Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-10-2013, 04:24 AM   #1
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Default Changing from a 220kph speedo to 240kph and cluster Q's!

Howdy all!

Ive searched but haven't found a straight answer...if i put an AUII XR cluster in an AUII Futura, will the car know it has a 240kph speedo and read correct (is auto calibrating) or will it act like it still has the 220 low series cluster and will need external calibrating by a pro?

Also, if a Fairmont cluster is used, is there a way to trick the cluster into thinking the doors are all closed? If one were to go a Fairmont cluster, one does not want the door icon flashing at me as i drive.

And lastly, who can alter the EEPROM memory on a cluster? If i change clusters id like to keep the original milage reading!

Thanks!

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Changing from a 220kph speedo to 240kph and cluster Q's!

yes the scale is compressed but the shorter movement increments are done inside the cluster . the XR cluster is far easier than the Fairmont one to change PM me with your email and I'll send you the document with all the pinouts. as far as the speedo reading is concerned there are only 2 ways as they are in reality tamper proof once the cluster goes over 100Ks even fords computer can't do it.
you can either find a cluster with similar Ks or unsolder the EEPROM from the old cluster and put it in the new one, not for the faint hearted it is a SMD and quite delicate

good luck

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Okay so to clarify, that means it'll work as it should as its done in the cluster?

I had thought about swapping EEPROMs but that could possibly go wrong very fast as im not a pro at soldering haha. Especialy given the cost of a high series cluster all being above $110. Didnt know they cant be changed after 100K!

What involved in getting a Fairmont cluster wired up?

PM sent!

Subaru Outback '02
Old 22-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that's correct it is all done in the cluster. wise move with the EEPROM I'm pretty good with an iron and I wouldn't attempt it without some very good equipment and a good magnifier ( my eyes aren't what they used to be) the Fairmont cluster should work fine just feed the door signal to all the appropriate inputs using diodes to avoid dramas, you could wire the boot and fuel up separately if you want
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
Okay so to clarify, that means it'll work as it should as its done in the cluster?

I had thought about swapping EEPROMs but that could possibly go wrong very fast as im not a pro at soldering haha. Especialy given the cost of a high series cluster all being above $110. Didnt know they cant be changed after 100K!

What involved in getting a Fairmont cluster wired up?

PM sent!

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 22-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

if you are swapping from forte[220kph] to xr series [240kph] all you need is the black speedo gear cog, if you don't the speedo will be out buy atleast 10-15kph.

cheers dean
BLU-220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV597 View Post
if you are swapping from forte[220kph] to xr series [240kph] all you need is the black speedo gear cog, if you don't the speedo will be out buy atleast 10-15kph.

cheers dean
Wrong the different speedo gear is related to diff ratio only the different speedos interpret the signal from the sender and display the speed appropriate for that cluster. there is no external differences. if you change the gear your speedo will be out

Rides:

This user likes this post:
Old 22-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

does it automatically pickup the extra gauges (oil pressure and volts?)
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
Wrong the different speedo gear is related to diff ratio only the different speedos interpret the signal from the sender and display the speed appropriate for that cluster. there is no external differences. if you change the gear your speedo will be out
well when i put in the t series cluster into my ghia [standard 3.23 diff gears, with 18" rims]all i did was install the black 23 tooth speedo gear and the speedo was spot on. when i first installed the cluster without the black gear the speedo was out by 10kph.

cheers dean
Old 22-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the oil pressure is really only a dummy gauge it reads 3/4 all the time unless you loose pressure it doesn't use a sender just a switch . this is only series 2 / 3 on series one it is a real gauge but they aren't interchangeable, I this found out the hard way. the volt meter just works straight off too, the only thing that is different is the 4 critical wires that need to be moved these cover 2 for dash illumination 1 for ABS light and 1 for the right blinker

Rides:

Old 22-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #10
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV597 View Post
well when i put in the t series cluster into my ghia [standard 3.23 diff gears, with 18" rims]all i did was install the black 23 tooth speedo gear and the speedo was spot on. when i first installed the cluster without the black gear the speedo was out by 10kph.

cheers dean
I think you were mistaken as I have researched this using a both a dyno and a GPS . I have done countless conversions and tested them all using a GPS before and after with no difference is reading.
When I did mine ( my first conversion on a SR I used to have) I tested it on a dyno to check speed indicated I then took it out and tested it with the GPS.

Rides:

Old 22-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

Quote:
I think you were mistaken as I have researched this using a both a dyno and a GPS . I have done countless conversions and tested them all using a GPS before and after with no difference is reading.
When I did mine ( my first conversion on a SR I used to have) I tested it on a dyno to check speed indicated I then took it out and tested it with the GPS.
so your saying that my speedo will be out then i have been past radars i even stop and ask one officier what my speedo reading was

Last edited by BLU-220; 22-10-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 22-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #12
rmack

Quote:
I am sure changing the speedo cog would change the displayed speed.
7" DVD/GPS Radio
19" Wheels

HIS
FG XR8 Ute
Lux Pack
Tech Pack
Touch Screen GPS
rmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #13
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes it will you only change the gear if you change ratios or over all wheel diameter I have a lot of documentation on it but too much to post up here
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmack View Post
I am sure changing the speedo cog would change the displayed speed.

Rides:

Old 23-10-2013, 02:04 AM   #14
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Thanks very much au3xr6! Received the email, it has been a good help!

Do you know how to hook up the individual door ajar thing? In the low series, the door ajar lights up with any door...can this be done with the Fairmont cluster? The wiring would already be there where the individual ones wouldnt be.
Wheres the switch that closes the circuit when you open a door? On most cars theres an obvious black "stick" that gets released when you open a door (lights on) and the stick gets pushed in when you close the door (lights off).
Is that switch inside the actuator in these?

Subaru Outback '02