Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Default Fuel Sender Ohm Convertor

Hi, is there a device that can convert the output of a 0-250 ohm fuel sender to 0-1000 ohm range?

malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Fuel Sender Ohm Convertor

Hrmmm - it's more normal (and much easier) to step down. I'd be rather more inclined to add a resistor at the gauge end to step down the input. The Stewart Warner (the one I presume you have) style senders are typically 33-240 ohm (F to E respectively) whereas the Ford senders work in the opposite direction.

If your gauge is expecting 0-1000 (unlikely but anyway) then you need to reduce the gauge input by a calculated factor - assuming it is linear which most are.

You need to know the exact operating range (the gap between the empty and full actual reading) so that you can calculate the resistance required using this formula:

1/R1 + 1/R2 = 1/Rtotal

So, for example, if your 0-250 ohm sender is really a 33-240 SW style one then it has a 208 ohm operating range. You need to establish the same mathematical calc for your 0-1000 and then apply the formula above.

I'll work an example for you. Let's say (for arguments sake) that the 0-1000 is really 40-840 ohm then the range is 800 ohm.Thus you need the 208 ohm range to read across 800 ohm instead (actually the reverse really).

Thus 1/800 + 1/x = 1/208
Therefore x = 1/280

Thus you could use a 280 ohm resistor in the gauge winding to obtain a fairly accurate reading.

NOTE: This assumes a linear operation of the sender.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 11:49 PM   #3
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Thanks Russ. But I think this is in the realm of an electrical engineer. I'm no good with numbers and formulas. The Car I am working on is a BA falcon fitted out with FG running gear and electronics. The FG uses a fuel sender that reads from 0 to 1000 ohm, while ba is 0 to 250. How would I install a '280 ohm resistor in the gauge winding' of an FG?

I think I have a solution, I will attach the FG fuel sender potentiometer to the BA fuel sender floater, and work with that.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 12:15 AM   #4
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Yep, use the fg sender.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2014, 10:24 AM   #5
krawczuk

goto ebay and look up fuel wizzard,....
krawczuk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2020, 12:33 AM   #6
1968XTFairmont
Starter Motor

Hi All I'm new to this site and computers ,does anybody know the OHM resistance value for a 1968 XT Falcon/Fairmont fuel sender ? any information would be helpful Thanks .
1968XTFairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2020, 01:05 AM   #7
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

These are handy https://www.jaycar.com.au/resistance-wheel/p/RR0700 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3joyToqpCc to test what resistance gives the correct readings at the dash. Test on a full and empty tank and once you have worked out what resistance gives the correct reading permanently replace it with a soldered in resistor of the value that worked correctly.

Last edited by aussiblue; 07-11-2020 at 01:12 AM.
aussiblue is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2020, 01:35 AM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968XTFairmont View Post
Hi All I'm new to this site and computers ,does anybody know the OHM resistance value for a 1968 XT Falcon/Fairmont fuel sender ? any information would be helpful Thanks .
VDO 2016 international catalogue mentions 73 - 10 ohms.

http://www.vdo.net.au/media/189570/2...-catalogue.pdf

Bottom of page 8/96 on the PDF, physical page number 6.

Not sure how accurate that is as the VDO catalogue is chock full of mistakes, but in my experience most stuff ex USA specs is 240 - 33 ohms but it seems this 73 - 10 sender does a lot of local cars.

Also while this thread is old as the hills to answer the OP's question, page 85/96 or physical page number 83 is the resistance conversion box thing that can do what he's asking for.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-11-2020, 02:09 AM   #9
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
page 85/96 or physical page number 83 is the resistance conversion box thing that can do what he's asking for.
i.e.

Quote:
Part No. Description 105.001 Ohms tester for resistance gauges 2-500 ohms105.002 Adjustment Pot
Is essentially a more upmarket version of the Resistance Wheel (but with some fine adjustment capability available) from Jaycar etc but with a lesser range and doubtless a much higher price.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:25 AM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
i.e.

Is essentially a more upmarket version of the Resistance Wheel (but with some fine adjustment capability available) from Jaycar etc but with a lesser range and doubtless a much higher price.
?

Part number 410.063 is what I'm talking about.

Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2020, 04:17 AM   #11
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Sorry I thought you meant this that is also on page 84 of that PDF catalogue.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VDO-GAUG...-/323105667363

Old 07-11-2020, 10:13 AM   #12
1968XTFairmont
Starter Motor

Thumbs up Re: Fuel Sender Ohm Convertor

Thanks for that information I will have a look at the PDF and go from there .
1968XTFairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2020, 06:16 PM   #13
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

I just remembered I also have this that I haven't used for decades (well at least many years before I passed the EH Holden Panel Van that I inherited from my grandfather via my father) onto my nephew. It is in a Litchfield Tool Labelled Cardboard Box but Googling it today by the tag on the Box suggests https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ndQAA...ttA/s-l400.jpg it is an OTC tool sold by John Deere but perhaps like John Deere Litchfield also sold it. The plastic Case has a "Serviceguard" Label on the front and what looks like a thermal printed label "JT01633". Very similar to the VDO tester. It could also be used to work out what the value of and additional resister connected in series would need to be to make a gauge work correctly. I know it is going a bit off topic but I thought I would post as it might be helpful for anyone with similar issues to the original OP.

BTW I had to add an inline resistor to the temperature sender in my NB Fairlane as being a prototype with a unique prototye dash cluster and temp sender, I could not get a replacements sender that would work with the gauge so it was a matter of playing with a laser thermometer and my resistance wheel to get it all working; I could have perhaps also have similarly used the Serviceguard calibrator if I had thought of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GaugeTester2small.jpg (40.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg gaugetester6small.jpg (37.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg GaugeTester3small.jpg (29.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg gaugetester5small.jpg (38.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Gaugetester4small.jpg (44.4 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by aussiblue; 07-11-2020 at 06:39 PM.
aussiblue is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post