Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-01-2016, 08:38 PM   #1
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Default Delay/off switch on headlight switch question.

G'day all...

I've been thinking a lot lately about how being able to switch off all the interior lights, so that they don't come on when doors are open or when the key is removed from the ignition, would be extremely handy for situations like camping trips etc...

Unfortunately, in my AUII Futura wagon, there is no way of doing this... they lights will come on regardless.

I know Opt.20 cars came with a switch on the centre fascia, but getting hold of one of those is near impossible.

Looking at pictures of high-series interiors, I noticed how the headlight switch also has the delay/off switch. When it's turned to off, is that all lights out? Even when the doors are open?
I've got one of these switches but the delay/off doesn't work properly in low-series cars. Curious whether it's possible to get it working, provided switching it to off will do what I'm after!

Cheers!
Chris
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2016, 10:35 PM   #2
Drecian

Default Re: Delay/off switch on headlight switch question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadFalcon View Post
I noticed how the headlight switch also has the delay/off switch. When it's turned to off, is that all lights out? Even when the doors are open?
In my AU1 Fairlane, the delay switch only controls the headlight auto off setting.
'Delay' leaves the headlights on for 90sec after you turn the car off, then turns them off automatically (you leave the light switch to 'on/park'). I guess for finding your way in a dark garage...?
'Off' disables this, so your headlamps just stay on until you turn them off manually.
Neither setting seems to have anything effect on the interior lighting in my car.

If it's something you would use regularly, maybe just splice in a toggle switch somewhere in the fused circuit for the interior light? (On=normal operation. Off=no interior lighting)?
This user likes this post:
Old 19-01-2016, 07:26 AM   #3
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

I thought the AU cars had the 'Police' option available via PDS to enable exactly what you are looking for.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-01-2016, 06:34 PM   #4
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Cheers guys, I may have to go for the toggle switch option. Just that I've been looking for the neatest way possible to do this.

Ah I did forget that about the delay switch... doh!

How do you mean Russ? Not sure what PDS is so I don't really know what you're referring to?
I do know the Opt20 police pack cars have a button next to the air con vents in the centre facia, which is an interior light cut-off. I've tried to find a facia with the button but so far haven't come across one... despite knowing of two Opt20s that have been parted recently, missed out on both.
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2016, 09:54 PM   #5
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

IDS / WDS / PDSA are all plug in diagnostic and configuration tools at dealerships. I've seen the setting on high series cars but it's always off or always on. If you want to be able to switch it then I'd simply pick up a wire from the door switch and route it through the switch.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2016, 11:18 PM   #6
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. Hope you are good with electrics Chris. 4 options for you. Find the wires going up the drivers pillar,
(1) if you switch the green/yellow wire the interior light (and any map lights and reading lights ( lights over the back doors ) will stop working, factory footwell lights and key light will still work, dont know about wagon load area light.
(2) if you switch the black/blue the interior light will stop working and reading lights will not work from door switches, map lights (above mirror) and reading lights will still work from their own switches, footwell lights and ignition switch light will still work as normal, again dont know about load area light.
(3) find the green/yellow wire coming out of the body control module (need to drop module above your left foot), switching this wire will stop all interior, map, reading, footwell, key, and load area lights from working.
(4) find black/blue wire coming OUT of BCM (may be 2 black/blue wires, one from the door switches into the module and one out to the lights), switching this wire will stop interior, footwell and key lamp from working from the door switches and the BCM, Map lights and reading lights will still work from their own switches and the interior, footwell and key lights will still work from the switch on the headlight switch.
Just have to find that switch from an Opt20 car, Good luck.
Cheers MD
(3)

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2016, 09:38 PM   #7
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
I'd simply pick up a wire from the door switch and route it through the switch.
Don't do this. If you do this the car will not recognise a door opening and will relock again.
Been there done that, only to lock the keys inside
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post