Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-03-2015, 01:35 PM   #1
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Default Question regarding battery

So with the new ute, I'm finding that it isn't starting on first kick. Usually starts on the second kick. Only once has it not started and I had to turn the key over again.

This is where I need some opinions and help.....

So, in order to eliminate issues with the charging system I've checked the charging system with the car running (at idle). result was 14.4 v. Then I checked the battery with the car off, and it was around 12.8 v.

Put the battery on a charger which has this rejuvenate function, which basically drains and rejuvenates first (takes an extra 24 hours).

Once the charger said that it was done, the battery was showing 12.97 v. Put it in the car and started the car, same thing second kick. With car idling output was showing 14.43v. Turned the car off and checked battery, 13.4 v and it was slowing dropping .01 volts at a time. So obviously losing charge.

Checked the battery this morning with the car sitting overnight and it came up as 12.45.

So my question is is the battery on the way out? Or is it an AU thing which starts on second kick? My option is to get another battery for $135 and just have that piece of mind that it is done.

Any suggestions?
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2015, 02:25 PM   #2
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Default Re: Question regarding battery

I would say the battery has had it especially if its losing voltage just sitting there.

I had my AU for 6 years and I replaced the battery once. Always started first go.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:38 PM   #3
Sam_Boss260

Yeah that is what I was thinking Axe. It just didn't make sense that each time I would check the battery, that I was getting a different reading, especially lower. But start the car, it sat steady. It only moved if you would draw more power, i.e. turn lights on etc.

Might just get a battery in case.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:41 PM   #4
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Swap the battery out with the one in your other car and see what happens, that will tell you
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
EASYBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2015, 04:16 PM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Once the charger said that it was done, the battery was showing 12.97 v. Put it in the car and started the car, same thing second kick. With car idling output was showing 14.43v. Turned the car off and checked battery, 13.4 v and it was slowing dropping .01 volts at a time. So obviously losing charge.
Yes, obviously losing charge, but this is how batteries work. If you go and buy a brand new quality battery, chuck it in, the alt will have it charging at about 14v, and then once off charge the voltage will gradually drift back to its resting point somewhere around 12.x volts.
Get yourself to a battery place (i see you're in brisbane, maybe comet at geebung?) and they'll be able to tell you how good the battery is. The 540CCA you think you have might be only around the 2-300CCA by now.

Voltage is only a slight indicator as to amperage. You can have a battery that rests all day at over 12v that can't turn a falcon over, and likewise you could have a battery that sits at 11.99v that'll turn a falcon over first time every time.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:43 PM   #6
Spurious

Question: Do you sit in the car with motor off & stereo on? Use power windows without motor on?

The power windows in my AU2 can kill my battery in 20 minutes if I use the windows too much with engine off.

My battery rests on 14V, 17V at idle
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2015, 05:24 PM   #7
Sam_Boss260

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlivverFord View Post
Question: Do you sit in the car with motor off & stereo on? Use power windows without motor on?

The power windows in my AU2 can kill my battery in 20 minutes if I use the windows too much with engine off.

No power windows and only got the car last week, so haven't been sitting in it with the stereo on.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:12 PM   #8
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
17v? Either your multimeter is defective or the voltage regulator of your alternator is shot. You should never see above 14.x V
2 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2015, 11:17 PM   #9
Drift77King
XR6 BF MK11

Get the battery tested at a tyre shop or battery place to see if the battery has lost CCA (cold cranking amps) and replace if needed.
Drift77King is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2015, 10:57 PM   #10
Spurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware View Post
17v? Either your multimeter is defective or the voltage regulator of your alternator is shot. You should never see above 14.x V
Hey, I was as shocked as you, but nothing untoward has come of it. At least I know it'll never go flat!!!

At least I'm aware of it.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2015, 11:21 PM   #11
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Um 17v get that fixed asap, 17v will result in electrolytic decomposition of the water in the battery acid - your battery will dry out and die quickly without careful maintenance but you probably have sealed battery. Worse, the electronics are not designed to withstand that much voltage so they will die quickly as well.

Lead Acid will charge between 2.1v - 2.45v per cell. You shouldnt exceed the 2.45 as the battery will also get warm as the internal resistance increases.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2015, 12:15 PM   #12
Mr Hardware

Quote:
At least I know it'll never go flat!!!
That's not how batteries work.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:32 AM   #13
Jarry
Going with the X-Flow

I usually call it a day and replace the battery once resting voltage consistently reads below 12.4v. You should be fine for a little while yet with 12.45v, but a load test is the only wat ti be certain, as per Mr. Hardware's suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260 View Post
So with the new ute, I'm finding that it isn't starting on first kick. Usually starts on the second kick

I'm curious, do you mean it cranks over but does not start first try?

If so I'd be suspecting a worn fuel pump. You can confirm by "priming" the fuel pump two or three times prior to cranking. I.e. Turn ignition to "on", pause for 3s, then off and repeatx2... then try and start.
Jarry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2015, 08:19 PM   #14
Sam_Boss260

Replaced the battery during the week, and now she fires up first go. Only thing I since and a while, I turn the key and light come on but nothing.... Check the see if it's in Park, then she starts first go. Could be the neutral switch. Need to check it out.
This user likes this post:
Old 12-03-2015, 03:21 PM   #15
Momo
Starter Motor

I had my park/neutral switch play up as well.
Momo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post