Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-11-2015, 10:02 AM   #1
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

Default Tracking of fuel usage for tax purposes

So I thought I would ask the question on here to see if any one has some recommendations.
I use my vehicle a lot for work and also visiting investment properties etc. Starting to get sick of piles of faded reciepts etc

Is any one using a non business fuel card or the like to track their fuel usage for the finacial year?

Sylox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2015, 10:29 AM   #2
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Default Re: Tracking of fuel usage for tax purposes

If the car you are using is both for private transport and work use the receipts are not worth anything if the mileage is not recorded in a vehicle log book available from any newsagent.
You have to keep the log book for a minimum of 3 months and show all km both private and business and can only claim cents per km for business use.
Think about it you have a receipt for $80 for fuel but how much of that fuel was used for work and how much was used dropping hectic skids with your mates on saturday night? The tax office don't care about receipts that does not prove business use.
If you have 2 cars registered in your name and have a log book that shows one car full business use use a log book for 3 months show 0 private miles and claim every service tyre and fuel if not you can only claim km rate and a portion of maintenance costs the % is calculated from the log book.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2015, 10:50 AM   #3
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use credit card statement, then just tally up on a spreadsheet my total cost. Plus log book for business use percentage.

Never pay cash for anything so credit car is a perfect record of my expenditures.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2015, 06:04 PM   #4
malazn mafia
Boss 335

so for a petrolhead business owner, the best way to burn up the tax man's dollars is more power, less economy and drive in manner that is least economical. . It would totally suck driving a Tesla, as what fuel receipts would you have to prove anything ?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2015, 07:46 PM   #5
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
so for a petrolhead business owner, the best way to burn up the tax man's dollars is more power, less economy and drive in manner that is least economical. . It would totally suck driving a Tesla, as what fuel receipts would you have to prove anything ?
Drive it as hard as you like, all you're getting back is detailed below
Unless it's 100% business.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Inco...per-kilometre/
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-11-2015, 08:50 PM   #6
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
It worked for me! Having a 500rwhp supercharged V8 as my daily and working in realestate meant I was on first name basis with the local servo!
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2015, 09:19 PM   #7
Ruination

I must have been to idiotic accountants.
I don't own a business, but am a carpenter by trade working on wages and travel to different sites everyday lugging my own tools.
I was told that I can only claim travel between sites and not "To" site.

Can anyone shed a little more light on that for me because the boys at work are claiming every kilometer and getting big tax returns every year where as I am literally scraping the barrel when I get mine. They are collecting $1800+ each year and I get roughly $150 in tax returns.
Old 30-11-2015, 09:24 PM   #8
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruination View Post
I don't own a business, but am a carpenter by trade working on wages and travel to different sites everyday lugging my own tools.

Can anyone shed a little more light on that for me because the boys at work are claiming every kilometer and getting big tax returns every year where as I am literally scraping the barrel when I get mine. They are collecting $1800+ each year and I get roughly $150 in tax returns.
Id be looking into it, if your place of work (your bosses house/shed, is 5 mins away and the building sites are 30 you should be able to claim that
Edit, seems you can.
What you can claim

You can claim the cost of travelling:directly between two separate workplaces – for example, when you have a second job from your normal workplace to an alternative workplace (for example, a client's premises) while still on duty, and back to your normal workplace or directly home if your home was a base of employment – that is, you started your work at home and travelled to a workplace to continue your work for the same employer if you had shifting places of employment – that is, you regularly worked at more than one site each day before returning home from your home to an alternative workplace for work purposes, and then to your normal workplace or directly home, if you needed to carry bulky tools or equipment that you used for work and couldn't leave at your workplace – for example, an extension ladder or a cello.
https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/i...en-workplaces/
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt

Last edited by RANGEREST; 30-11-2015 at 09:39 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 30-11-2015, 09:32 PM   #9
paulb351

Quote:

That would be because the tax office considers travel to/from work is considered private travel and not claimable. Colleagues with larger claims may have used a different interpretation of where work is and therefore reduce the private use kilometres. Speak to an accountant to clarify what you can claim, looks like the cost will be money well spent many times over...

FYI, cents per kilometre basis for claims can only be used up to a maximum of 5,000 work km, over that value and you need to use a logbook and all that entails.
paulb351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2015, 09:53 PM   #10
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet View Post
Drive it as hard as you like, all you're getting back is detailed below
Unless it's 100% business.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Inco...per-kilometre/
Actually this is incorrect.

If you claim up to 5,000 km, you use these cents per km when claiming your deduction, extrapolated against your business mileage up to 5,000 km. Using this method, no need to keep a logbook for 3 months.

If you are using your vehicle for more than 5,000 km per annum, and want to claim, you keep a logbook recording each trip for 3 months, and then extrapolate out a business percentage which you claim for all vehicle running costs and depreciation. So if you are using it for 100% business, you will be able to claim 100%.

However, if you claim 100% you are asking to be audited, unless your business falls within that band of business where the ATO has deemed it likely to be 100% business use. I kept a logbook for 3 months and made sure I did most of my years compulsory training, driving to Sydney for the courses, and my business percentage was 89% (could not resist some spirited driving sessions late at night...).

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2015, 10:08 PM   #11
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Actually this is incorrect..
Which bit?
I'd suggest you take it up with the ATO it's their site, and their rules
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
Old 30-11-2015, 10:46 PM   #12
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet View Post
Which bit?
I'd suggest you take it up with the ATO it's their site, and their rules
The bit that infers the rates applies to km claimed above 5,000 km, as the logbook percentage then applies.

If you are not keeping a logbook and claim below 5,000 your statement is accurate.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2015, 10:59 PM   #13
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
The bit that infers the rates applies to km claimed above 5,000 km, as the logbook percentage then applies.

If you are not keeping a logbook and claim below 5,000 your statement is accurate.
My apologies, if you follow the link you'll have to read the list on the left to see https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Inco...ing-a-logbook/ this one
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
Old 30-11-2015, 11:46 PM   #14
Ruination

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGEREST View Post
Id be looking into it, if your place of work (your bosses house/shed, is 5 mins away and the building sites are 30 you should be able to claim that
Edit, seems you can.
What you can claim

You can claim the cost of travelling:directly between two separate workplaces – for example, when you have a second job from your normal workplace to an alternative workplace (for example, a client's premises) while still on duty, and back to your normal workplace or directly home if your home was a base of employment – that is, you started your work at home and travelled to a workplace to continue your work for the same employer if you had shifting places of employment – that is, you regularly worked at more than one site each day before returning home from your home to an alternative workplace for work purposes, and then to your normal workplace or directly home, if you needed to carry bulky tools or equipment that you used for work and couldn't leave at your workplace – for example, an extension ladder or a cello.
https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/i...en-workplaces/
That's the thing though, my normal workplace isn't anywhere in particular and is constantly changing, every 2 or 3 days I'm at a different site.

I bring my own nail guns, saws, a ladder and sometimes an air compressor, yet I am apparently exempt from collecting any travel expenses purely because I drive directly from home instead of hitching a lift with one of the guys who lives on the same street but has a company supplied car - which he claims out of pocket expenses related to the car.
But he too drives direct from home towing a trailer and the same accountant allowed him to claim such.....
Old 01-12-2015, 08:16 AM   #15
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Quote:
That's the thing though, my normal workplace isn't anywhere in particular and is constantly changing, every 2 or 3 days I'm at a different site.

I bring my own nail guns, saws, a ladder and sometimes an air compressor, yet I am apparently exempt from collecting any travel expenses purely because I drive directly from home instead of hitching a lift with one of the guys who lives on the same street but has a company supplied car - which he claims out of pocket expenses related to the car.
But he too drives direct from home towing a trailer and the same accountant allowed him to claim such.....
Follow the link above to the ato website, and print the pages off for your accountant,
also ask why your workmate can claim a car that's company supplied and you can't claim your own vehicle, that on its own doesn't make sense
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
Old 03-12-2015, 08:46 PM   #16
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

You can claim anything and everything as a tax deduction for business.
UNTIL YOU HAVE AN ATO AUDIT.
Then you will have to pay back illegal claims plus penalties and fines.
And by the way, your Accountant is not liable for shonky claims, you are.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post