia).

I'm fitting AU XR coils and as yet nameless front and rear shocks (I pick them up tomorrow).

As it is a long weekend up here I'm a bit concerned about needing to buy something from Ford and having to wait till Tuesday.

Can anyone who has a clue on this suspension advise me if there are bits that I should replace (other than the coils and shocks). The only thing I can think of is bump stops if needed but I don't know what else *may* be req?

Cars done around 100,000kms.

Thanks...

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 07:04 PM   #2
phildee

I'm fitting King Lows and Monro GT Gas tomorrow. Wouldn't mind knowing the same things.
phildee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 07:09 PM   #3
Bodizephr
AnArChIst

well i did my EF which had 160,000kms with new king springs and monroe shocks/struts, and didnt need to replace anything else.....you can get to everythign else latter on if you have too

I6 Assassin
Bodizephr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 07:19 PM   #4
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A mate and I did the front on the wife's AU wagon a couple of weeks ago. Using a rattle gun made it a little easier, and both the front shocks and springs took under an hour. Also decided to bleed the brakes at the same time.
Old 28-04-2006, 07:31 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

All you need is shocks and springs, some large sockets and spanners, and a tapometer. That's about it.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 07:44 PM   #6
buickman
buickman

On the AU ghia IRS you will need to remove the rear caliper bolts to push to one side so as to remove to rear struts while you are at check the upper rubber mounts.
On the front you will need a 18mm socket or spanner to undo the top ball joint nut so you can remove the front strut. Everything else is straight forward in removing & replacing
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2006, 07:07 AM   #7
GTHOXR8

I put in XR coils on my Series 1 Forte (100 000km) and ever since have had a rattle in the rear end. I thought it was the shockies so I recently replaced them and it is still there.
What I think it is are the rubber caps that sit on top of the coils (sort of screw in for one and a bit turns). Maybe the originals rubber caps are slightly larger than the XR coils and therefore a bit loose.

I have checked all components and everything is as tight as it should be. Even used a torque wrench.

Anyone have ideas on this problem? I'm going to chase up to see if the XR coils do need their own rubber caps.

Also have to check the bump stops as the new shockies never came with them.

Good luck with it
GTHOXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2006, 10:09 AM   #8
buickman
buickman

Ronwest car has the IRS being a ghia & he should check the rubber caps while he has the struts out
Fitting the XR springs of a none VCT XR to a Forte should not occure any real problems as they both run the watts link rear suspension but since you have checked shocker height & tightened every thing up. The only thing is the rubber caps or exhaust or someother item slightly touching.
Old 29-04-2006, 10:59 AM   #9
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
Ronwest car has the IRS being a ghia & he should check the rubber caps while he has the struts out
What am I checking for? Cracks, splits, movement?

Are the rubber caps likely to be available aftermarket...Autopro etc?
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2006, 11:36 AM   #10
GTHOXR8

Check to see if the caps when placed on the XR coils are a snug fit. I vaguely remember mine being a bit loose.
Old 29-04-2006, 05:21 PM   #11
GTHOXR8

Dropped into the local pedders store and asked a few questions.
They reckon the only places rattles should generate from are loose lower shock mounting points; the insulator caps that sit on top of the coil or the exhaust system ( as a result of the car sitting lower).

Also, the Forte insulator caps can fit right onto the XR coil and the forte bump stops can also be reused if still in good nick.

So I went home, put the car on stands, took the wheels off and rechecked everything. The rubber insulator caps were on correctly so all I did was extra tighten the lower shock mounts and voila, rattles gone. Went for test drive and everything is sweet.

What I thought was tight for the lower shockies was obviously not tight enough!
Old 29-04-2006, 08:07 PM   #12
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
What am I checking for? Cracks, splits, movement?

Are the rubber caps likely to be available aftermarket...Autopro etc?
Check for what you have just mentioned I inspected mine while I had it apart & they were OK. If you are lowering the car you will have to kit the XR camber kit to the upper control arm on the IRS. Otherwise it will wear the tyres out at a fast rate.At the moment only Ford sell them at around the $80 mark. I did speak to nolathan about them & they were only just starting looking at a kit.
Old 30-04-2006, 02:43 PM   #13
phildee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTHOXR8

What I thought was tight for the lower shockies was obviously not tight enough!
Fitted my Kings Lows and new shocks yesterday, had the same problem with the lower shock mounts on the rear, there was a bad rattle, sounded like something was going to fall out while I was driving. Lower shock mounts were already tight but an extra half a turn on them and everything is perfect now.
phildee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post