Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 31-01-2016, 11:08 PM   #1
valiant81
Starter Motor

Default 12 Volt socket.....

Hi all;
I have a series 1 ford forte ( 56000Kms ) that i want to install a 12 Volt socket ( merrit type ) so as i can run a 40 ltr engle fridge that will sit on the back seat of the car. Ok looking at the owners manual there are a couple of spair fuses ( 1&2 ) in the fuse pannel under the drivers right foot, and are these fuses switched off with the Ingnition.

Question is, is there a negitive post near the fuse pannel or am i better of to just use the chassie as a earth point. Just thought i would ask before i go in boots and all.
valiant81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2016, 07:21 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: 12 Volt socket.....

There is an earth point at one end of the earth panel but it will depend where you end up mounting the socket as to whether it is better to use a chassis earth or not.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2016, 08:29 AM   #3
valiant81
Starter Motor

Hi all & thanks Russ;
I will end up placeing the power socket at the back of the centre console or inside the console under the arm rest. Will have to work out the easyest way. I will be useing a length of 6mm low voltage wire left over from my caravan when i installed a few 12 sockets around the van.

Being a semi retired electronics teck i was allways told to run a power and earth wire back to the fuse pannel and earthing there.Even in some cases the power feed was taken all the way back to the main battery (s). I've seen to many problems because of a poor earth, audio amplifiers and 2 way radio trancievers were one thing that comes to mind.
valiant81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2016, 08:46 AM   #4
Ansimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by valiant81 View Post
Hi all & thanks Russ;
I will end up placeing the power socket at the back of the centre console or inside the console under the arm rest. Will have to work out the easyest way. I will be useing a length of 6mm low voltage wire left over from my caravan when i installed a few 12 sockets around the van.

Being a semi retired electronics teck i was allways told to run a power and earth wire back to the fuse pannel and earthing there.Even in some cases the power feed was taken all the way back to the main battery (s). I've seen to many problems because of a poor earth, audio amplifiers and 2 way radio trancievers were one thing that comes to mind.
If you find a good earth near your socket location you will reduce potential voltage drop by reducing the length of your cable run. That being said 6mm will go a long way to reducing voltage drop
Ansimp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post