The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-08-2016, 07:02 PM   #31
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Diesel Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
The 2.2 ranger ....phttt for towing

If you had 3.2 in the ranger I would guarantee your falcon would be parked up when you tow your boat.
Maybe, but I didn't get a choice with the work car. For the size of the boat, the ghia with its zf does it well. Lt's and a manual on a wet ramp doesn't excite me either... 245s for the win in my case
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2016, 08:41 PM   #32
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Firstly, I said really big 4WD.
Secondly, I was quoting someone who mentioned driving only 10k a year.

If you think buying a small car with a diesel for 3k over the petrols price, doing less than 10k a year, and keeping it for 4 years is anything other than a complete toss and just trying to be trendy, then I have nothing.

So many people do this.

I've driven plenty diesel cars VS the petrol brother and I generally prefer the petrol for response and power, they also make far better noises.

The servicing costs of diesels are significantly higher.
They are much more fussy for quality fuel.
They have catastrophic failures all too regularly and are incredibly expensive to repair.

The list goes on and on.
Sure they're better than they once were, however they're also taken a few steps back in some areas (mainly complexity).
The significant advantage a diesel once had over it's petrol brother is all but gone.

But, it's trendy.
Completely agree.

To add to your list - diesel engines are a lot heavier than their petrol equivalent, so they wreak havoc with steering, weight distribution... driver enjoyment in general. Obviously that's not a concern for 99% if buyers, but for me it's a deal breaker before you even start talking about how they sound, how they (don't) rev, and yeah the list goes on...
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2016, 10:26 PM   #33
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
The 2.2 ranger ....phttt for towing

If you had 3.2 in the ranger I would guarantee your falcon would be parked up when you tow your boat.
Still slow and boring to drive.
Old 26-08-2016, 10:28 PM   #34
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
Completely agree.

To add to your list - diesel engines are a lot heavier than their petrol equivalent, so they wreak havoc with steering, weight distribution... driver enjoyment in general. Obviously that's not a concern for 99% if buyers, but for me it's a deal breaker before you even start talking about how they sound, how they (don't) rev, and yeah the list goes on...
They're more costly to build in many areas. From engine, electrics, emmissions. They pay off in high km applications otherwise its a false economy....like other alternative fuels.
Old 26-08-2016, 10:41 PM   #35
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Each to there own. That's why we are so lucky in this country that we have choices. We have 4 diesels in our family and if I followed this thread I'd sell them straight away. Barges, heavy, expensive to service blah blah blah.......... funny thing is they have all been faultless and extremely cheap to run.......but if it's on a forum , it must be gospel...........
8 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2016, 01:14 AM   #36
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Still slow and boring to drive.
Plenty of other diesel cars out there that are not boring, you still living in the old days.......
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2016, 06:30 AM   #37
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
Completely agree.

It is true , diesel engines are too heavy and don't handle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuNtw5XbxJg
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2016, 07:47 AM   #38
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Plenty of other diesel cars out there that are not boring, you still living in the old days.......
Im refering to the ranger.
Old 27-08-2016, 09:38 AM   #39
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
It is true , diesel engines are too heavy and don't handle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuNtw5XbxJg

Well I've sure been convinced, and will be ticking the diesel option box when I'm ordering my next LeMans car that's for sure.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2016, 10:08 AM   #40
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so if the diesel is that bad I wonder why jaguar offer it in their xj series still
3.0 LITRE V6 221 TURBOCHARGED DIESEL
The new uprated Jaguar 3.0 litre 221kW diesel engine, offers improved performance and fuel efficiency delivering 0-100km/h in 6.2 seconds.
Fuel Economy (Combined): 5.7 l/100km
CO2 Emissions: 149g/km
Transmission: 8-speed automatic transmission with Intelligent Stop/Start
http://www.jaguar.com.au/jaguar-rang...res/index.html

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2016, 11:50 AM   #41
monzie

It all depends on your situation, living in the country it's diesel where you can take advantage of the better fuel consumption, availability, etc, plus the towing side of things.
Diesels in the city are a different matter, not really suited to stop start driving and short trips. Petrols are better suited to city driving duties.
Old 27-08-2016, 11:50 AM   #42
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
When a diesel becomes the less economic purchase, it will be at its end.
they can make them meet regulations with DPF adblue etc but it can subtract performance or add to running costs.

bigger vehicles, will still hold their own for a while yet.

But that still doesn't stop people who only drive 10,000 kms a year Buying a diesel Holden Cruise for 3 grand more than the Petrol model..
This.

I talked my folks out of a diesel Subaru Outback when Dad retired, they bought the petrol variant & have done bugger all k's since.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-08-2016, 01:34 PM   #43
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a Nissan 2.0 pulsar diesel that was suited for city driving and hopeless on the motorway. used more fuel than the Australian 1.8 petrol but could tow the max that the car allowed.

Recent trip to Canberra saw loads of 2.2 ranger. The roads system was slow that couldnt see a reason for a 3.2.

I have a D/MAX now to replace the 3.2 ranger. There is no way you go to a petrol in this size vehicle.

My current Postman has a Diesel holden SUV, and leaves oil/diesel rainbow at the mail box. It has been much cheaper to run than the smaller cars or Suzuki 4X4 that they use locally.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2016, 01:43 PM   #44
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I've got a 1982 F100 with a 2V 351C in it.

It does 35L/100km on my 25km trip to work which is mostly 100km/h

Diesel has its place in the light commercial world, due to DPF/SCR I wouldn't buy another diesel car, too many potential issues.

But my TDCI Focus is awesome, ride that fat torque curve, it makes a nice small car to drive.

I also ran a 16.32 in it down the 1/4
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2016, 04:34 PM   #45
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Im refering to the ranger.

The Ranger would still be boring to drive on the road if it had a petrol engine. It would just rev harder, sound better and use more fuel in the process. It's not a sports car, it's good for off-roading, carrying heavy and bulky items and towing. If you buy a 4x4 ute to hoon around in peak hour traffic you are gonna have a bad time, no matter what engine you have.
Although I wouldn't say no to a V8 petrol engine in it. I eouldn't mind some straight line performance and a sweet soundtrack. That's what I love about American Utes.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: