Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-01-2016, 06:08 PM   #31
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ricky Muir wants new laws to stop motorists being ripped off at the bowser

If petrol stations are guilty of gouging, what are other businesses guilty of? A petrol station may buy petrol at the terminal Gate price, and put 10 to 15% on the price and resell it, and other times they may even sell it at less than the price they buy it for. People need to read the financial accounts of all the retail companies that listed on the ASX. Its not uncommon for these companys to be buying goods, and marking them up 100% by the time they hit the customer. Petrol retailers would love to be getting the same markups that all other retailers are getting.

As for Ricky Muir, aint we paying a huge markup for him. Before being elected to parliament, he was only getting circa $60,000 a year, now he expects to be getting $200,000 plus a year.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2016, 12:11 AM   #32
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ricky Muir wants new laws to stop motorists being ripped off at the bowser

Just need more Costco servos and all the other servos in the area drop their prices to match.
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2016, 07:43 AM   #33
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't like high prices anymore then anyone else, but I am struggling to understand if we are going to live in a capitalist society and we aren't going to nationalise our fuel distribution system, because having the people of Australia own things isn't the current idealogical thinking, then how can we think we have any "rights' over petrol prices? Its a free market and free markets charge what the market can bare. Anyone who purchased a house in Australia and paid the insane prices that market has seen in the last three or so decades knows what I mean. We deregulated the banking industry, sold the government owned bank that heavily influenced market prices (Comm bank) and though its competition regulated and controlled the others and what happened? Basically the banks and the real estate industry shafted you because they can. A house worth 60000 three decades ago is now your wonderful 1 million dollar home.

The only thing the government can and does do, is tax the crap out of petrol, which of course they do.

For the last three decades we have been told unions are evil and government control is bad for everything. We as a society agreed with that and we voted for it many times. Greed is now rampant and the new norm as previously government owned services are used to milk us for every last cent. Real wages for many has gone backwards for over two decades while at the other end of town salaries and bonuses have gone up several thousand percent. This is unregulated capatalism and we voted for it. Its not BP's fault or Coles or anyone else's fault. It is our collective stupid.

Last edited by DanielXR8; 28-01-2016 at 08:02 AM.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2016, 08:49 AM   #34
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
I don't like high prices anymore then anyone else, but I am struggling to understand if we are going to live in a capitalist society and we aren't going to nationalise our fuel distribution system, because having the people of Australia own things isn't the current idealogical thinking, then how can we think we have any "rights' over petrol prices? Its a free market and free markets charge what the market can bare. Anyone who purchased a house in Australia and paid the insane prices that market has seen in the last three or so decades knows what I mean. We deregulated the banking industry, sold the government owned bank that heavily influenced market prices (Comm bank) and though its competition regulated and controlled the others and what happened? Basically the banks and the real estate industry shafted you because they can. A house worth 60000 three decades ago is now your wonderful 1 million dollar home.

The only thing the government can and does do, is tax the crap out of petrol, which of course they do.

For the last three decades we have been told unions are evil and government control is bad for everything. We as a society agreed with that and we voted for it many times. Greed is now rampant and the new norm as previously government owned services are used to milk us for every last cent. Real wages for many has gone backwards for over two decades while at the other end of town salaries and bonuses have gone up several thousand percent. This is unregulated capatalism and we voted for it. Its not BP's fault or Coles or anyone else's fault. It is our collective stupid.
I don't share that sentiment because I didn't vote for that party. The red team is light blue now, no balance perhaps?

As for Ricky, he's had multiple times to get on his soapbox & hasn't when he should've, he is chewing the fat like the rest of the mob down in Canberra or is it Cantberra l!!!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2016, 10:23 AM   #35
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I think it's more the fact that with fuel, people do not have a choice because we are forced to be so heavily reliant on it and in that is the opportunistic mindset set by the fuel companies. Every time someone has invented a fossil fuel less alternative, the fuel co's buy out or make that idea disappear to ensure their cash cow (in us) is making its coin.

The idea of electric vehicles is great but even then it is still difficult to want to take long trips with minimal recharge stations available. Then at what cost is this electric car and how long will it take to break even on a combustion engine? Im getting off track here.

Im still annoyed the banks were deregulated. I think that one act shafted us officially.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2016, 10:26 AM   #36
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
So simple maths, if GovCo's tax is 50% of the price of fuel, when fuel is $1.50 per litre, GovCo get 75 cents in tax. And when fuel is $1.00 per litre, GovCo only get 50 cents in tax. So why would GovCo want cheaper fuel?
This is not correct !!

The 2 main taxes applied to petrol are excise (around 39c/litre) & GST of 10 %.

At $1.50/per litre RRP, the Feds get 39c for excise & the States get 13.6c for GST. That's a total of 52.6c per litre.

At $1.00/per litre RRP, the Feds still get 39c but the States now get 9c from GST. That's 48c total taxes per litre.

So the total taxes dropped only 4.6c, when the petrol price dropped from $1.50 down to $1.00 per litre.

Given that, the Feds really have no vested interest in the price of petrol at the pump.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2016, 11:42 AM   #37
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

My beef is not with petrol prices per se, but rather the fluctuations.

This is fine for competition, however there is an almighty flaw.

The disparity between city and country of 25c per litre cannot be entirely due to transport costs and lack of competition. There is something else going on.

They say that Coles and Woolies dominate the market and therefore can set the price.

In my town of about 6,000 we cannot generate the economies of scale that will allow retailers to drop their prices. We have three retailers - Coles, Woolies and an independent. I always get my fuel from the independent who doesn't have E10 and petrol prices are about 4c higher than the others. Pretty soon they will be forced by the NSW govmint to make E10 available for customers.
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/ethanol-pu...01-glc6me.html

I fail to see how this will benefit the motorist.

But back to Coles and Woolies. Wherever you go in Australia Coles and Woolies sell bread and milk at rock bottom prices of $1 each, as well as other grocery lines. They could do this for petrol but choose not to.

And tell me again that if the margin for retailers in 8c, how can the price of petrol vary by as much as 12c overnight?

I know that fuel cost is a minor cost of running a motor vehicle. I am happy to pay a fair and reasonable price for fuel. What I don't like is the lack of transparency in fuel marketing. It's the Singapore price. It's the dollar. It's transportation costs. It's healthy competition (boy I'd like to know how they all can have exactly the same price in a given area)

And how many enquiries have come to nought?
Cav is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2016, 11:59 AM   #38
danthefordman
Leftyos

If you want fuel prices to change the market has the power. If every consumer in oz bought fuel from one retailer only for a week I bet you would see prices from the competition retailers. Although now our fuel is all shipped in and theres no competition from the two big refineries maybe it would come to nought.
Old 28-01-2016, 02:05 PM   #39
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
This is not correct !!

The 2 main taxes applied to petrol are excise (around 39c/litre) & GST of 10 %.

At $1.50/per litre RRP, the Feds get 39c for excise & the States get 13.6c for GST. That's a total of 52.6c per litre.

At $1.00/per litre RRP, the Feds still get 39c but the States now get 9c from GST. That's 48c total taxes per litre.

So the total taxes dropped only 4.6c, when the petrol price dropped from $1.50 down to $1.00 per litre.

Given that, the Feds really have no vested interest in the price of petrol at the pump.

Dr Terry
The Feds do have an interest since fuel excise is indexed twice a year to inflation.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2016, 06:10 PM   #40
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
The Feds do have an interest since fuel excise is indexed twice a year to inflation.
True, but excise is a fixed $ amount & doesn't vary with the price of petrol.

It doesn't matter if fuel is 50c, $1.00, $1.50, $2.00 or $2.50 per litre, the fuel excise amount is the same in $$ terms.

Dr Terry.
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2016, 07:26 PM   #41
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

On the Gold Coast this morning

Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-01-2016, 10:00 PM   #42
paulb351

Default Ricky Muir wants new laws to stop motorists being ripped off at the bowser

And in areas without an independent the price from woollies/Coles much higher so they subsidise the woollies/Coles down the road from the independent to burn him out and reduce competition further. This monopoly/oligopoly behaviour can only be stopped by government involvement as the free market is broken...
paulb351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2016, 10:50 PM   #43
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb351 View Post
And in areas without an independent the price from woollies/Coles much higher so they subsidise the woollies/Coles down the road from the independent to burn him out and reduce competition further. This monopoly/oligopoly behaviour can only be stopped by government involvement as the free market is broken...
Not really, have a few independents in my area that has been competing quite well with the big boys for many years, always cheaper.
Old 29-01-2016, 12:05 AM   #44
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post

What occurs with fuel is not transparent and we are being ripped off. The ACCC seem powerless to do anything.
i thought it was the accc job to find fix and fine bad market practices. ever since alan fells left the accc , all has gone quite. he had telstra and other big companies in court all the time for unfair trading practices. the accc need someone with some balls.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2016, 03:11 AM   #45
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
i thought it was the accc job to find fix and fine bad market practices. ever since alan fells left the accc , all has gone quite. he had telstra and other big companies in court all the time for unfair trading practices. the accc need someone with some balls.
The problem is the government has restricted the powers of the ACCC, it is a toothless tiger these days.
Old 29-01-2016, 08:32 AM   #46
paulb351

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Not really, have a few independents in my area that has been competing quite well with the big boys for many years, always cheaper.

Not the case in qld where Coles/Woolies have something like an 80% Share and independents a small part of the rest

Cheapest fuel always the area with an independent is located, next suburb over same woolies/Coles prices are significantly higher I find
paulb351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2016, 09:07 PM   #47
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think it is time media and our political leaders started promoting the hard work that many responsible car clubs, individuals and event organisers put in to creating facilities and venues for motorsport. So many people volunteer for driver education programs at tracks, push a strong keep it off the streets message with so many clubs and events donating thousands upon thousands to charities every year. It is time Governments contribute towards creating more venues adding to the 2.6 billion dollars and 16,000-plus full time jobs motorsport already contributes to the economy. The value add through the $13 billion aftermarket industry would also help an already thriving industry grow assisting in skills transfer once automotive manufacturing ceases in Australia.
More here...
http://www.senatormuir.org.au/news/t...ss-of-burnouts
Old 30-01-2016, 09:29 PM   #48
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZZLR View Post
On the Gold Coast this morning

Big price difference between diesel and petrol up there, last time I filled my Focus, 91 and diesel were 109.9/L in Lancefield.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2016, 06:39 AM   #49
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

BP anywhere on the Gold Coast are $1.27 for std unleaded ... RIP OFF Muppets.

Where as everyone else is $1.02 or thereabouts, filled up at Caltex Labrador 3.00am this morning and diesel was $1.11 !!

I will never purchase BP fuel again and i havn't for nearly 6 months ...
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2016, 10:19 AM   #50
Pis-ton broke
Banned

does anybody remember three or four weeks ago , there was a big talk fest in Copenhagen, in that meeting of great minds (cough) ,from all around the world, apparently they agreed to not be so reliant on fossil fuels, they signed some special document( probably just did the pinky promise).Renewable energy is back in the spotlight. Well anyway, i could not believe it , the very next day oil prices per drum started to drop a lot (prices were heaps more than now) , some coincidence. And now Iran wants to enter the oil market, good. I guess they to need to milk the golden goose too, before electric cars become mainstream.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2016, 11:09 AM   #51
blue sleeper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't say I don't agree with him when the price goes up 14 cents from one day to the next......

Have: 1JZ Soarer dump pipe, exhaust, coilovers , 17" mags
blue sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2016, 01:14 PM   #52
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wow, lot of butthurt in this thread. What's wrong, a normal, everyday bloke got up and won and you're bitching about it? What happened to the good ol' Aussie spirit of getting behind the underdog?

Here a story of Ricky, that everyday Aussie dirt bike riding with a Journo. Probably handles a bike a lot better than an interview.

https://www.facebook.com/SenatorRickyMuir/
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: