Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 30-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Default TDCi - Air filter upgrade

My mate and I decided to try a cheap filter upgrade instead of paying the big bucks for a K&N kit. Because of the turbo we figured it should have more of a impact than it would on a petrol engine.

$24.99 and an hour later we were done.

Result: The engine has a much more bassy sound, almost exhaust like. Turbo whistle and pressure release sounds better and louder, car goes a bit better too. Also, the engine bay looks cooler

Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Is that by any chance a filter by 3A Racing? If so, they have one of the best pod filters on the market, and at a ridiculously cheap price!

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
Turbodiesel
Torquer

It's an "SCA" which I assume stands for "SuperCheap Auto" but the quality is remarkable for the price. Costs less than the smallest bit of silicon hose!
Old 30-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
elgreko

Did you have to cut the air box? Hows the performance?
Old 30-01-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreko
Did you have to cut the air box? Hows the performance?
No cutting, just left the top off it. Was even thinking about taking the bottom off as well but it might get dirtier that way. I didn't even need a reducer either, it just went straight on.

I have to drive it a bit more to notice any performance/fuel consumption figures but I'd say the engine is getting much more air and is definitely better off.

The best thing is the difference in sound, I had no idea it would make such a difference!
Old 30-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Sweet, I'm going to look into this.

How does the air filter fit into the intake tube? Just a clamp and the pipe goes around the filter element? I'm looking at replacing the entire tube and relocating the filter.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #7
DeKa

Aren't you now sucking in a gut full of hot air, which is the worst thing you can do given it is turbocharged?
DeKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2011, 11:27 PM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Looks like a nice setup. Will be collecting my Diesel Focus this Tuesday and my have my own tinker under the bonnet after a trip to Super Cheap.

Mine is red as well

Not to sound like a party pooper, but how will this effect warranty (if at all?) and for it to be legal wouldn't the air box need to be enclosed?
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2011, 12:07 AM   #9
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
How does the air filter fit into the intake tube? Just a clamp and the pipe goes around the filter element? I'm looking at replacing the entire tube and relocating the filter.
Yep, just clamps straight on out of the box provided it's the right size. The stock pipe to the turbo is pretty big so I don't think I'll change that yet.

There is acres of space to move it further below where it currently is but might be a bit more difficult.

Quote:
Aren't you now sucking in a gut full of hot air, which is the worst thing you can do given it is turbocharged?
With the stock filter tightly enclosed in that box I was surprised it was getting any air at all. Cool air is still coming from the front intake pipe and is then cooled further by the intercooler, not to mention the additional breeze from under the bonnet at speed.

Quote:
Not to sound like a party pooper, but how will this effect warranty (if at all?) and for it to be legal wouldn't the air box need to be enclosed?
Well I think it might affect the warranty but you can always change it back when you go for a service. My car is out of warranty, I never changed a thing until now.

I have no idea about legalities with air filters, but I imagine it wouldn't be an issue since CAIs are not enclosed. If anyone else can shed some light?
Old 06-07-2013, 02:11 AM   #10
arigold1974
Blue Oval *** life !

Default Re: TDCi - Air filter upgrade

Had any issues with this upgrade mate ?
arigold1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
Turbodiesel
Torquer

I didn't at the time, but as an open pod isn't exactly legal in NSW I upgraded to a K&N Apollo. Been using that for years.

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Old 23-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #12
elgreko

Is there a part Number? what do I ask for if I go to SCA??
Old 23-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

K&N Apollo. Part number: RC-5052AB
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #14
elgreko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel View Post
I didn't at the time, but as an open pod isn't exactly legal in NSW I upgraded to a K&N Apollo. Been using that for years.
Whats the performance like any changes??