Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #121
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Model building - a childhood past time??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
There are some great models in this thread. Good job everyone.

It inspired me to go searching for my old models that had been stored for at about 10 years.
I was bit annoyed when I found them though. I found two and they were not stored properly :( .
The box I had them stored in has shifted it's contents which has squashed my models.

They were covered in cocky poo (little mongrels!). I think they have eaten some of the paint and decals as well. They chowed into the intake trumpets !

The wheels are stuffed !

The Ducati is looking sad !

They were built about 15 years ago. (The last time I made a model)

I did find this though which I now plan to build

Thanks for the inspiration to do something I haven't done for ages !
Being Tamiya models, you won't have any problems at all sourcing new spares. Any model shop...even just plain old Toyworld...should have a Tamiya catalogue, and you can order all sorts of spare parts and replacement stuff, especially for thier very popular F1 range of cars. You can even get modifcation bits like new wheels, decal sets, drivers, pit crew, tools and garage equipment, etc. Just ask at the counter and they should be able to show you the catalogue.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #122
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

Hey Chopped,

thinking about your Ferrari - I think the best way to go would be to build a couple of new models first, then track down the same kit and use the old one for parts where needed. The reason I say that is you'll pay a pretty penny for individual spares I would say and they will take forever. I think you can order them from Hobbylink Japan as well.

I found one on eBay, brand new ex-Japan for $28 delivered.

The other thing I would consider is that you can get a set of mechanics in the same scale as the cars, so you could build a new kit, and then 'recycle' the old one for a spare engine, etc and make the old one look like a spare chassis sitting in the workshop, and use the mechanic to make a diorama.

The other alrternative is to buy any of the tamiya f1 kits of the same vintage - The tyres look the worst effected in the photos, and any of those old kits would have the same tyres that you used all those years ago. If you get a Ferrari, you'll also have spares. The beauty is you don't have to get the bits today or tomorrow - wait and see what comes up if you are dead keen to restore your model.

cheers
Envi XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #123
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
The Wright Flier must have been a nightmare to build...all those spindly struts and braces and wires...well done!
The hard bit was the cross cabling which was just done with string.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #124
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Great thread, here a couple of my cars which I made about 10 years ago, started of making trucks as a kid and loved it but havent had much time now.

SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #125
Flogginit

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
Actually there's not a lot of kids doing model building these days. the majority are grey haired fat guys like me.

Bloody Hell whered you get the Charger? My mates been trying to get one for years
Flogginit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #126
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heres one I prepared earlier , this is the famous Lotus 49 as it appeared in 1967 for the Dutch Grand Prix . Debut of the Lotus 49 , the Ford DFV and Clark won the race .

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...%20Lotus%2049/
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #127
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVNM
Great thread, here a couple of my cars which I made about 10 years ago, started of making trucks as a kid and loved it but havent had much time now.
those are awesome builds mate. Love the wiring on the vette.

Cheers
Envi XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #128
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envi XR8
Hey Chopped,

thinking about your Ferrari - I think the best way to go would be to build a couple of new models first, then track down the same kit and use the old one for parts where needed. The reason I say that is you'll pay a pretty penny for individual spares I would say and they will take forever. I think you can order them from Hobbylink Japan as well.

I found one on eBay, brand new ex-Japan for $28 delivered.

The other thing I would consider is that you can get a set of mechanics in the same scale as the cars, so you could build a new kit, and then 'recycle' the old one for a spare engine, etc and make the old one look like a spare chassis sitting in the workshop, and use the mechanic to make a diorama.

The other alrternative is to buy any of the tamiya f1 kits of the same vintage - The tyres look the worst effected in the photos, and any of those old kits would have the same tyres that you used all those years ago. If you get a Ferrari, you'll also have spares. The beauty is you don't have to get the bits today or tomorrow - wait and see what comes up if you are dead keen to restore your model.

cheers
Seems it's best just to go for the whole kits.
I've just placed some bids on Ebay (fingers crossed).
The MP4/6 McLaren and another Ferrari (both old vers. full orig. kits).

I'm trying really hard not to bid on the JPS lotus & Lotus 49 too!!.

Edit : you're not helping me Wronwaynorris !! (nice model)
Old 05-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #129
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow, SVTVNM your '57 Chev and the Corvette are very well done indeed. Great idea with the wiring!

Here's two I still have and that are still in one piece. They've held up well (besides the dust) considering I assembled them 9 years ago now.

macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #130
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
Heres one I prepared earlier , this is the famous Lotus 49 as it appeared in 1967 for the Dutch Grand Prix . Debut of the Lotus 49 , the Ford DFV and Clark won the race .

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...%20Lotus%2049/
looks great, is that the 1/12 tamia kit??

my dad has done a few of the big Lotus F1 kits. I managed to get the Lotus 49B for him for christmas.

Heres a pic of his ones

Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #131
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Awesome work, guys.

I've built a few cars over the years, but I was more into WW2 planes and sci-fi subjects.

Here's a 1/72-scale Star Wars hangar diorama I built into a bookcase over 10 years ago. Apologies for the crappy scanned pics - this was before digital cameras were cheap and easily acquired.

The ships were all modified MPC/Ertl kits. Some of the ground equipment was Hasegawa, the rest was scratch-built. Figures were Preiser.

Unfortunately the diorama no longer exists. I dismantled it and sold the models before I moved to Australia 8 years ago.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #132
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flogginit
Bloody Hell whered you get the Charger? My mates been trying to get one for years
The Charger is a 1/24 diecast model from TRAX
www.topgear.com.au
(look under 'superscale'). i got this one from ebay for 100 (list price is 160) and redid the stripes to make the car from the movie 'Suburban Mayhem'.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #133
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Okay, so here we go.

Picked this up at Toyworld, and no doubt paid a premium, but I wanted to guage the kids interest.

First cab off the rank.

And the modeller!
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 12:38 AM   #134
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Hahaha - LOVING it!!! Looks like the lad did as well.
Now to get him modeling away & be sure to post up the results.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 05:59 AM   #135
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
Okay, so here we go.

Picked this up at Toyworld, and no doubt paid a premium, but I wanted to guage the kids interest.

First cab off the rank.

And the modeller!
Holy snapping duck doo doos Batman , you sure did pay a premuim $ 41.00 . But good on you , surely that look on your sons face makes it woth every cent .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #136
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

We will sit down and make a start tonight. I also picked up a glue together (this one is a snap together unit) for my 12 yo girl to have a try.

I need to find a better supplier, perhaps a model shop happy to post at a reasonable price.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #137
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
We will sit down and make a start tonight. I also picked up a glue together (this one is a snap together unit) for my 12 yo girl to have a try.

I need to find a better supplier, perhaps a model shop happy to post at a reasonable price.
Try these guys, their in Japan but very good.

http://www.hlj.com/top/Aut
Old 09-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #138
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

CRIKEY!!! - didn't even notice the price til now. For that sort of price, I'd almost be willing to head into Sydney(Hobbyco) or Newcastle(Frontline) & hand pick / send you the kit(s) myself. Of course both these two companies are in Aus, online, & do mailout...
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #139
satria
FOXWHO

nice models everyone, keep posting the pics and it may motivate me to finish my Mustang GT350 Hertz
satria is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #140
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

This is an amazing build. 1:200 Roma scratch built out of wood. Not a car but amazing craftsmanship.

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum...p?f=75&t=65397
Old 17-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #141
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Being Tamiya models, you won't have any problems at all sourcing new spares. Any model shop...even just plain old Toyworld...should have a Tamiya catalogue, and you can order all sorts of spare parts and replacement stuff, especially for thier very popular F1 range of cars. You can even get modifcation bits like new wheels, decal sets, drivers, pit crew, tools and garage equipment, etc. Just ask at the counter and they should be able to show you the catalogue.
Actually those Tamiya spares are for the RC cars, not their model cars.
Old 17-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #142
yanknbank
Very regular

Thanks for the memories. I havn't built a plastic kit in probably 30 years, but I used to get a lot of enjoyment out of it.
Used to have squadrons of Spitfires and Messerschmitts chasing each other around the bedroom (not to mention the P38's, P40's, P47's, P51's, F6F's, F4U's, Fw190's, Tempests and the rest of them).
A couple of pics of some kits that I've got left over from that long ago that are now gathering dust and more than likely will never finish.

Back end of a Tamiya 1/12 Lotus 78. Back in their day, these were fabulous kits.

Airfix 1/24 Stuka, again fantastic kits back in the late seventies.

I nearly bought a 1/32 Tamiya Spitfire Mk.VIII recently. Couldn't get over how well engineered the kit was and the breadth of the detail, compared to the old Revell 1/32 scale kits from the late sixties, early seventies.
I've also been looking at the 1/24 Airfix Mosquito. Just might have to nick out and....
Old 19-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #143
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

for those who collect boats, sorry should be in the joke (?) section

Man rang his local Model shop and asked if they had a model of the Costa Concordia - Yes, they said. Great he replied I'll come and collect it later - could you put it on one side for me?
Old 19-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #144
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz
for those who collect boats, sorry should be in the joke (?) section

Man rang his local Model shop and asked if they had a model of the Costa Concordia - Yes, they said. Great he replied I'll come and collect it later - could you put it on one side for me?
Hahahaha awesome