Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #61
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Aussie Made Valiants

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
318s and 360s are fine. 340s had some nicer bits as standard but easy grunt is had cheaply by mixing and matching bits and pieces from this 'LA' series of engine, which includes the 273.

For instance take a 318, get a 360 crank from the wreckers for stuff all, turn its journals down to the smaller 273/318/340 size, and voila your 318 along with a .030 bore clean up is now a 355. Take the ductile iron adjustable rockers from the 273, mill them a little to reduce their weight and you have fully adjustable valve gear for a mechanical cam if you want to go wild etc. I have done this before in my youth, actually the first car I did this with was my first car, a VK 770 Charger that also ended up with disc brake 9" and manual valve body 727 etc.

The Pacer I have now was a 340, but is now 408 with stroker kit etc.

All the engines are rippers and have huge potential, event the Aussie spec 340 was a slug the likes of 350 Monaros and all GT Falcons bar HO, and all Toranas like A9X etc. were all slugs as standard. And all slower than a modern day ECO LPI FG Falcon. Don't let the fog of distance past cloud the judgement just how much of a slow dog all these cars were in stock trim. The only quick Aussie cars of the 70s were E49, E38 and PH II, PH III Ho. Everything else was sleds, Holden never made anything remotely fast in stock trim (I have all mags from era and all tests and acceleration times etc. and everything else were complete dogs in stock trim and not in a same leage as HO and Sixpack Chargers. Actually, even 245 Hemi Pacers with single carb' could blow the doors off a 350 Monaro. Best engine overall of the era however in stock trim was undoubtedly the E49 spec' sixpack, the Webers gave it huge torque and a true Euro thoroughbred sort of feel.
Single 2 bbl carby on the VG Pacer could even hose of a LJ XU-1 but Pacer top end was only around 115 MPH and stock HQ 308 monaro can do 125 MPH.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #62
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm looking to a stoker for the 318 in my Plymouth fury .. Just to keep the numbers all original.

I've owned a AP6 which had both a 273 and 318 in it .. But my favorite smallblock mopar was the polyhead 318 in my 65 Phoenix .. Seemed to have a LOT more grunt than its LA equivalent?

.. Then I also had 383 and 440s in hardtop Phoenix which was fun ..

But there will always be a special place in my heart for the 265 .. Even a stocky with all the rattles, etc would just get up and boogie with ease. In my VG coupe and VH Charger I would challenge all comers!! . [ I was a lot younger and stoopider then ]
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #63
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Weren't VG Pacers equipped with an AVS 4 Barrel, rather than a single or 2 barrel carb?

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #64
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Weren't VG Pacers equipped with an AVS 4 Barrel, rather than a single or 2 barrel carb?
E35 (I think?) had either AVS or an AFB sitting sideways on a long runner manifold .. Supposedly had issues because of it being sideways ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #65
blownvn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only the E35 and E34 Pacers had the four barrel, and yeah they had issues. The Two Barrel Pacers were more successful.

I was out in the shed today swapping heads around on my VG Pacer Wagon replica. Everything is so simple on these old Mopars.
blownvn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #66
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-E
I also owned an original RT E37 Bathurst Charger with the 6 pack and 35 gallon tank (paid $3000 in 1991).
i bet you wished you still had that.
Old 29-02-2012, 02:41 AM   #67
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I own an FG, XR6, ute, aluminium tray, LSD. the 245, 18's, EBA, EBD, + whatever. I still think that my younger Bro's 265 Charger (3sp man, Holley 500, extractors, split to two exhausts), would beat me....period.
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #68
Pis-ton broke
Banned

those slant sixes were know as a very relieable and tough engine, I did hear of a damaged engine block on one and the people kept on driving it. The joke in the day was that they stopped making them cause they were to good.

from memory you could put a 245 head on a 265 block and use an use a 350 Holley etc. for extra go, sorry young fellas no chips back then. Did anyone try this or similar?

those 265 Centuras were fast.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #69
68xt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS50
There was a Hemi 215??
I can only remember the 245 and 265, not disputing it, just was not aware
Where were CL's exported too?
The slants stopped here did they not with the introduction of the VG? which if i remember right was about 1970?

yep they made the 215.

there is also a 245 industrial motor which has really thick bore walls and steel cranks. these are in high demand as they are great for boring out and stroking etc.
68xt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #70
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

I had a T04 Garett hanging off a 265 in a CL charger in the late 80's early 90's,
the days before intercooling I used to run water/metho injection.

I have had some pretty quick cars over the years, lets say this thing was insane for it's time.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:32 AM   #71
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke
those slant sixes were know as a very relieable and tough engine, I did hear of a damaged engine block on one and the people kept on driving it. The joke in the day was that they stopped making them cause they were to good.

from memory you could put a 245 head on a 265 block and use an use a 350 Holley etc. for extra go, sorry young fellas no chips back then. Did anyone try this or similar?

those 265 Centuras were fast.

Slanties were only stopped being produced about 10 years ago (Don't quote that number, but wasn't that long ago in the scheme of things)

They reckon using a 265 head on a 265 block was better.

Any 6 cyl Cenny was fast. They did test a Centura back in the day, with a 265 fitted and the test driver said no way to making them available to the general public. The 245 being fitted was iffy but it went ahead anyways.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 01-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #72
blownvn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Slanties were only stopped being produced about 10 years ago (Don't quote that number, but wasn't that long ago in the scheme of things)

They reckon using a 265 head on a 265 block was better.

Any 6 cyl Cenny was fast. They did test a Centura back in the day, with a 265 fitted and the test driver said no way to making them available to the general public. The 245 being fitted was iffy but it went ahead anyways.

In cars they stopped using them in the early 80s (in the US), but according to Wiki they made them up until 2000, which I think is pretty amazing.

And I agree the 265 head is better. I've been told for years, use a 245 head and fit 265 valves for higher comp. Trouble was that between the years when they stopped making super and started making hi octane unleaded you couldn't use the higher comp and hemis are susceptible to pre-ignition. I've use 265 heads on 245 and had a performance gain - they're just a better flowing head in my opinion. One day I might do a test. I've got a std 245 and 265 heads, plus I've got ported 265 heads and even a 245 head with 265 valves. Might make for an eye opener.

You're right about the Centura, they were a handful with any hemi. We used to buy them for $1000 and fit std 265's and go out hunting SLR5000 Toranas and stuff. A std SLR5000 had no hope against a 265-powered Centura. Horribly light over the rear though and very easy to get out of shape.
But the 265 Centura was a totally legal conversion under NSW rules. It fit under the 15% capacity rule so all you had to do was get a blue slip for the new engine number and you were good to go.

I remember my mate bought a 265-powered Centura for $1200 or so once, came with a shift kitted auto and ran mid-14s easy as ****. This was back in the early 90s, before turbo BA's and all that. Great value for money.
blownvn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #73
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownvn
In cars they stopped using them in the early 80s (in the US), but according to Wiki they made them up until 2000, which I think is pretty amazing.

And I agree the 265 head is better. I've been told for years, use a 245 head and fit 265 valves for higher comp. Trouble was that between the years when they stopped making super and started making hi octane unleaded you couldn't use the higher comp and hemis are susceptible to pre-ignition. I've use 265 heads on 245 and had a performance gain - they're just a better flowing head in my opinion. One day I might do a test. I've got a std 245 and 265 heads, plus I've got ported 265 heads and even a 245 head with 265 valves. Might make for an eye opener.

You're right about the Centura, they were a handful with any hemi. We used to buy them for $1000 and fit std 265's and go out hunting SLR5000 Toranas and stuff. A std SLR5000 had no hope against a 265-powered Centura. Horribly light over the rear though and very easy to get out of shape.
But the 265 Centura was a totally legal conversion under NSW rules. It fit under the 15% capacity rule so all you had to do was get a blue slip for the new engine number and you were good to go.

I remember my mate bought a 265-powered Centura for $1200 or so once, came with a shift kitted auto and ran mid-14s easy as ****. This was back in the early 90s, before turbo BA's and all that. Great value for money.

I personally have a stock 265 powered Cenny and know how much of a handful they are. Very very tail happy when prompted. I get knuckle heads trying to run me, but I just leave the tossers go. I've got nothing to prove.

As for the head side of things. I'd have to speak with a few good mates over the head swap side of things, but I'm fairly confident you're correct saying the 265 head on the 245 is the right way to go for performance.

The ol' slantie. Yep, bloody amazing how long they were made for. Glad you found when the production stopped, as I wasn't too sure.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #74
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownvn

The 245 head and 265 it would depend on what you want from the engine as to why you would go put a 245 on a 265. the 265 has a bit bigger ports i think. you may want to have a look see.

The 245 hemi in the Dodge trucks maybe a 265 block with only a 245 bore but the crank is not forged steel it's just like the E49 crank.

A mate had a VG hardtop pacer he put the 4 barrel on it back in 1980 but he went back to the 2 bbl as he said it performed better with it.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #75
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan
The 245 hemi in the Dodge trucks maybe a 265 block with only a 245 bore but the crank is not forged steel it's just like the E49 crank.

265 and 245 blocks are 2 seperate blocks. You can't safely bore a 245 to come upto a 265, nor can you destroke a 265 to a 245.

Just for some useless info, the cranks stroke is identical from the 215 through to the 265.

I believe the truck blocks have thicker walls and steel crank. But I won't swear by that.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #76
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A 245 head on a 265 will raise the compression to give more hp, you can also over-bore the 265 by .90 thou to 4" bore and use Ford,Holden or Chev pistons which are cheaper than 265/318 pistons.
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #77
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by noosacuda
A 245 head on a 265 will raise the compression to give more hp, you can also over-bore the 265 by .90 thou to 4" bore and use Ford,Holden or Chev pistons which are cheaper than 265/318 pistons.

Holden or Chev pistons....Not Ford ones. You've also got to "play" round in the gudgeon area.

IMA, it's best to re-sleeve the block before going this far, considering the blocks are at least 30 years old.

IMA, got all this sort of info saved up on my computer, as I'm planning this very thing.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #78
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
265 and 245 blocks are 2 seperate blocks. You can't safely bore a 245 to come upto a 265, nor can you destroke a 265 to a 245.

Just for some useless info, the cranks stroke is identical from the 215 through to the 265.

I believe the truck blocks have thicker walls and steel crank. But I won't swear by that.
Yes they are different blocks but how do you say that the 245 truck motor has thicker bores, this is were i think they maybe just like the 265 block but when casting they made it to take 245 pistons, so you could maybe bore a truck 245 ot as far as a 265 ?
The 215, 245, 265 block is the same overall size it is just the bore casting that differ.
There is only one crank in the hemi and it is how they treat the finished product, never could it be a forged crank because of the cost involved to go through doing all that.

There is some that believe that the blocks are made out of a bit different casting metal in the slant 6 truck and maybe the truck 245 hemi. as are some truck V8 and some chev motors are the same. look at the gen3 in trucks they use cast iron blocks never alloy.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #79
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan
Yes they are different blocks but how do you say that the 245 truck motor has thicker bores, this is were i think they maybe just like the 265 block but when casting they made it to take 245 pistons, so you could maybe bore a truck 245 ot as far as a 265 ?
The 215, 245, 265 block is the same overall size it is just the bore casting that differ.
There is only one crank in the hemi and it is how they treat the finished product, never could it be a forged crank because of the cost involved to go through doing all that.

There is some that believe that the blocks are made out of a bit different casting metal in the slant 6 truck and maybe the truck 245 hemi. as are some truck V8 and some chev motors are the same. look at the gen3 in trucks they use cast iron blocks never alloy.

As I mentioned, I'm not 100% sure over truck blocks. I'm going from memory and all I do remember is, you can't interchange from a 245 and 265, piston wise.

A good place for info on this stuff is hemi6pack.com. What those blokes don't know, ain't work knowing.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #80
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also http://www.moparmarketforum.com/forum/index.php I think 327 Chev pistons? Comes out to 278ci ?
Old 10-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #81
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Also http://www.moparmarketforum.com/forum/index.php I think 327 Chev pistons? Comes out to 278ci ?

Not sure on capacity, but your right with pistons.

List of pistons known to be used fo a 4"bore
318 (Jeep mopar ones)

Old 11-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #82
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sure on Jeep Mopar? LA 318's are 3.91". Regardless you can over-bore and get healthy HP from a 265 Hemi! I'm into big blocks myself.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #83
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Sure on Jeep Mopar? LA 318's are 3.91". Regardless you can over-bore and get healthy HP from a 265 Hemi! I'm into big blocks myself.

Here's an extract from the info I obtained.

Quote...

the jeep/mopar 318 pistons in Hyperutectic cast from Speedpro fit if you get the rod small ends done
they come standard 0.010 .020 .030 .040 etc
its a forged rod and chrylser australia were bloody good at making sure they got the small end hole in the middle of the small end so even with their fat pin you still have more meat in the small end than the average chev

you will end up with a piston that sits anything for 5-50 thou above deck depending on how much has been shaved off before...

50 is an issue that can be overcome with a 40 thou gasket and if need be a shave of the outer 2 mm of the crown.

Unquote

Personally I can't see them working, so when it comes to the 4 inch bore I'll be doing, I'm going to use the chev option.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #84
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

318s are indeed nowhere near a 4" bore, thus impossible to use 4" pistons.
Old 13-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #85
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

guys I was just on Ozrodders and saw this link in the for sale section

http://www.ozrodders.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=9&t=48641

if any ones interested knock your selfs silly

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #86
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

I didn't read a lot of this but, I thought you guys obviously liking Valiants of some sort might be interested in my brothers Valiant, not for sale, but it's his pride and joy and thought I'd share.

It's got a 483 Big Block (I believe), supercharged, only running 4psi, but can run around 14-16psi, only making about 400HP at the wheels at the moment because he needs to stick a 3" exhaust on it, it's running 2.5" Qauds, and has a new computer and tuning to go into it, looking around 600-700HP once done.

Unfortunately I didn't have enough room in the shed to get a full picture of it.

Not much just yet but it's only a start.
XR6Naranja is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post