Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
RustyXBcoupe
Bush Mechanic

Default GTHO prices

Just looking on carsales there is a phase 3 HO for $325k
Not long ago a bloke my mate works with up here in Toowoomba had one in a shipping container in original condition and a couple blokes from Melbourne got wind of it and came up to make an offer. They ended up taking it home for $125k.
Over the last seven years I have been overseas and only home every couple of years but I can remember around '08 '09 seeing Phase 3s for sale for not far off a million.
Have prices come down or does it just fluctuate do to condition or are some people just asking crazy prices?
Still makes you think that for $325k a Phase 3 might make for a better investment than a house...

RustyXBcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: GTHO prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyXBcoupe
Just looking on carsales there is a phase 3 HO for $325k
Not long ago a bloke my mate works with up here in Toowoomba had one in a shipping container in original condition and a couple blokes from Melbourne got wind of it and came up to make an offer. They ended up taking it home for $125k.
Over the last seven years I have been overseas and only home every couple of years but I can remember around '08 '09 seeing Phase 3s for sale for not far off a million.
Have prices come down or does it just fluctuate do to condition or are some people just asking crazy prices?
Still makes you think that for $325k a Phase 3 might make for a better investment than a house...
You can't live in a GTHO.

You will not get finance to buy a GTHO unless you have a LOT of assets and even then it will be something like 10% so $30k++ per year in interest which in 10 years will mean it owes you $600k++ which will be a problem if it is only worth $500k.
A house bought here 10 years ago for $225k was worth $900k 2 years ago but is now only worth $550k (tax free) but is already going back up.

If you finance it commercially you will have to pay tax on the profit, if not you can't claim the interest.

If you live in a house it makes little difference, if you drive the GTHO it will depreciate at a huge rate.

So:

Plan A, buy a $325k house for about $600 a week, live in it and make a reasonable profit.
Plan B, buy a $325k GTHO for $600 per week interest only, rent a house and hope and pray the price increases faster than you investment.......

Of course if you have the cash just buy it....but then if you had the cash why would you be asking on here.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

Swap "might" for "won't" in the last sentence. I've been a car nut all my life and estate agent for most of it, and have seen all the cycles over the last few decades for both, including the recession we had to have. Luxury items such as collectable cars will always be speculative for future growth and value. Not meaning to rain on your parade Rusty, just passing you an umbrella.
Old 18-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
RustyXBcoupe
Bush Mechanic

Ha ha for sure. Ill definately be buying another house before I buy a collectors car. Just dreaming out load! The main body of the thread was just to discuss the prices of HOs though not discuss the investment qualities of luxury items versus real estate. Last line was just an offhanded comment...
RustyXBcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just the overall muscle car market. Its on the way down.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #6
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith
Maybe
But cars ,are like houses they are only a loss if you sell them at a loss
That being said, the blokes who paid the big bikkies for the P3 years ago , are maybe the bloke/blokes who didnt pay their creditors, and help squash the little company, or maybe he,she,they had the money in hand after selling that mansion and making a quid or two or four and buying something they longed all their life
If i had 300K , in this economical uncertainty we have at the moment, theres no way id be buying a P3 or any collector car
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #7
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I THINK some potential sellers where jumping the prices up !!!
Like 700k offers refused !!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
GT-E

I am sure that some people had a lump sum in their Self Managed Super Funds and used this money to buy P3's as an investment. The ATO now does not allow these "risky" investments as they can be volatile. Many of the nostalgic baby boomers are now regretting their as a lot of the hype has gone out of the car investment market. While the P3 is a lovely car it is not worth $500k+, no matter how rare it is, as there are many better investments. If you have the cash and the love to own one, then pay whatever you want, its your money.
Old 18-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #9
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really wonder if anyone did pay $500k plus for them?

Dont you think most likely it was just creative accounting amongst mates/businessmen?

Ie: My business is going bad quick, I'll buy your GTHO p3 (really worth $200k) for $750k. Wink wink, pay me back later ;-0 Then the new GTHO p3 owner goes bankrupt.

Thats how its done.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2012, 05:31 AM   #10
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One idiot paid $863,000.00 back in 2008 . Since then the prices have started to to return to normality , they still have a way to go however . The inflated prices were indeed a manipulation by existing owners back in that heady era of a few years back .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #11
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i wouldn't buy a car unless i could take it for a drive... but most GTHO are probably garage queens now.
Old 19-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #12
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
i wouldn't buy a car unless i could take it for a drive... but most GTHO are probably garage queens now.
Funny really,

Heres a car that was designed to race and have its rings absolutely flogged
Now there worth that much people are scared to even look at them
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #13
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
Funny really,

Heres a car that was designed to race and have its rings absolutely flogged
Now there worth that much people are scared to even look at them
At last years all Ford day at Eastern Creek a few of the GT owners bitched and whinged and bellyached because they had to drive their cars on , heaven forbid , dew covered grass as they decided to sleep in and expected that everyone would just wait and or move to let them drive down on the main straight . Gorgeous cars sadly owned in the majority by a bunch of xxxxbags these days .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #14
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
Gorgeous cars sadly owned in the majority by a bunch of xxxxbags these days .
How may Phase 3 owners do you know?

Just want to know because they have been classed as "****bags"

Please share
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #15
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I wander if price depreciation can be claimed as tax deduction ???
Company car or super ???
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #16
peterhellmann
Starter Motor

What a bargain!
peterhellmann is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #17
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
I'd say there is a reason why most GT-HO are garage queens...

Every time they get taken out... it is a ********* magnet... If you were going to take a HO for a drive - just make sure you don't stop!!!!

Armchair Experts who will tell you everything about the cars - despite them learning things from websites and other knowalls - and never owning a car like that...
Champion Restorers who will tell you that the spoiler is the wrong way, the rear-view mirror is upside down, or that shaker is the 'Mustang' one....
Chatterboxes who's uncle's sister's brother's father's neighbour's cousin had a GT-HO in the shed - but doesn't have it now... It was fully original with 12 slotters and it was blue... no wait... red...
Droolers who will touch the car all over - despite the fact that you may well have original paint or paid a considerable amount of money for a resto... interestingly you don't REALLY need to touch anywhere on a car exterior except for door handles
Then there is the question askers.... Is It Original??? What does that question even mean?? "Nah this one was a Monaro mate - had it converted in 1985" Do they want to know which parts of the car are from 1971, or which parts were painfully sourced OEM New/Old stock? Or the parts that were replaced with aftermarket because they simply couldn't be found?

Hang on a minute - was only going for a leisurely drive in a car... and you have all of the above to deal with (plus more!!!)

I'd have mine in the garage too...
Old 19-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #18
HSVKILLA
moonlight rider

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-424241432.htm
HSVKILLA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #19
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVKILLA

so about AUD $ 380k .

A very nice example with the original plates
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #20
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVKILLA
Pretty sure this car has been reshelled and is a bone of contention at the moment...

The reshell issue may have even been on AFF, but I have definitely read about it. If I find the article I'll link it.
Old 19-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #21
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith
Bloody oath they are! I have been watching Monaros too. There was an HG 350 GTS (original matching numbers, great condition - not mint, but very very good) that was sold for 43k this week. The guy had a buy it now price of $45k on it on eBay.

I saw an HK 327 Bathurst Monaro (again, original, clean as a whistle) go for $135k.

A mate of my GF sold his immaculate concourse rebuilt HT GTS 350 Bathurst spec for under $150k - it was the first off the production line too. That car would have fetche close to 250k 3 years ago.

Sorry to drag Holden into this, but it helps to see that muscle cars as a whole are being forced down.

Interestingly I would say that Ford is holding its value better.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 12:32 AM   #22
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
I'd say there is a reason why most GT-HO are garage queens...

Every time they get taken out... it is a ********* magnet... If you were going to take a HO for a drive - just make sure you don't stop!!!!

Armchair Experts who will tell you everything about the cars - despite them learning things from websites and other knowalls - and never owning a car like that...
Champion Restorers who will tell you that the spoiler is the wrong way, the rear-view mirror is upside down, or that shaker is the 'Mustang' one....
Chatterboxes who's uncle's sister's brother's father's neighbour's cousin had a GT-HO in the shed - but doesn't have it now... It was fully original with 12 slotters and it was blue... no wait... red...
Droolers who will touch the car all over - despite the fact that you may well have original paint or paid a considerable amount of money for a resto... interestingly you don't REALLY need to touch anywhere on a car exterior except for door handles
Then there is the question askers.... Is It Original??? What does that question even mean?? "Nah this one was a Monaro mate - had it converted in 1985" Do they want to know which parts of the car are from 1971, or which parts were painfully sourced OEM New/Old stock? Or the parts that were replaced with aftermarket because they simply couldn't be found?

Hang on a minute - was only going for a leisurely drive in a car... and you have all of the above to deal with (plus more!!!)

I'd have mine in the garage too...

I drive mine everytime i get the chance, to put up with the above, i call mine, wait for it.... a replica!
Done, no need for anymore chatter.... weeeeeeeeeeeeee!

As for those who class original GT owners in the xxxxbag brigade, i suggest you go to Valla when the next meet is on at the end of the year.... some very nice, original, non trophy chasing groovers.

Hoo Roo!!!!!
reef green xwgt falcon
lime green HT GTS Monaro 308 4 speed
reef green ZC Fairlane black interior
conordec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 12:47 AM   #23
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by conordec
I drive mine everytime i get the chance, to put up with the above, i call mine, wait for it.... a replica!

As for those who class original GT owners in the xxxxbag brigade, i suggest you go to Valla when the next meet is on at the end of the year.... some very nice, original, non trophy chasing groovers.

Hoo Roo!!!!!
It might be a replica but the CD play in the glovebox is an original factory option
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 12:54 AM   #24
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I remember reading a thread about GTHO's from ages ago. Only just found it as it has been moved to Memory Lane.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=60655

Read away to your hearts content. This issue gets raised so often on here and always ends up the same way...someone agreeing and others disagreeing ad infinitum
Old 20-01-2012, 01:14 AM   #25
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
It might be a replica but the CD play in the glovebox is an original factory option
hahahah.... flappist!
i'll be back in Hervey Bay at Easter.... give me a wave if you see my "replica"

mick
reef green xwgt falcon
lime green HT GTS Monaro 308 4 speed
reef green ZC Fairlane black interior
conordec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #26
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by conordec

Hoo Roo!!!!!
Yeah I do the same although it's an XB, especailly if it's guys from the GT club, so they don't worry about picking it to bits.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post