Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-05-2022, 10:39 PM   #31
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Future of Targa rallies in doubt

“SMSP standard rate for a track day for non members is typically $350”.

I got an email from them this week:

“Prices for 2022 are as follows:

$210 (incl. GST and booking fee), or $180 for ARDC Members (incl. GST and booking fee). See below for full ARDC Member discount details.” less $25 for a discover NSW voucher. I’m not a member.

I’m also doing two day race meeting next month for $390 on the Gardner circuit.
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-05-2022, 10:47 PM   #32
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawke View Post

$210 (incl. GST and booking fee), or $180 for ARDC Members (incl. GST and booking fee). See below for full ARDC Member discount details.” less $25 for a discover NSW voucher. I’m not a member.

Sounds like a special of some kind. Standard rate has been $350 for years. I know cause I'm at the track almost every other week competing or flagging.

Members get 50% off for 2 track days a year.

You doing the Shannons event end of the month?

Edit: is it a track day or test and tune day? Do you need a MA licence or not? Different rates for those as well and are closer to the numbers you suggested. Used to $130 members and $160 non members

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited by kypez; 18-05-2022 at 11:03 PM.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2022, 01:41 AM   #33
ESPJG32

well, as a competitor in TT 12 times and a holder of a MSA National circuit and National rally license for many years I understand both sides of the discussion, TT was the brain child of John Large{RIP} as a moving cavalcade of classic cars,,,, under the more recent stewardship more modern cars have been allowed to compete and terminal speeds have increased - is that a material reason for these deaths,,, in the real world even a 60km/Hr crash can kill you in the wrong circumstances......
I dont want to cast any judgement on any competitors.....everyone has their own reasons for getting into their car and many of us consider that TT is the pinnacle of that particular type of motorsport.
Yes changes will be made what the event will look like in future we dont know yet but the legacy of John Large should continue, it is a unique event in the world and a test of crew and cars on superlative roads run with the good grace of the Tasmanian public
ESPJG32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2022, 06:28 AM   #34
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPJG32 View Post
is that a material reason for these deaths,,, in the real world even a 60km/Hr crash can kill you in the wrong circumstances
if the drivers cars were equipped with multi-point harnesses and roll cages, they probably wouldnt though.

the big problem with rallies is you simply cant account for roadside obstacles. its an inherent part of the risk, so if we have a problem with targa, then by extension, we should have a problem with traditional rallies too. oddly, it doesnt seem like those have regular deaths, so the question is, is it problem of the skillset of the drivers in targa? is it a difference in the car/safety?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-05-2022, 07:40 AM   #35
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surfing = sharks. Bushwalking = getting lost and dehydration. Abseiling = falling. Football / boxing = concussion / dementia. Defence force = getting shot.

In case people have forgotten already, Peter Brock was killed during a Targa rally.
There are just so many things to go wrong with this type of motor sport, trees, ditches, kangaroos. Entrants should be aware of these dangers and contend with them.
Comes under the heading of life choices.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2022, 10:12 AM   #36
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
if the drivers cars were equipped with multi-point harnesses and roll cages, they probably wouldnt though.

the big problem with rallies is you simply cant account for roadside obstacles. its an inherent part of the risk, so if we have a problem with targa, then by extension, we should have a problem with traditional rallies too. oddly, it doesnt seem like those have regular deaths, so the question is, is it problem of the skillset of the drivers in targa? is it a difference in the car/safety?
Think the top speeds can be less for a lot of Rally specific cars than Targa. Some of those cars are stupidly fast up top whereas Rally cars are setup for quick acceleration but not necessarily high top end.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2022, 11:50 AM   #37
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawke View Post

Only two tracks in Tassie and they are both the same rate through a motoring club, its not a traditional motorsports club..I could look around but its the first place I found.

IIRC one of the death in targa was when they crashed and went into a river, tragic but it could happen to anyone if they lost it there.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2022, 12:28 PM   #38
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo
Fake racers still kill themselves, so stop incentivising people to become fake racers by taking away opportunities or putting barriers in the way to be a 'real racer'.

Its also never been to the extent it happens now in Melbourne, the rules are harsher than ever but its still happening, maybe there's a reason for it.
Hoons will still be hoons, but they also have very little opportunity to take it off the street in melbourne. Heathcoate is the only real option and it's not exactly well located for the masses.

Melbourne needs a proper motorsport venue.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post