Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-01-2011, 11:25 AM   #31
Dusty1
Giddy up!

A lot of this stuff you can't see, so it's trust.
I'm not going to give money over for something I can't see, and I don't think it does much.
I paid for leather protection ($500 or so) don't think it did anything. My car hasn't got paint protection, and it's going well, but it is garaged most of the time.
My BA Futura was a dealer demo, and I put on 175K in 4.5 years, and there was no paint/fabric protection on that. Gave it a polish and a clean when I returned it, looks good for the kms on it.
I've got an order in now for a new Mondeo Titanium wagon, and it's not getting this stuff done to it.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2011, 05:18 PM   #32
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

As others have already mentioned, you'll be better served avoiding the 'paint protection' and getting the car professionally detailed. FWIW, most cars will actually roll out of the showroom / car-yard with some form of paint defects - a lot of dealers use a product called 'cherry glaze' - it is a very heavy filling product.

Looks great for a week after you've bought it, and then it washes away and you see why you should let a detailer maintain your cars paintwork.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #33
xr8daz

Even more of a rippoff if you work at a ford dealer thats takes the money for it and doesnt apply it!!!!
xr8daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #34
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8daz
Even more of a rippoff if you work at a ford dealer thats takes the money for it and doesnt apply it!!!!
That is quite bad.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #35
xr8daz

mate , i could tell you stuff that goes on that would blow your mind!!!
xr8daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2011, 07:59 AM   #36
munners

Once i decided to buy, the salesman said.

"Great, now I'll just introduce you to Jemma, she's one of our customer laison team and she will help you get the most out of your new car ownership experience...."

Um, ok.....(in my head. Dear Playboy, Im sure you hear this a lot but I swear every word is true....)

So off to token hotties office, sit down, relax and she offers me a coffee and says.

"I want you to get the most out of this. Have you considered protection?"

Me (Scooby Doo style) "Huh!!!???"

"We have a full range of paint, underboady and interior protection systems?"

"oh"

I asked this simple question.

"I might be interested, but what will happen to my $50,000 car if i don't buy the paint protection?"

Answer.

"Well nothing sir, we have very high quality paint, rest assured our paint is the equal of anything in the world. And our interior fabrics are hardwearing and long lasting"

"Well on that basis then I think I'll give it a miss then. Thanks anyway"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150gk
The smiley face and helpful attitude soon vanishes to a cranky hard salesperson with a mouth like a cats bum...
I didn't even get to finish my coffee!!!!!

Munners
munners is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #37
interesting77
Starter Motor

Default Re: Ext/Int Protection Package - Is It Worth It?

Hey guys- realise this post is a little old now but would like to add my 2 cents. I work in the industry and can say in all honesty that it works and its worth every cent. Yes, you may be able to apply similiar products yourself but what happens when a bat rips through the paint work? Or coastal ( like I do) and the paint starts to oxidise? Im sure there are dealers who are shonky with their warranties but the company I work for is amazing with following through with exactly what we promised. Like in everything you buy there is a reason for the price difference between competitors- if tint a car can really do the same thing for $800 as we sell for $2500 then how the bloody hell does there remain a need for dealers to provide this? And dont bother with the " good looking chick cons poor unsuspecting people" crap because 90% of people are not that stupid ( and should not be driving a car at all if they are)- ring tint a car and ask about their "lifetime warranty"- ask what is covered? At the end of the day its kind of like insurance BUT in this case if you never make a claim its because the products are doing exactly what we said they would? Yes? Fusion is the only product I know well and it works- has anyone on here had it and reckons it doesnt? Or had a claim that was knocked back?
interesting77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #38
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

This industry has been full of rogues for many years. I've been around too long not to trust anyone anymore on things you cant readily see has been done properly. Fusion may be a good product that works well, but do you apply the products yourself, or let contractors do it? How do you know it is applied properly in all cases?

I know first hand from many years ago, immediately after purchasing my first new car I was quite naive (easy prey) when the ming mole explained that I just had to buy her package to care for my new purchase. Then later finding that the bonnet, maybe the roof was done but the sides were not. Never again.

Edit: This thread was a few years ago on this subject

Last edited by Silver Ghia; 21-08-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #39
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

They tried to get me with that when I first bought my car, they got the saleswoman (notice the woman part) to flirt with me and try get $3000 out of me for paint protection, tint etc.

I had made up my mind on the no part, but I let them demonstrate it to me anyway and took them along for the ride, lol.

Then a few weeks later I totalled the car, and had to do the walk of shame through the dealership.

She had the last laugh :'(

Other than that, nah I wouldn't option it up, do the stuff yourself and learn something in the process
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #40
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't...just don't.

The paint on Falcons is so thin it isn't funny, but the paint protection they use doesn't seem to do anything...at least at our dealership it didn't. I spent up big on a quality washing mitten, Maguires wash and polishes, and polishing cloths.

I'm taking it to a detailer soon to ask if they can buff it up to get rid of the millions of swirl marks and hundreds of scratches despite how careful I've tried to be with it. I've heard there's a really good treatment they can put on that takes a couple of days to "set" and it protects well.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2012, 11:58 PM   #41
mash85

i used to work at a dealer and organised to get paint protection done to a mates car for a slab.

the truth is, and most people seem aware of this already, the aftermarket girls are there just to inject profit back into the deal that the salesperson has just murdered the price on to get the deal done.

each protection product is different, mostly in the warranty they offer. thats really what youre buying. read and understand what it covers before commiting to this stuff.

paint protection felt nice, made the cars feel like glass at the place i worked. dont know how long that will last though. the point is, the warranty coverage was pretty good with it, thats what people were paying for.
mash85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #42
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash85
paint protection felt nice, made the cars feel like glass at the place i worked. dont know how long that will last though. the point is, the warranty coverage was pretty good with it, thats what people were paying for.
The one time I got it applied many years ago I got screwed as I didn't purchase the wildly overpriced soap that had to be exclusively used in order to maintain warranty ($50 a bottle which was good for about 5 washes, apparently). The paint protection failed to be paint protection within 3 months after the application so I'd done my cash.

This wasn't explained to me by the ming mole and the soap was never offered for sale the whole time. I had to have read it in the documentation and send away for it. So if you do go this route, read the fine print.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post