Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-12-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default surging when accelerating

my car is surging when i accelerate up hills, its not bad but you can feel it pull back and then go again. injectors? never had them cleaned.

thoughts? P.S it does it with the A/C on or off. car has new plugs/leads and had a fault code check that was clear. throttle body has been cleaned.

amiers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2009, 09:25 AM   #2
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i had a same problem turned out to be my leads, when i put my foot down it would cough and splatter, also make sure you dont have water in the fuel, that also could cause the surging,

fuel filter
fuel pump

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

invest your money in LPG instead?
Old 11-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
all4fordau

Check the earthing between the battery and the engine block and the chassis. My car was doing similar and it was due to a stuffed earthing lead from the battery to the block. It had a voltage drop of 0.5volts between the battery and the block. A voltage drop of this magnitude can affect the signal from the oxy sensor and which in turn affects what the ecu does to enhance performance under load.
all4fordau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
invest your money in LPG instead?
yes Mr Hardware.straight after new year. after paying for petrol for a month after using gas for 4 years its killing me!
Old 11-12-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
The Monty
Just slidin'

Id say fuel filter. Give it a heap pf curry around a corner (like your trying to get sideways, but dont) with under half a tank, if it surges then, its your fuel filter.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #7
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiers
yes Mr Hardware.straight after new year. after paying for petrol for a month after using gas for 4 years its killing me!
aaahahahaha i should have put money on down the tab on that one, I FRKN KNEW IT

it would only be a matter of time, they all come back to LPG in the end, it's just too good to go away from.

Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
Old 15-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
HypnoTECH03
First Ford Owner

I had that issue about 8 months back and ended up having to replace my Ignition Coil!!!
Old 15-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #9
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm having the same problem. It's very minor and if someone jumped in the car and took it for a spin they wouldn't notice it but driving it everyday and getting used to the car you can feel it.

I haven't found the solution. Only thing I have done to date is set the TPS. As the guys have said it would be a number of things but over the break I am going to do the following(some to rectify other issues im having) and hope I can kill two birds with one stone.

- Run a fat earth cable from block to battery
- change fuel filter
- run a bottle of injector cleaner
- new msd coils & leads

Will let you know how I go if you haven't worked it out in a few weeks time.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 06:52 PM   #10
5L
[ 5L ]

i had same sort of problem, found a cracked spark plug replaced that. car was good for a day or 2, replaced my MSD leads with my standard ones same problem. ended up being corrosion in my MSD coil packs where one of the spark plug leads goes. cleaned it out with a light sand and some crc spray.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 11:44 PM   #11
troystanton78
IR84RD

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Id say fuel filter. Give it a heap pf curry around a corner (like your trying to get sideways, but dont) with under half a tank, if it surges then, its your fuel filter.
sorry for the hijack, but thank you monty, u saved me from asking the question to this answer, as this is exactly what i have just noticed in mine
Old 04-01-2010, 07:42 AM   #12
The Monty
Just slidin'

No probs. Mine actually was an original from the factory (110000km on it) and there was so much crap in the bottom of the fuel tank we replaced the pump as well, with the Walbro unit.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #13
347 mont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thats what mine does but you dont have to turn a corner as such, just full throtle on anything under 3/4 of a tank and it splutters and coughs and I also see the Traction Control light flash. I also susspected it was the fuel filter. This will be my fist process of elinination, then leads and plugs
Old 05-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #14
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Coil pack(s), fuel filter, fuel pump sock....

Is it for a 6 or 8?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2010, 11:42 PM   #15
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

where is, and how do you change the fuel filter?
Old 05-01-2010, 11:50 PM   #16
Kryton

Had the same in my AU (many years ago) and it was a buggered lead, even though it was only a couple of months old.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #17
The Monty
Just slidin'

Under the rear of the car, get in underneath the rear passengers door area. Need 2 spanners and a hose. Undo the two nuts to seperate them, then after you get covered in fuel, hose yourself.
This user likes this post:
Old 07-01-2010, 12:36 AM   #18
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Under the rear of the car, get in underneath the rear passengers door area. Need 2 spanners and a hose. Undo the two nuts to seperate them, then after you get covered in fuel, hose yourself.
To avoid the fuel spill, pull the fuel pump relays under the black cover near the battery, then start the car, and run it till it runs out of fuel (last time I did this, it cranked, coughed and that was it).

The fuel lines may have the quickfit connectors on one side of the filter too - just go to supercheap or repco and buy a set of quickfit removal tools (about $15 from memory).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 06:38 AM   #19
The Monty
Just slidin'

Good idea JC, sure beats getting covered in fuel and smelling like ethanol for a week.
Old 30-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #20
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thread Mine alert.

OP, I was wondering if you resolved your issue here?

I have changed fuel filter, run injector cleaner, fitted msd coils and leads, new o2 sensors, fitted 4 guage cable from front crossmember>negative terminal and replaced tiny earth from alternator>negative terminal with 8 guage.

Problem remains.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #21
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Had a look at the sock for the fuel pump, Whoosha posted a guide about how to replace it since his son's SR was having issues.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #22
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

my au xr8 is doing exactly as monty describes...... surges like a rev limiter when under 1/4 tank. Fuel filter is only 6 months old, but will change it again and hopefully it will sort it out. And thanks for the tip also JC, will give that a go for sure
Old 09-10-2011, 06:30 AM   #23
fordey01

Default Re: surging when accelerating

I have a 03 ford ba futura an sometimes when im stopped at lights the revs drop down then back to normal put a new fuel filter in its still doing same prob took it in to fords an its coming up with a fault code an they theres nothing wrong with my cam timing, coils, fuel pump,etc are good an they say it might be exhaust emissions so i was get if i was to get my fuel injectors cleand an having a look the catalytic converter to see if its clogged or maybe blogged that get rid of my problem ....?????
fordey01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2011, 06:35 AM   #24
fordey01

and its also surging when when i accelerate from lights to.
fordey01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2011, 06:52 AM   #25
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Welcome to the forums!!...

Here's a thread that will be helpful for you....
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ight=idle+drop

Also, usually the correct area to post in is "B-Series.com.au" and for questions like these, in "B-Series Technical"....

Cheers....
-xrghiawagon
Old 15-06-2015, 06:21 PM   #26
teodor
Starter Motor

Question has anyone sorted this problem ?? as I am going nuts over a au xr6 with the same gremlins as everyone has described, any advice would be great.
teodor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2015, 07:56 PM   #27
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teodor View Post
Question has anyone sorted this problem ?? as I am going nuts over a au xr6 with the same gremlins as everyone has described, any advice would be great.
Hi & welcome to AFF! Bit of a T/M but shhh, its ok first post & all! What series XR6 & tell us exactly whats it doing please? I reckon do a complete full service if not already on it, then check your fuel pump/ sock/ fuel pump alignment. If you've got extractors on it, it wouldn't hurt to check for any cracked pipes on any welds, leave the fpr for the last thing to check, good luck with it!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)

Last edited by Maka; 15-06-2015 at 08:14 PM.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2016, 09:25 PM   #28
gp351
Papa Smurf

we are having trouble with my wifes 2007 Ford Territory, it has had this intermittent surge / engine lose of power. Everyone has had the same or similar fault but a "ZILLION" different ideas to fix it!!!.Replaced coils and spark plugs, fuel filter, fitted extra lead from battery to engine, swapped fuel pump relay and seemed OK, maybe for a while. But then it seemed to have same sort of fault, or maybe a slightly different?. Then I fitted extractors and high flow cat exhaust ,,,that upset the computer because ever since computer light comes on saying lean exhaust!!!.Fitted new O2 senser, cam sensers,Then I changed TPS and accelerator pedal (fly by wire), again went OK for a week or 2... Just in last couple of weeks the car cut out, stopped completely, re-started a few minites later and I got a chance to drive it!... it was surging like blocked fuel filter or lack of pressure. Replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter (filter seemed fine but change it anyway). Car has gone great for 2 weeks and done a couple of hundred k's. BUT... wife said it played up a little bit again today... really had enough of the car but maybe,,, fuel pressure regulator ???????

Last edited by gp351; 19-11-2016 at 09:27 PM. Reason: left something out
gp351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2016, 10:04 PM   #29
Doreturnonfoot

Maybe leads if not done already
Doreturnonfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post