Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-09-2022, 12:43 PM   #1
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Mk8 Fiesta ST update- worth it?

Interested in others thoughts, with the last run of Fiesta ST you get over the current model

- 320Nm over 290Nm
- full digital display instead of analogue
- Ford Performance seats over Recaro- not sure if they have some electronic adjustment on the new seats, seems to be a button there in pics.
- Matrix LED headlamps with build in foglights
- New front end.

You lose

- BLIS with rear cross traffic
- AM radio

It all sounds great but I'd really miss BLIS with rear cross that I have in my current one! Anyway thoughts on the update, do they justify losing those features?
Old 06-09-2022, 12:56 PM   #2
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Default Re: Mk8 Fiesta ST update- worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t View Post
Interested in others thoughts, with the last run of Fiesta ST you get over the current model

- 320Nm over 290Nm
- Ford Performance seats over Recaro- not sure if they have some electronic adjustment on the new seats, seems to be a button there in pics.
- New front end.

You lose

- AM radio

It all sounds great but I'd really miss BLIS with rear cross that I have in my current one! Anyway thoughts on the update, do they justify losing those features?
Last ST Fiesta sold here, great little car that is really appealing, I’d get one, but it would mean the Mustang would have to go.

AM Radio ? no big deal run it from the phone via an App.

I’d say to “fans”, get one.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2022, 10:54 PM   #3
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The extra NM torque would be good.

But I personally do not like the thick frumpy higher front end front nose- that would effect coefficient of friction and be a real drag at speed. The Mk8 small low tight front end nose is just much better IMO.

The power you can workaround with tunes/intercooler etc.

But you are stuck with sheetmetal forever.....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-09-2022, 10:19 AM   #4
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

if you can even get one. they've stopped importing them and the last 40 or so already have orders
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2022, 10:38 AM   #5
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haven’t driven one, but have been for a ride. That 3 cylinder motor is pretty epic and sounds awesome. I’d lean towards a new one but really they are both great cars.
Old 07-09-2022, 11:10 AM   #6
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t View Post

- 320Nm over 290Nm
- New front end.

You lose

- AM radio

So is that no DAB digital AM or just no AM?
I'd turn off the current safety things you would lose in the new Fiesta and see if you are happy without them while driving your current one...if you are then I know what you'll be doing asap....if you think nah, I really want the features then don't go for a test drive of the new one as you'll avoid the constant niggle of "should I have upgraded"...either way you have a modern-day classic...
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2022, 01:31 AM   #7
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So today I decided to swap front passenger tyre on my Mk 8 ST with rear tyre, as front passenger tyre has started chunking due to defective torque characteristics of engine.

Beware- the folding wheel wrench that sits in the jack is an absolute joke- I put some force on it to free wheel lug and its soft and flimsy and would have collapsed and melted like cheese had I tried to remove the lugs.

Really Ford should be shot for this- sending cars to Australia on pretext of having a spare and jack and wheel wrench to do wheel change- when I can tell you- say you are 400km above Alice Springs on Stuart Highway, or worse -somewhere remote-ie- Butterfly Gorge anyone?? with a flat, and this wheel wrench would just warp- and you would be stranded.

That could be a serious predicament at Butterfly Gorge etc.

So- heads up- get a proper folding wheel wrench, place it in the rear tub, to avoid you being stranded.

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
Old 16-09-2022, 11:36 AM   #8
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
So today I decided to swap front passenger tyre on my Mk 8 ST with rear tyre, as front passenger tyre has started chunking due to defective torque characteristics of engine.

Beware- the folding wheel wrench that sits in the jack is an absolute joke- I put some force on it to free wheel lug and its soft and flimsy and would have collapsed and melted like cheese had I tried to remove the lugs.

Really Ford should be shot for this- sending cars to Australia on pretext of having a spare and jack and wheel wrench to do wheel change- when I can tell you- say you are 400km above Alice Springs on Stuart Highway, or worse -somewhere remote-ie- Butterfly Gorge anyone?? with a flat, and this wheel wrench would just warp- and you would be stranded.

So- heads up- get a proper folding wheel wrench, place it in the rear tub, to avoid you being stranded.
Cant remember last time I relied on a factory wheel brace to change a tyre as most are rubbish.
Mind you I cant remember last time I had a flat etc.

I keep an extendable breaker bar style brace with hex socket in all our cars for this very reason.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2022, 12:37 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post

Have the wheels ever been off the car? It's typical of those tyre shop knuckleheads to torque the bejeezus out of the wheel nuts and making them a major hassle to undo. One of my pet hates.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2022, 12:46 PM   #10
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Have the wheels ever been off the car? It's typical of those tyre shop knuckleheads to torque the bejeezus out of the wheel nuts and making them a major hassle to undo. One of my pet hates.
Yeah- Kloster Ford during the 15,000 km service did a tyre rotation.

The nuts were tight, but I got them off using a standard stanley ratchet, so was not that tight.

I tried the provided factory inbuilt "brace" and it started twisting and warping the metal at about 50% of the torque that would have been required to remove the nut. Useless.

My fgx xr8 came with a proper fixed cast piece wheel brace that is bluddy strong, I mean stand and bounce on it strong.

Difference between Australian engineering and European I suppose. In Australia with our remote areas with no mobile phone and scant people, may as well be on the moon in some areas.

I mean Europe usually go with blow up sealant spray and no spare, Ford Australia required a spare spacesaver for the ST, pity they did not give a 1 piece cast wheel brace like the FGX XR8.

4 users like this post: