Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-03-2015, 12:18 AM   #1
imbhvn

Default Au series 3 Wont turn over!

Hey guys, got a series 3 au wagon, been restoring for 12+ months now, removed the engine and all engine bay parts to paint the engine bay...
Rebuilt engine while it was out.
Finally got it all back together and bolted up, went to turn the key to start but nothing happened?? fuel pump primes etc.
Put petrol into inlet manifold and bridged the starter motor and it fires straight up just wont turn over with the key?

Have checked all earths, plugs, relays, fuses etc!!!!

Is it possible that the key will have to be re programmed as the car sat so long with no battery?

All help is greatly appreciated!
imbhvn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2015, 04:46 AM   #2
12slots4ever

Default Re: Au series 3 Wont turn over!

My XR8 sat for 5 yrs,before I started her I put a drop of oil in each cylinder, replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, oil & oil filter. I didn't have to reprogram the push button pad, she just started. I have had her (XR8) for 13mths now and I love it, starts straight away every time, give her a boot full and she howles. Now she isn't anything special but she is a good looking car that has enough low down torque to make the family gasp and enough top end to keep me happy. Got a quote for a replacement key from Mr Minute, that came to $175/$195. Is your starter seized? Police everywhere yesterday, I wonder what today brings us?? Cheers George f
12slots4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

That was helpful....

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-03-2015, 11:15 AM   #4
Spurious

The key shouldn't need replacing. It is a chipped key & it contains exactly that, a microchip, that is checked by the ECM & the BEM on start up.
The remote is a separate entity, & the key has no battery!

It works as follows:
you can place ANY matching Ford key in the ignition & the engine might start, BUT then the ECM asks the BEM for the keys code. The code is checked against the BEMs recorded info & if they don't match the BEM tells the ECM to kill the engine. All this happens in the first few seconds of the engine starting up.

If you've torn down the entire contents of the engine bay then your issue is anyones guess, but no doubt the issue IS indeed in the engine bay.

So by default, start with the electronics under the bonnet.
Starter relay etc.
Fuses...?

If the engine runs then it's not a major fault, but you just have to find it!

Good luck.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2015, 11:43 AM   #5
12slots4ever

Just trying to help fellas!!
12slots4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2015, 11:57 AM   #6
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Have you checked your inhibitor switch (neutral safety switch) yet? I think you can put your ignition key in the ignition barrel for a hour with reds on so the bcm / smartsheild relearns the original key, that may work. Here's a link to a good thread on your subject, hope it helps -

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11291708

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2015, 12:04 PM   #7
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Try bridging the starter relay; that will at least help further isolate the issue to one side of the relay (starter motor or ignition key).