Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-02-2016, 05:33 PM   #1
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default About to move out for the first time

I'm 18 and leaving for University in Otago (other side of New Zealand) from where I currently live in Auckland. This is the first time I'm leaving home and honestly, I'm sacking it so hard right now.

What was it like for all you guys when you moved away for the first time? Any advice for a young incapable of being self sufficient, totally unprepared fulla like me?

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2016, 05:42 PM   #2
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: About to move out for the first time

You'll find your feet pretty quickly.. You have no choice.

You'll figure out what you took for granted, even stupid stuff like laundry and dishes being washed, but you'll also love the freedom and personal space.
Old 19-02-2016, 05:45 PM   #3
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you're on your own don't fall into the trap of takeaway most nights!
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2016, 05:48 PM   #4
1TUFFUTE
Banned

^^^^^learn to cook quick easy HEALTH as possible food. I stress healthy.

DBournes comments spot on agree also ;)
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2016, 06:08 PM   #5
Glen 5150
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Work out a budget............and then double it until you get into a routine. You'll be getting bills for things you never knew existed or unexpectedly took for granted. Always expect the unexpected, so try and put a bit aside every week if you can.

Learn to be frugal, but not tight. Big difference.

You'll love the freedom, added responsibilities and the independence, good luck!!
Glen 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2016, 06:11 PM   #6
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
if you're on your own don't fall into the trap of takeaway most nights!
Or beer! For Heaven's sake, stay away from the strong drink...

Not that I would know about such things...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2016, 06:32 PM   #7
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

A very exciting time indeed!!!!

Like others have said, budget, plan but also enjoy yourself a bit too.

Best tip I can give about food is, buy a microwave. It will become your new best friend

Learn to cook meals that you can freeze and are happy to reheat the next night.

When you buy stuff like bacon, split it up into smaller portions (in those zip lock bags) that you can also freeze. Last thing you want is stuff going off because it's taking you too long to use it.

And finally, I don't know one uni student that doesn't have a cupboard full of 2 minute noodles

The other thing you can or should think about is the idea of getting a house mate to help with the bills? Maybe get to know a few other students first, as I'm sure that they will be in a similar situation. But if you do, make sure you write down an agreement on who is responsible for what.

Good luck and make sure you put up a few pics of the bachelor pad....
Old 19-02-2016, 08:33 PM   #8
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems like you buy some kind of kitchen/cooking utensil every friggin' week for the first 6 months. You think you are sorted with openers and peelers and tongs and **** to only find something else you don't have.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2016, 08:59 PM   #9
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are leaving home, O the fun

theres a reason frozen pies come in packs of 6

Cause Saturday night you take a chick out ;)

my first time out was a share house, we never even turned the gas stove on in the 6months I lived there but the fridge was always full

great times you'll find your feet fast and have a ball
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2016, 09:17 PM   #10
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

A good supply of condoms should be a consideration too......
Old 19-02-2016, 09:45 PM   #11
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
A good supply of condoms should be a consideration too......
And candles.

Leave the lights on and women get self-conscious.

Turn the lights off and you can't see a damn thing.

Get a packet of tea light candles. They burn for hours, and don't leave a mess.

And, massage oil. Do a massage class if you can.

Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2016, 09:59 PM   #12
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Not that this is much help, but I realised how good I had it at home with Mum for $50/week room and board when I moved out at 20yo.

Washing/ironing/bed made/good tucker the list goes on!

Reality bites hard. I was netting $225 p/w in wages, rent on my one bedroom flat was $115 p/w, didn't leave much for food/smokes/grog - managed though.

Sage advice about noodles though. Different flavours make for variety, add a slice of processed cheese in the mix - goes alright.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2016, 10:05 PM   #13
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty View Post
Not that this is much help, but I realised how good I had it at home with Mum for $50/week room and board when I moved out at 20yo.

Washing/ironing/bed made/good tucker the list goes on!

Reality bites hard. I was netting $225 p/w in wages, rent on my one bedroom flat was $115 p/w, didn't leave much for food/smokes/grog - managed though.

Sage advice about noodles though. Different flavours make for variety, add a slice of processed cheese in the mix - goes alright.

Cheers!
Ha ha - I was on $600 a month when I moved out.....I didn't move far though. I was lucky that my Mum & Dad built a self contained flat as an extension when I was 6. Mum still did all my washing, but i did the rest!
Old 19-02-2016, 11:28 PM   #14
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As far as cooking and stuff goes, I'm actually in a hall this year because I'm a first year. At Otago only second years and onwards flat, almost all first years go into halls. Anyway, I have 3 fully catered meals a day as well as heating (bloody need it in Dunedin), weekly vacuuming etc. etc. All I really have to do is do my laundry and that's really it. The rest is just like living at home more or less.

I guess I'm just feeling early homesickness haha. I don't think I've ever been away from home/parents for more than 2 weeks at any time, so it's all a big change for me, I've also only lived in Auckland my entire life so that adds to it. Plus my best friend is staying in Auckland and most of my close friends have spread out across different Uni's, so I'm kinda walking in alone (know a couple people, but yea). Actually reading over this it seems to me like I'm really making a mountain out of a molehill. Still nervous af though

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"

4 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2016, 11:36 PM   #15
Benno91

Sounds a bit like a halfway house!
Benno91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2016, 11:42 PM   #16
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

- Master four or five basic, cheap healthy recipes. Emphasis on basic - even if its just frozen fish and veggies.

-Only buy things in bulk if they don't have an expiry date (or you definitely know you'll use it up before it goes off). Even if something is cheaper in bulk, you aren't saving money if you throw half of it away.

-Keep track of how much you spend on alcohol and going out

-Separate your laundry - never mix white clothes with dark ones if you can help it, and always wash towels and sheets separately to clothes. Laundry detergent works better in warm water than it does in cold. Tumble dry business shirts (and other things that wrinkle like jeans) by themselves, and hang them up as soon as they come out of the dryer - you will never need to iron anything.
Old 19-02-2016, 11:51 PM   #17
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Cheap mince, pasta sauce and (of course) pasta. Goes a long way for very little $, and never gets boring. Also condiments, herbs and spices to personalize just about anything you make. Look for specials and buy as much as you can afford at the time. This will help you relax knowing you'll always have something to eat if the occasion arises that you're broke for a while.
marty351 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2016, 11:51 PM   #18
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post
As far as cooking and stuff goes, I'm actually in a hall this year because I'm a first year. At Otago only second years and onwards flat, almost all first years go into halls. Anyway, I have 3 fully catered meals a day as well as heating (bloody need it in Dunedin), weekly vacuuming etc. etc. All I really have to do is do my laundry and that's really it. The rest is just like living at home more or less.

I guess I'm just feeling early homesickness haha. I don't think I've ever been away from home/parents for more than 2 weeks at any time, so it's all a big change for me, I've also only lived in Auckland my entire life so that adds to it. Plus my best friend is staying in Auckland and most of my close friends have spread out across different Uni's, so I'm kinda walking in alone (know a couple people, but yea). Actually reading over this it seems to me like I'm really making a mountain out of a molehill. Still nervous af though
Right, so you only have to learn how to do your washing....

Buy / take heaps of clothes and save your washing up for once a week....Never mix your colours and make sure you have a good 'opener' when you meet a nice young lady in the laundromat!!!!
Old 20-02-2016, 12:08 AM   #19
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Since you'll be alone for the time being, join some groups/clubs that the Uni offer, this will help you meet people.

Start visiting op-shops/thrift stores.

Try and date someone that works at the local KFC.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2016, 01:04 AM   #20
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dragged a mattress into the TV room had a floorobe, couchrobe and had a deli across the road., heaven.
Now I nag my daughter for being a slob, how the wheel has turned, but it least it was my own house living by self, ahh the memories, the good old days.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2016, 06:41 PM   #21
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Word of advice from someone that lives down here...pack some thermals mate it does get a tad cold come winter...actually come winter/spring and autumn. Enjoy fella...work hard play hard and all will be good.
Old 21-02-2016, 12:14 AM   #22
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TLS View Post
Word of advice from someone that lives down here...pack some thermals mate it does get a tad cold come winter...actually come winter/spring and autumn. Enjoy fella...work hard play hard and all will be good.
I know ay! I just moved in today and it's what 12 degrees at night in the middle of summer! In Auckland I'd have been sitting at around 16 degrees.

I've done the calculations and it looks like I'll actually be going upto Auckland for a weekend or so every month or so. Just turns out the uni breaks and a couple public holidays tends to work out in my favor. Being an only child my parents are overjoyed to have me visit So all is well for now

Old 21-02-2016, 02:59 AM   #23
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post
Being an only child my parents are overjoyed to have me visit
Yeah they all say that.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2016, 09:35 PM   #24
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Make sure you can lock all your belongings in your own room and don't take valuables as unfortunately some people take advantage of situations like this.
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2016, 12:07 AM   #25
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

If I was going offer anyone advice when leaving home it would be simply to enjoy it as it will form one of the most lasting memories you’ll ever have.

I did a lot of sharing when I was in my late teens and early 20’s and you’re going to come in contact with a world of personalities and you’ll find good and bad so never waste time taking the bad too seriously as this part of your life will be gone before you know it.

If you are smart the best part will be learning how to grow, interact and deal with many people outside your current known life circle and that is worth its weight in gold for your future prospects.

And good luck with Uni.

Oh and eat lots of vegi's.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2016, 12:25 AM   #26
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did the same thing - left home when I was 18. I joined the Defence Force (Navy) Left 20 yrs later in 2000. If I recall, I didn't really have any reservations at the time - it was only a move from Adelaide to Melbourne!!

But I guess it is a lot different these days - I do like Express's advice - you firstly have to confident that you are doing the right thing but mostly, enjoy the experience!!

Good Luck.

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post