Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 26-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
kiwiinoz

Default 2013 Trend vs Golf vs Mazda 3 vs other stuff

Looking at buying a new car. My old Territory was written off a week ago as some fool ran into the front right wheel and caused 16K worth of damage so RACQ wrote it off. Keen on a Focus as we no longer really need the big car with 7 seats that drank like Amy WINEHOUSE.

Any advice re Focus. Looking at a Trend manual hatch. Found a nice candy red one new for under 20k. A few questions for you all, where are they made. The dealer we first looked at said Spain but i think it is Thailand, is that right?? Also, fuel economy. Any good?? RACQ gave us a Golf TSI for two weeks and I was well impressed with the car. Beautifully made and went well for a 1.4 turbo with 7 speed auto, really well but a tad pricey for me really.
To cut to the chase, any advice and ideas for me. Drove one today and was impressed, not blown away with performance but still very tight and new. Handled like a dream and although not as well finished as the Golf, still nice. Thanks in advance...

kiwiinoz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #2
Muttley098
Starter Motor

Default Re: 2013 Trend vs Golf vs Mazda 3 vs other stuff

Anything delivered into Australia from August 2012 is from Thailand (series = LW Mark 2), and was from Germany before that (LW). Never heard of them being made in Spain. Mine is a Thailand model (I think October 2012 build), and I'm very happy with the quality of it - doesn't feel cheaper than the German ones I test drove, panel fit and paint finish is excellent, no rattles. In fact the Thailand Ambientes and Trends get nicer-looking air-con dials and a centre console arm rest which the German low-end models didn't have. Some people (usually reviewers) complain there's too many buttons that are confusing etc but after a few days it all makes sense.

I've got the Powershift version, very happy with the transmission. Economy is excellent, getting 8.2 from busy, slow commute (avg 27kph) through a hilly part of Sydney, and have got down to 6.5 on a return trip from Sydney to the Blue Mountains.

I didn't test drive a Golf, as only the base model with DSG was at comparable price to the Focus Trend at the time and I had a budget to keep to. I did test the Mazda 3 Neo auto, like the interior/dash design but found it to be soul-less with a buzzy engine note and too-light steering. Tested a Focus 1.6 Powershift later the same day and was blown away by the driving experience even though it had less power. Went for the Trend to get the bigger engine, alloys and cruise, and I find the 2.0 is responsive enough for quick lane-changing in suburbia and zipping quickly up to motorway speeds.
Old 27-07-2013, 12:47 AM   #3
J.Molloy
Territorial

we went through the same thing not long ago, test drove mazda 3, focus, golf, impreza and swift. swift was fun felt like a go cart but in the end it came down to golf and focus.
Focus is superbly well setup suspension wise, handling was excellent but interior was behind compared to the golf.

we personally ended up with the golf, interior finish and quality was excellent, just a really nice place to be in.
We managed to pick one up with comfort and sports pack which included the upgraded media, screen etc.. but it also gave the stiffer suspension which makes it feel like it's on rails.
plus I've got a territory so anything was going to feel agile.

in the end it came down to the missus choice and she wanted the look and 'the badge' of the golf.
Old 27-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
kiwiinoz

Thanks men for your comments. Just enjoying the Golf at the moment but when i look at it bearing in mind the ULP in the Golf and the initial outlay of the Golf, i think we will end up with the Trend. Just up in the air and need to make a decision soon!! I notice that the Golf is just so well put together and made. I am hoping the Trend will be good. I dont expect it to be a flash as the Golf or should I?? The Trend I drove handled better than the GOlf i think but the economy of the Golf is amazing with over 700kms from the tank, nearer to 800 actually. WOnder what the Trend will do. Will go for manual (cost) unless i can find an auto at the dealer for a good price. WIll keep you informed. The Mazda is just as exciting as a Corolla or Lancer so it is down to the Focus or GOlf.
Old 27-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #5
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Motoring writers in Victoria say the golf is better than the focus especially the quality of the interior. But then they have given car of the year to such duds as the Leyland P76.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
Samurai_Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiinoz View Post
Thanks men for your comments. Just enjoying the Golf at the moment but when i look at it bearing in mind the ULP in the Golf and the initial outlay of the Golf, i think we will end up with the Trend. Just up in the air and need to make a decision soon!! I notice that the Golf is just so well put together and made. I am hoping the Trend will be good. I dont expect it to be a flash as the Golf or should I?? The Trend I drove handled better than the GOlf i think but the economy of the Golf is amazing with over 700kms from the tank, nearer to 800 actually. WOnder what the Trend will do. Will go for manual (cost) unless i can find an auto at the dealer for a good price. WIll keep you informed. The Mazda is just as exciting as a Corolla or Lancer so it is down to the Focus or GOlf.
Have you thought about a pre owned Mk1 Sport? I know that there are a lot going around for the low 20's.. I bought my 2011 Mk1 Sport Sedan with power-shift and navigation for 22k a few months ago, with only about 30k on the clock...
Samurai_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

The general consensus in the media is that the Focus is the next best thing after the Golf, and that's not an insult.

As of LW MkII, Focus has ben imported from Thailand.

This concerned us initially, but we're very impressed with the fit and finish (inside and out) and the execution of the styling (inside and out) of the Mrs' Titanium. Good visibility all round, *great* NVH, great handling/road holding/power. Economy is around 8 litres per hunge ATM (2.0 auto) but the car's only a month old and does mostly bumper to bumper work. The tech inside the car is amazing, it's like the starship Enterprise...we discover new things every week. Space is a little tight in the front, but from the rear through to the hatch area it's gargantuan. The little things, like ambient lighting in the centre console, foot wells, door handles are a treat.

The Sport gets a lot of the Titanium's features (arguably all the most useful ones) If you like the Focus Sport, and it's within your price range, I see no reason why you wouldn't buy one.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
kiwiinoz

Well, yesterday (Saturday) I proudly brought a Trend manual in winning blue. Really looking forward to delivery on Tuesday. Couldnt stretch to the S and at under $20k, couldnt resist the Trend!! Will keep you informed as to economy...go the mighty blue oval!!!
This user likes this post:
Old 28-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley098 View Post
Anything delivered into Australia from August 2012 is from Thailand (series = LW Mark 2), and was from Germany before that (LW).
ST is still German built.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #10
Muttley098
Starter Motor

Good point, forgot about the ST...