Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-01-2015, 11:10 PM   #1
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Upper engine cleaner and lpg

I want to run some upper engine cleaner through my old mans fg mk2 ecolpi is this stuff ok with lpg or is it only for petrol engine.
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2015, 12:06 AM   #2
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Upper engine cleaner and lpg

If you saw the state of the throttle body you' self for yourself there has been bad gas going around melbourne there is a lot of black carbon on and oily residue all over the manifold and back side of throttle body and the car has a rough idle now cause of this so we want to clean as best we can.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:41 AM   #3
ftssjk

Should be okay to run (but I'm no mechanic).

Are you gonna get the sea foam stuff or the subaru stuff?
ftssjk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2015, 03:45 AM   #4
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Sea foam or some temp [or permanent] water/ meth injection..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-01-2015, 01:24 PM   #5
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
Fair enough.

Which stations have been selling bad gas?
The local stations are mainly united and safeway(woolies) petrol for some reason the local bp and shell stations have been having gas shortages so maybe this has something to do with it.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:25 PM   #6
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftssjk View Post
Should be okay to run (but I'm no mechanic).

Are you gonna get the sea foam stuff or the subaru stuff?
I was gonna use the subaru stuff never heard of the sea foam

there's also stuff made by liqui-moly and CRC and others but haven't heard of any reports about them so will stick with the subaru stuff.

Last edited by Boza; 07-01-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:23 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

It should be fine, you're supposed to get the engine warm, spray 50% of the can through the vacuum line going into the inlet manifold, let it sit for about 5 minutes, then start the car which it'll cough and splutter and blow white smoke out the exhaust like the Beijing olympics on a carboned up car.

Then when it clears up with the car still idling spray the rest slowly down the intake manifold vacuum line but it might stall so it helps to have someone bringing up the revs.

Thats how I've done it anyway, or you can spray the first half of the can in the throttle body with the car off, which also works.

But being LPG it probably won't blow much smoke, but give it a crack anyway.

Nulon makes one of these products now too, I've used the Subaru and the Nulon stuff.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2015, 02:39 PM   #8
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boza View Post
If you saw the state of the throttle body you' self for yourself there has been bad gas going around melbourne there is a lot of black carbon on and oily residue all over the manifold and back side of throttle body and the car has a rough idle now cause of this so we want to clean as best we can.
I'd be looking at the engine oil used being the cause, coming into the tb via the crankcase ventilation system. Especially if mineral oil like Magnatec is being used for 10000 -15000 kms between oil changes.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2015, 02:51 PM   #9
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we use a full synthetic 5w-30 like the book says we use the penrite oil I have heard numerous reports from around melbourne about a particularly oily batch of gas going around something to do with refining process or something like that.

Also heard of a bloke with a nearly new diesel v8 cruiser that filled up at the local safeway where the old man fills up, he filled a full tank of diesel then went home parked the car went to start it the next day and the injector pump and injectors were all rooted from oily-watery diesel 14k of damage the servo coughed up after the fuel was tested.

Dunno if it's a coincidence or cost cutting on safeway's part but lately the fuel there is crap and I avoid them like the plague.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2015, 04:32 PM   #10
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Just don't overuse it or you risk killing the catalytic convertor.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:53 PM   #11
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You could get away with using some carby cleaner on your throttle body with the butterfly open and use an old toothbrush to scrub off residue instead of using combustion chamber cleaner.

A dedicated LPG engine like yours will have NO carbon at all on the pistons or combustion chamber.....Thats the beauty of LPG engines....They dont get carbon build up!

So really, chamber cleaner is not necassary or required and I doubt wether it will even clean your throttle body properly anyways.

Last edited by GASWAGON; 07-01-2015 at 07:09 PM.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2015, 12:23 PM   #12
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6WGN-LPG View Post
You could get away with using some carby cleaner on your throttle body with the butterfly open and use an old toothbrush to scrub off residue instead of using combustion chamber cleaner.

A dedicated LPG engine like yours will have NO carbon at all on the pistons or combustion chamber.....Thats the beauty of LPG engines....They dont get carbon build up!

So really, chamber cleaner is not necassary or required and I doubt wether it will even clean your throttle body properly anyways.
I have relo's in the taxi industry that have been running e-gas falcon's since they first appeared the gas these day's is horrible car's always suffer rough idle problem's from dirty throttle body's they also stall from bad gas I dunno what they put in to gas these days but if you saw the inside of a straight gas engine it's full of black carbon like crap.
We put an inspection camera into a e-gas engine that did 150k and it was horrible in there black stuf all over the back of the valves carbon looking deposits on the piston's.

I know alot of guy's that run straight gas on there clevo's and are all saying that they have had to pull timing out of there engines and can generally feel the difference in gas these day's and say they are having alot of problem's with oily gas.

Apparently since we started selling gas to the Chinese they get the good stuff to keep them happy and we leave the bottom of the barrel stuff for ourselves
Old 08-01-2015, 12:32 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

eGas Falcons seem to be very sensitive to fuel quality, mate has a BF eGas XR6 ute and you can really tell the difference between one fill to the next, even from the same servo.

Mind you he has been using Caltex servos so that wouldn't surprise me if they sell junk LPG.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post