Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
Kotche
Starter Motor

Default 99 Fairmont Aircon issue

Our A/C stopped working today, the vents just blow out 'normal' air.

Here is some information I think may be relevant:

• 99 AU Fairmont with climate control.
  • Compressor was replaced 4 or 5 years ago.
  • The whole climate control LCD has gone dull recently (almost impossible to read the temperature/kms left to the tank etc.)
  • The metal pipes going from the engine bay into the interior are ICE cold, ie ice is forming on the pipes when the car is running.
  • The R1 Relay in the insides fuse box is missing which according to the manual is for the A/C.
  • The heating aspect of the A/C has never worked although this doesn't bother me.

So from my very limited understanding I'm assuming that the compressor is working fine due to the ice on the pipes but the cold isn't being circulated into the air vents.

I find it odd that the R1 relay for the A/C is missing but I'm presuming it always has been or isn't required?

Given the information provided can anyone point me in the right direction?

Kotche is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
Kotche
Starter Motor

Default Re: 99 Fairmont Aircon issue

Further investigation tells me that the R1 Relay for the A/C isn't required on a Fairmont due to the climate control.

Apparently the frost on the aircon pipes isn't a good thing either and might indicate a blockage?
Old 06-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
Fantome

Having issues with A/C on my series II XR-8 ute as well (see my thread) so I've been searching these forums and in doing so may have also come across an answer to your query as well.

Get an A/C mechanic to check the TX valve, there is a mesh filter in there that may get blocked. The pipe will freeze before it but no cold air from the vents. You will need the A/c bloke because he will have to recover and then refill the gas.

Replacement valve about 12-15 dollars plus labour and gas, my fix was just a tad more serious and alot more expensive!
Fantome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-11-2013, 01:07 AM   #4
Kotche
Starter Motor

Thanks Fantome, appreciate your reply
Old 07-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotche View Post
Our A/C stopped working today, the vents just blow out 'normal' air.

Here is some information I think may be relevant:

• 99 AU Fairmont with climate control.
  • Compressor was replaced 4 or 5 years ago.
  • The whole climate control LCD has gone dull recently (almost impossible to read the temperature/kms left to the tank etc.)
  • The metal pipes going from the engine bay into the interior are ICE cold, ie ice is forming on the pipes when the car is running.
  • The R1 Relay in the insides fuse box is missing which according to the manual is for the A/C.
  • The heating aspect of the A/C has never worked although this doesn't bother me.

So from my very limited understanding I'm assuming that the compressor is working fine due to the ice on the pipes but the cold isn't being circulated into the air vents.

I find it odd that the R1 relay for the A/C is missing but I'm presuming it always has been or isn't required?

Given the information provided can anyone point me in the right direction?

Bummer of a time to fail with the hot weather starting up.

Cant help much with actual cooling problem, but the LCD going dull or off is a common fault and won't affect aircon performance.

There is a company in Melbourne that fixes the LCD for good from about $120.00

http://liquidxtal.com/index_ford.html
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2013, 04:37 AM   #6
peterljohnson55

I had my CC display repaired by the above company (per mif73) 3+ years ago and it has worked fine since. I paid for an exchange unit.
-------- Preventative Maintenance Policy --------
peterljohnson55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post