Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 31-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Anyone in Sydney have an 09-10 Focus TDCi with the Powershift?

Morning all...

Still have an issue with my car and the 'normal' shudder at shut down that is far from normal....

There is never another Focus around at the service centre to compare cars.

So, anyone in Sydney got one?? Will want to take a video of your car starting and shutting down next to mine doing the same.

Ford CRC has been a great help, but they cannot 'see' the problem so I think the next step is to show them myself exactly what I'm on about.

Thank you,

Jason

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Anyone in Sydney have an 09-10 Focus TDCi with the Powershift?

Is this an issue with just the power shift cars? If you want I can get some videos of my car starting and turning off, but mine is a 6sp manual.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My manual TDci has a shudder at start up, but still didn't stop it overpowering but not ourcornering a Hyundai Veloster up an uphill twisty mountain rd the other day. The torque out of the corners just pulled him in every time despite the Focus TDCI wallowing like the pig they are as far as handling goes.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Is this an issue with just the power shift cars? If you want I can get some videos of my car starting and turning off, but mine is a 6sp manual.
Thanks Damo but my gripe with Ford is at first the vibration was a problem (and not ordinary) so they replaced the clutches. I have suspected it is not a gearbox problem the whole time.

Now that they changed the clutches and it still happens they have advised that my problem is totally normal and a characteristic of the car.

They cannot tell me why my car didn't do it for 3 years prior to it being in a certain dealerships hands...

I'm at my wits end with this. I really need a car to compare it to because I'm sick to death of this whole fiasco.

Just today it has broken down again and is undriveable, after being towed 2 weeks ago due to almost catching fire on the freeway.

I'm trying my best to look into this problem. It now seems there could be a pressure release system that vents the compression in the final stroke prior to it shutting down.

I'm over it to be honest.....

The request for a car to compare to mine still stands.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Thanks Damo but my gripe with Ford is at first the vibration was a problem (and not ordinary) so they replaced the clutches. I have suspected it is not a gearbox problem the whole time.

Now that they changed the clutches and it still happens they have advised that my problem is totally normal and a characteristic of the car.

They cannot tell me why my car didn't do it for 3 years prior to it being in a certain dealerships hands...

I'm at my wits end with this. I really need a car to compare it to because I'm sick to death of this whole fiasco.

Just today it has broken down again and is undriveable, after being towed 2 weeks ago due to almost catching fire on the freeway.

I'm trying my best to look into this problem. It now seems there could be a pressure release system that vents the compression in the final stroke prior to it shutting down.

I'm over it to be honest.....

The request for a car to compare to mine still stands.
Welcome to new Ford ownership, if you find a good dealership stick to them like **** to a blanket, mine only goes back for warranty work, Essendon Ford are fantastic.

What happened on the freeway? Did yours burst its injector return line like mine?
Old 05-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post

What happened on the freeway? Did yours burst its injector return line like mine?
I don't know to be honest Damo. I had just got the car back from a 2nd dealership who did the clutch job and drove it home. Did a few short trips then started it one morning to visit the parents 1hr away down the freeway.

Noticed I was trailing a thick plume of smoke. It was pretty thick and grey. It didn't look good at all so drove till there was a safe place to pull over and came to a stop watching the whole engine bay / front of the car covered in smoke.

Had a very heavy leak under the car which I assumed was tranny oil. Guy pulled up behind me saying my car was ****ing out fluid for some time and that I had cooked the engine... It wasn't coolant. What I thought was oil was actually diesel. The whole back of the car was covered in a thin film of it.

The service department told me that it was a return line for the diesel that came loose. They popped it back on and delivered the car back to me.

That was last week. Today I hopped on the freeway to visit some family and as soon as I pulled off I saw grey smoke rising from all the gaps in the bonnet and the same leak under my car.

Called the same place again. Advised me to leave it in a safe place and they will call me to send a guy out and replace the hose.

They have also said that this problem isn't normal, and that it seems to be caused by the work the previous dealer did...

I have removed the engine cover and sure enough the top end around the injectors is soaked in diesel.

When your hose burst, how did you know?? Did Ford just pop it back on or replace the hose??

Cheers,

Jason

Old 05-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I don't know to be honest Damo. I had just got the car back from a 2nd dealership who did the clutch job and drove it home. Did a few short trips then started it one morning to visit the parents 1hr away down the freeway.

Noticed I was trailing a thick plume of smoke. It was pretty thick and grey. It didn't look good at all so drove till there was a safe place to pull over and came to a stop watching the whole engine bay / front of the car covered in smoke.

Had a very heavy leak under the car which I assumed was tranny oil. Guy pulled up behind me saying my car was ****ing out fluid for some time and that I had cooked the engine... It wasn't coolant. What I thought was oil was actually diesel. The whole back of the car was covered in a thin film of it.

The service department told me that it was a return line for the diesel that came loose. They popped it back on and delivered the car back to me.

That was last week. Today I hopped on the freeway to visit some family and as soon as I pulled off I saw grey smoke rising from all the gaps in the bonnet and the same leak under my car.

Called the same place again. Advised me to leave it in a safe place and they will call me to send a guy out and replace the hose.

They have also said that this problem isn't normal, and that it seems to be caused by the work the previous dealer did...

I have removed the engine cover and sure enough the top end around the injectors is soaked in diesel.

When your hose burst, how did you know?? Did Ford just pop it back on or replace the hose??

Cheers,

Jason
Same problem as mine, I noticed a strong smell of diesel (fuel) inside the car when driving at low speeds, or when first getting in the car.

It wasn't a diesel burning smell, just the smell of it in its liquid form.

I opened the bonnet, took off the plastic cover and the valley around the injectors was completely soaked with diesel, and running down the front of the engine.

I probably drove it for around 100km with the smoke happening.

Eventually it started smoking from under the bonnet, visible smoke coming out.

It also split the 3rd injector seal, what was happening is that it was black smoke coming out the top of injector 3 and filling up the cabin with diesel fumes when driving along.

That was when I had the fight with another Ford dealership who just pressure washed the engine and gave it back to me, Essendon Ford replaced the whole injector return line, and it had to go back to the other dealership to replace the injector seal multiple times as Essendon Ford wouldn't cover it under warranty.

The injector return line gets very brittle from a lot of hot/cold cycles, must be cheap crap and eventually it breaks.