Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 31-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #31
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 
Default Re: Very few AU's on the road in 3 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional View Post
Hi, new member here.

I was interested to see a couple of people say the AU would outlast the BA models on the road.

Is this because the Au is a better car or just that more were sold?

I am trying to buy a cheap ute at the moment.

Given the choice between a 2000 model AU with 240,000km and a 2002 model BA with 290,000km in similar condition which would you choose?
I would choose the AU, in fact I traded a BA ute for a AU ute, and now I have 4 AU's.

Is the AU a better car? Not necessarily, but it does do some things better than the late model.

I prefer the AU for it's simplicity, mongrel, and styling.

The B series cars are more refined, and as a consequence more sterile feeling with less feedback.
An AU talks to the driver.

B series are also more complex, and as a consequence less reliable.

In many respects they're similar, and so they should be, but the drive is quite different, and it's the drive of an AU that I prefer.

Horses for course though, drive them both.
2 users like this post:
Old 31-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #32
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Well said (How goes your build?)
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #33
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Early BA's were dogs, they suffered from Ford bleeding cash and the EA syndrome of Ford rushing them to market and left it to customers to finish field testing. Mine is a 2004 and has all the running changes made over the course of the model and is tight as a drum, never let me down. The AU I had (SII 2000 model) now THAT was a dog of a car, the only redeeming feature about it was that it was cruisier to drive whereas the BA feels busier to drive.

But of course, neither example is indicative of the reliability of the model overall.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #34
Optional

Oh well, the deal is done. I just bought it.

Is this an AU I or II?

Paid $2200

Think it's a really good price.
Optional is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #35
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Funnily now most had noticed the thread which Falcon model has been the most reliable.
No 2nd guess's which model has been getting most mention - goes to prove many will still be running around in years to come I reckon.
You can't beat the fresh look of a new model no doubt about that but you can't beat a old model that has proven reliability and better finish quality at the time all round nuff said.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #36
SantoAU
Defender of the faith

I'm just starting to notice a few rust points popping up in my AU. If I can keep these to a minimum then I dare say this car will last for quite a few years yet. Motor and box are strong as an ox.

If I had my time again I would go AU again.

They just get reinvented.

SantoAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-11-2013, 02:40 AM   #37
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's no doubt some people will deem their trusty au limo to old and tired to refurbish for the cars value at its age, but they are a good car to drive, and easy to maintain, and there is still plenty of well kept unit s around, probably the buggered lower spec models will end up at the wreckers, but the well kept units and sought after models will be around for a long time to come imo.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post