Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-11-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
aufutura_bloke

Default AU Falcon futura illumination power window switch

got a 2001 ford falcon futura classic and the back light illumination bulb has blown that u can see the direction of window to wind up when u press buttun. have spoken to ford and the bulbs are not replaceable had to buy a complete new switch. how stupid is that.

Web-Site:
http://www.aufalcon.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?act=item&i=394
aufutura_bloke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-11-2007, 06:24 PM   #2
BOON250

If you pop the switch apart the bulb certainly looks replaceable. Square rubber base with two pins that poke through the rubber, I had the same looking bulbs on some switches in my old R32 Skyline. Im going to ask around auto electrical places to find some for mine. Ford want a criminal amount of money for new switches....

BOON250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 09:55 PM   #3
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Convert to LED... i know i am... just waiting for the parts... and its alot chearer!

There is a tutorial here if you think you are up to a little electronics play
Old 15-11-2007, 10:01 PM   #4
aufutura_bloke

does anyone know where these bulbs can be purchased from?

Web-Site:
Old 15-11-2007, 10:35 PM   #5
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

If you want to simply swap them for original ones, then you should be able to get them from Ford.

If you do a conversion to LED, then electronic suppliers like Jaycar or Dick Smith Electronics...
Old 15-11-2007, 11:34 PM   #6
Tech Trainer
Are you sure about that?

Yeah you can buy small 12v bulbs from Tandy, Dick Smith, etc. They have fairly long wires on them and they are brighter than the standard ones, so buy four for the right hand front door if that is where you concern is otherwise just buy one. It is simple to do. Just pop the top toggle secction of the switch out then remove the rubber bulb holder. The old bulb's wires are threaded through the rubber holder. Just pull them out. Then insert the new bulbs wires the same way as the old ones with a pair of tweezers. Reassemble and refit.

Any probs PM me.
Old 15-11-2007, 11:41 PM   #7
aufutura_bloke

kewl mate yeah its for the passenger side rear door. ford does not sell these bulbs seperately u have to buy a new switch which is $38.50

Web-Site:
Old 15-11-2007, 11:54 PM   #8
aufutura_bloke

for the passenger side rear door power window switch this bulb is for. pity i live in the country hard to get bulbs out ere

Web-Site:
Old 13-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #9
inventiv

Default Re: AU Falcon futura illumination power window switch

Has anyone had success finding these bulbs anywhere?

I'm reluctant to go to leds as I don't know a thing about electronics..

I took my switches apart for a clean recently - this is what the bulbs look like:

inventiv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #10
prn31

What you want is a "Grain of Wheat" bulb -seriously that is what they are called.

I tried Jaycar, but the only bulb they had had an insulated wire which won't work - I've tried.

I've purchased 3mm clear 14V grain of wheat bulbs with non-insulated wires off ebay out of China. 30 bulbs for A$10. (That means if you break one it doesn't matter...) I won't put the link in, but it isn't hard to find on ebay.

I could have gone with 12V but my auto electrician said 14V would be better. If you go with LEDs then you have to put in resisters, which I don't want to do.

I haven't received these bulbs yet, but hopefully I will be able to bend them into the little brown bulb carrier.
prn31 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #11
inventiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by prn31
I could have gone with 12V but my auto electrician said 14V would be better.
Damn, I should have checket that..

I found the same bulbs on eBay but I ordered the 12V ones. Any reason why the electrician said the 14V are better?
Old 20-09-2011, 02:29 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by inventiv
Damn, I should have checket that..

I found the same bulbs on eBay but I ordered the 12V ones. Any reason why the electrician said the 14V are better?
i`m guessing the 14 volt globes will last longer.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #13
inventiv

Oh ok, no worries.

I'm planning installing them this weekend (if they arrive by then) and posting a picture up with the results for those who are interested to know if they will work.
Old 22-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #14
prn31

I received my "grain of wheat" bulbs from China on Wednesday.

I replaced the lights yesterday as well as cleaning the window switch contacts.

Whilst I had a few issues at the beginning (doing this job at night is not recommended) I soon got the hang of it.

Result - all the switches light up and my windows work better!

Time taken - probably 2 to 3 hours. But the last switch I did took about 15 minutes.

Total cost - A$10 (for thirty globes including delivery to Sydney).

No need to buy new switches and it makes such a difference when driving at night...
prn31 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 09:21 PM   #15
inventiv

What prn31 says! I received mine from China today. I went with the 12V ones, they work fine as well:

A couple of notes for anyone looking at doing this:

- The bulbs I got were slightly larger than factory, but they work fine, and fit snug, you just need to squeeze them onto the brown rubber boots:

- When you try and place the blue sock back on the new bulbs, they don't cover the entire bulb:

- I installed the new bulbs both ways to begin with, to see which light would be better (with, or without blue socks):

The result of which was that the side with the socks on, gave a whiter light, whereas the side with no blue socks gave a warmer yellow light:

I personally liked the whiter light, so I put the blue socks on all of the bulbs.

So there you have it, these work for sure and you do get a whole bunch in the pack so if any of them go out you have spares! And they were 10bucks, and a mornings work. Beats going to the stealer and being told you need new window switches if you want your lights to work again...
Old 25-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #16
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

So there you have it, these work for sure and you do get a whole bunch in the pack so if any of them go out you have spares! And they were 10bucks, and a mornings work. Beats going to the stealer and being told you need new window switches if you want your lights to work again...[/QUOTE]

Looks good. well done

5.0L, 2.1l Kenne Bell, Tickford T3 Heads, Crow valve springs, YellaTerra 1.7 Rockers, Comp Cam, Comp D-Row Timing, 10mm LiveWire Leads, LC-1 & Moats Quarterhorse, B&M TransCooler, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, King Superlow Coil Springs, John Bowe Superlow Pro Leaf Springs, K&N 4" Pod & CAI, Pacemakers, 100c Cats, 2.5" Redback, 19" FPV Rims, BF-T Prem Brakes, TS50 Bumper with DTRL's, Custom FG Bulge, BA XR Side Skirts/Rear bar

Ford Performance Club of ACT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rayban76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2015, 03:24 PM   #17
Icepak
Starter Motor

Talking Re: AU Falcon futura illumination power window switch

I would like to thank everyone for their thread and add a few pictures as its often easier to see pictures. The job is quiet easy to do, just takes a bit of time and a pair of glasses to see better. I bought the Grain of wheat bulbs on ebay, 100 for $14. Please make sure they are non insulated. The wiring is wrapped around the rubber casing which is easily removed with a very fine flat head screw driver. Then just unfold it and reverse the procedure when putting on the new bulb. Works 100% and saves a lot of money. No need to buy a new switch just for a faulty bulb.
I also managed to change the lights switches which sit between the airvents and the radio which are LPG,Door locks, Wheel Traction etc. With this all you need is a small flat screw driver and pop this section out and the switches comes straight out. The lights come out by inserting the screwdriver and turning it anti clockwise then just unwind those lights and put the new ones. Gotta love Ford !!! The original lights on this is slightly smaller/Shorter (not as long as the original) but it fits and it works.

The link from ebay is this one:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100-pcs-3...item3a7b5ac148
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7624.jpg (134.2 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7626.jpg (118.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7631.jpg (120.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7639.jpg (153.7 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7645.jpg (152.8 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by Icepak; 16-04-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Icepak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2015, 03:36 PM   #18
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Nice writeup Icepak!