Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-03-2008, 05:12 PM   #1
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 
Default AU3 XR8 won't start, any ideas...???

Started the car this morning as usual, drove about 5 metres then it stalled. Still had normal power to all the instruments. Turned key to off then tried to restart. Its like when you still have it in DRIVE and turn the key. Things i have tried so far- Shorting across the starter to the solenoid, it cranks but won't fire. Disconnecting battery for an hr to reset ecu. Has any one had the same problem. Thanks for any help you can give me.

P.S. The same thing happened as i was driving down the freeway a couple of weeks ago, I pulled over to the side, turned ign off and restarted it.

crakrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check fuses, and relays in engine bay.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

I've checked all the fuses, they are fine. I'm not sure how you check a relay- apart from seeing if it is burnt or has a burnt sort of smell to it.
Old 23-03-2008, 06:01 PM   #4
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had similar issues with mine, had a look at the relays, starter one from memory, swapped it with another one and started no probs so had to go out and buy one, $15 from ford.
You will also notice it clicking if its buggered, have a look, eliminate the easy stuff first.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2008, 06:32 PM   #5
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Have you got an aftermarket imobiliser at all????

I've seen issues with cars of those I know when the car stalls for no apparent reason. Then it cannot be started. Normally aftermarket imobilisers cut of the fuel and starter systems, and when they play up they cut the system off when you least expect it. If you have one, get it temporarily disconnected to see if it rules out the stalling.

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2008, 07:38 PM   #6
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

It only has the factory immobiliser. And I have swapped relays but to no avail. I even thought that the gear position switch on the auto might be locking it out. What do you think? It might just have to go on the tilt tray to G&D's on tuesday if I have no luck. I appreciate the advice and I'll keep trying.
Old 23-03-2008, 08:00 PM   #7
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What is the smartshield light doing?
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2008, 08:12 PM   #8
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Does it crank at all or is there nothing?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2008, 08:26 PM   #9
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

The smartshield light is flashing while ignition is off, it then goes out when key is turned to accessory, then stays illuminated while the ignition is on. The only difference in the instrument display when you turn the key to start is that the "(!)" light next to the smartshield light comes on. But this may be normal anyway, I haven't taken any notice before. And the only way I can describe what is actually happening is it's exactly like turning the key with the car still in drive. No dimming of lights or anything, no clicking etc, etc. Time to call the RACV. At least I won't have to fork out my hard earned for the tilt tray.
Old 23-03-2008, 08:39 PM   #10
WoodysXR6
Wanting a sprint!

this sounds stupid but hear it goes, how dirty is the battery terminals?
Old 23-03-2008, 08:54 PM   #11
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Thats not a silly suggestion at all. Sometimes they are the ones most often overlooked. Just not this time. The RACV just left, he believes that its the smartshield. Thanks for your suggestions, but for now, I think its time to break open another easter egg. Happy Easter.
Old 23-03-2008, 08:55 PM   #12
fordon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dodgey petrol maybe ........................... happening a bit these days.
fordon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2008, 09:06 PM   #13
burnz
VFII SS UTE

is the fuel pump working?
is it an auto (inhibitor switch)?
remote batt in key fob flat?
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2008, 09:09 PM   #14
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Checked the main engine relay, the big (white IIRC) one that is bolted in? I had mine blow once (don't ask) and it caused the same problem. RACV told me it was a smartshield problem too.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2008, 09:24 PM   #15
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I once had that problem in an old ED of mine. The fuse that controls the smartlock blew, which let it crank, but not fire. If thats the case, the real question would be why did the fuse blow in the first place?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 11:08 AM   #16
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

Mine did that this morning, got in turned the key & nothing. turned it off, tried again & nothing, did it again and it started & almost stalled. Its an auto. I have had the auto playup before, or at least the switch that makes it think its in drive, i just wiggle the auto a bit, or change into 1st then back up into park & it helps.
Could be anything though, ive never had mine stall on me before though when driving (apart from when I have basically ran out of fuel, you have checked that right???).
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #17
GhostClaw
Starter Motor

i have this exact same problem in my series 2 AU XR6...mines factory 5spd though ANY help is appreciated, im without a car til its fixed
ive done everything i can find online to try and resolve it but nothing worked
GhostClaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2014, 11:11 AM   #18
GhostClaw
Starter Motor

it wont crank at all with key, ive tried shorting the starter, it cranked but wouldnt fire, ive checked fuses, swapped relays around, all the "leave the key in the ignition for hrs" tricks etc etc
Old 18-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #19
GhostClaw
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakrz View Post
Started the car this morning as usual, drove about 5 metres then it stalled. Still had normal power to all the instruments. Turned key to off then tried to restart. Its like when you still have it in DRIVE and turn the key. Things i have tried so far- Shorting across the starter to the solenoid, it cranks but won't fire. Disconnecting battery for an hr to reset ecu. Has any one had the same problem. Thanks for any help you can give me.

P.S. The same thing happened as i was driving down the freeway a couple of weeks ago, I pulled over to the side, turned ign off and restarted it.
hey mate did you end up fixing this problem? what was the cause and how? mines recently started doing it and its ****ing me off lol
Old 18-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #20
james22
With da Warlords

Default Re: AU3 XR8 won't start, any ideas...???

Is your smartshield light active??? The hand (smartshield light) should turn off a few seconds after the ignition has been turned to ON

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2014, 09:03 AM   #21
GhostClaw
Starter Motor

its active yes, the light stays on when i go to start it, ive rung a locksmith and priced 2 new keys for $220
Old 20-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #22
james22
With da Warlords

Keys aren't gonna help ya... Gonna have to tow it to ford and get them to clear the smartshield system for you. Mine immobilised itself earlier this year, apparently trying to start them with a flat battery is a preety common cause for immobilisation

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 20-08-2014, 04:49 PM   #23
GhostClaw
Starter Motor

he can do that anyway lol
Old 20-08-2014, 04:51 PM   #24
james22
With da Warlords

Even better then lol :-)

No one around here can do that except ford.... Hate being in country sometimes :-)

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 20-08-2014, 04:54 PM   #25
GhostClaw
Starter Motor

mine wasnt flat, but the acid levels were non-existant lol
Old 20-08-2014, 04:54 PM   #26
GhostClaw
Starter Motor

lol newcastle rox XD
Old 23-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #27