Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-03-2008, 06:42 PM   #61
sanjay

noone can tell me how i cut a perfect little notch in a spare screwdriver like some of you guys have?
Old 27-03-2008, 10:21 PM   #62
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

I modified the screw driver i had with a hack saw and a grinder (should have used bench grinder). Worked well enough.

Hacksaw to cut the notch, grinder to take it out and start again when the prongs broke.

Worst case if your stuck and can't make one, you can have mine. I replaced my bolts with allen keys so i don't need to driver any more.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2008, 11:28 PM   #63
sanjay

superroo, i would love yours, if you can post it to me i would be happy to pay postage + a nominal fee

will be getting some allen key bolts to jam in there once im done dont you worry
Old 27-03-2008, 11:39 PM   #64
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Repco wanted to charge me around $40 for the set of 5 star bits, but that didn't happen, I only paid $18.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2008, 11:43 PM   #65
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Pay postage and that will be fine. PM me your details, i'll send it, then we can sort it out from there.

The only thing is what JC said, the prongs on the home made screwdriver notch like to break off. I had to modify mine 3/4 time to get the bolts out and back in a few times before i swapped the bolt type. But it's latest incarnation seams to hold up better

But if you have mine then at least you know what you've got to make.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2008, 12:47 AM   #66
sanjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthAu
Repco wanted to charge me around $40 for the set of 5 star bits, but that didn't happen, I only paid $18.
yeah the dude said $18 for just the one bit i needed

then said

oh wait, gotta order it in specially, which means itll cost you $30

umm no.

superroo i will PM you my details and be SUPER careful with the screwdriver
Old 28-03-2008, 08:22 AM   #67
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjay
yeah the dude said $18 for just the one bit i needed

then said

oh wait, gotta order it in specially, which means itll cost you $30

umm no.

superroo i will PM you my details and be SUPER careful with the screwdriver
$18 got me a set of 5 and they also had to be ordered in.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2008, 01:32 PM   #68
sanjay

meh, well motor traders had the same set on the shelf, $38 including GST.
Old 31-03-2008, 01:14 AM   #69
sanjay

superroo can you reply to my PM with your bank details so i can pay for the postage please?
Old 07-04-2008, 07:54 PM   #70
sanjay

FINALLY got my wheel changed over today.

bit the bullet and paid the $38 to get the set of 5 star secure torx bits when coventry fasteners fu(ked me around by saying they got the bit in then saying they couldnt find it when i got there.

the brand new wheel feels fantastic. installation was straightforward but unlike in GK's tutorial, there were three screws as well as the big torx screw holding the wheel in, one at the bottom of the plastic shroud as well with a cable attached to it. i therefore had to take that cable out too in order to get the airbag up above the column. but apart from that it was great, very helpful. couldnt have done it without you :p

superroo, thankyou for sending that screwdriver but it broke as soon as i tried to untighten the bolt. oh well!

replaced those godawful secure bits with some allen key bolts (M6 x 25mm, perfect) in case i ever want to change my wheel again.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:54 PM   #71
FTe_XR8
formerly "3x-puursui7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
You don't need to disconnect the battery to do this - just remove the airbag fuse. I have replaced around 10 EF/EL/AU1/AU2 steering wheels just removing the fuse (and one where I forgot), and the airbag didn't go off. Other than that, the rest of the above should help - screwdriver blade with a notch is my original method!
i've removed my original airbag a few times to change wheel/ steering column plastics + volume controls and just yesterday changed it to a black airbag to match the steering wheel never disconnected the battery/fuse never had a prob, also changed the passenger one to black.

p.s get the matching momo shifter looks the goods!

http://www.aufalcon.com.au/3x-puursui7
FTe_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #72
5L
[ 5L ]

im just doing this now to put my momo wheel on, i just have to wait till my gf gets back home so i can go back to the shops and get a 6 sided size 50, ive only got up to size 40. tryed using a flathead screw driver that fits but damn that centre bolt is tight as.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2008, 12:07 AM   #73
T-Pak Addict
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXR8220
im just doing this now to put my momo wheel on, i just have to wait till my gf gets back home so i can go back to the shops and get a 6 sided size 50, ive only got up to size 40. tryed using a flathead screw driver that fits but damn that centre bolt is tight as.

I have one shane, pity your so far away

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2008, 05:15 AM   #74
5L
[ 5L ]

thats ok jim im suppose to be getting sanjay's gear.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #75
Jan
Starter Motor

Lightbulb Re: Replace steering wheel on AU Falcon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjay View Post
can anyone tell me where im meant to get one of these 5 sided star bits?

and if i remove my battery terminals, the stereo is going to ask me for a code when i connect it back up, isnt it (its an AU2 stereo for some reason, and chances of me getting the code for it are zilch since it isnt factory)
Hello,We recently needed that very same tool and after searching local stores no luck but then I found this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290935064...84.m1439.l2649
This is actually sold as being specifically for fords .Cost me $20.00
Hope this helps
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post