Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-09-2011, 07:41 PM   #61
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Default Re: Carbon fibre wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
A passenger doesn't add to the rotational mass that the engine has to drive directly.

I think there is some sort of rule that 1kg of rotational mass is really equal to more than that in reality, ie. the wheel may weigh 10 kg but the extra work the engine needs to do means its more like it weighs double. I can't give you the exact science of it and I couldn't be bothered researching it so you'll need to do that yourself if you want to.

And a 100kg passenger would increase fuel consumption, every article you read on how to improve economy says reduce the weight of your vehicle by removing unnessesary items from the car.
That damn freeloading passenger is costing me MORE money.
Just don't tell her.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #62
scj429
Falcon 500

You can buy Carbon Fibre rims for a motorbike and they are priced from around $3300 USD per rim and weigh 2.1 kgs. Make your scooter change direction by just thinking about it and I presume there would be similar benefits when fitting them to a car.
scj429 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2011, 08:25 PM   #63
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

would be strange on a motobike to have really light rims when cornering and hitting slippery spots. With normal bikes when jumping or losing a bit of control the rotation (gyroscopic) force keeps you upright. With out that i think it would be a lot easier to fall off!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #64
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
I think there is some sort of rule that 1kg of rotational mass is really equal to more than that in reality, ie. the wheel may weigh 10 kg but the extra work the engine needs to do means its more like it weighs double. I can't give you the exact science of it and I couldn't be bothered researching it so you'll need to do that yourself if you want to.

And a 100kg passenger would increase fuel consumption, every article you read on how to improve economy says reduce the weight of your vehicle by removing unnessesary items from the car.
The only rule is that it takes half as much energy again to have a wheel spin at the rate required to match its linear speed(speed along the road way) compared to the energy required to just change the linear speed of the same mass, ie total energy = 3/4 mv^2

Last edited by sudszy; 04-09-2011 at 09:34 PM.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #65
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
The only rule is that it takes half as much energy again to have a wheel spin at the rate required to match its linear speed(speed along the road way) compared to the energy required to just change the linear speed of the same mass, ie total energy = 3/4 mv^2
un fortunatly we don't live in space, gravity kills inertia..
no road is flat!

a young fella banged he's head on an apple and yelled what the F=MA
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #66
IDT
Marko

Carbon Fibre Wheels PLEEEEEEAAAAASSSSSEEE!!!!
They wont sell because they complicate what is otherwise a simple item.
It's a WHEEL! Round thing that rolls back and forth!!!!!! BIG DEAL!!!!

This is seriously one of those lets use technology "because we can!" jobs.

Reminds me of those tiny mobile phones! Do the rims come with tracking devices? Do they come in 3D? Perhaps modems so you can skype your granny anywhere in the world on your iphone23. Maybe every mile you drive on them reduces global warming by 0.000000000000006gms per cubic meter of air.

Rant over ;-) Time for a lie down
Old 06-09-2011, 10:24 PM   #67
Supercharged

Everyone is going on about the fuel savings of carbon fibre wheels what about the handling improvements as a result of reduced unstrung weight.

And remember: Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - meat pie in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
Supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 01:10 AM   #68
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged
Everyone is going on about the fuel savings of carbon fibre wheels what about the handling improvements as a result of reduced unstrung weight.
Very true, it shouldn't have gotten sidetracked like it did.

The performance gains are well worthy of consideration to whoever is half serious about extra performance.

Weight saving over the standard 19" FPVs is at least 34kg all round. That, in terms of raw weight taken from the car a very big number as it's not that easy to remove weight from a vehicle without compromise.

Then, as you mention, the unsprung weight allows the suspension components to work a lot better, but I wonder if there needs to be adjustments made to spring and shock rates to utilise the full advantage of the lost weight.

And last but not least, there's the inertia, like the lightened flywheel effect if you like. So much less mass to turn amounts in a fair bit more power at the wheels.

So with at least 3 different aspects there's nothing but win for this modification.

They don't look bad either and that can't be said about many of the aftermarket atrocities out there.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:34 AM   #69
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Thumbs up Re: Carbon fibre wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
And last but not least, there's the inertia, like the lightened flywheel effect OR Underdrives if you like. So much less mass to turn amounts in a fair bit more power at the wheels.
Sorry mate ,couldn't resist
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 02:04 AM   #70
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace
Sorry mate ,couldn't resist
I can get more gain than those by using lighter wheels studs

/where's Gregory... he'll hit the rev limiter if he reads that
Old 07-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #71
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Very true, it shouldn't have gotten sidetracked like it did.
Hardly sidetracked when that was the key thing mentioned by the OP.

I dont have any problems with claims for better handling.

Quote:
http://carbonrev.com/index.html

This is something that I have taken in interest in, Carbon Fibre wheels developed here in Australia, with Carbon Revolution working in conjuction with Deakin University here in Geelong.

This will be the next big thing in fuel economy. They are claiming something like a 7-8 % reduction in fuel consumption with these wheels. They will soon be building a factory here with production expected to reach 50,000 sets in its first year. They have had significant interest from a number of European manufacturers and look like being a success story.

Good to see an Aussie company doing good.
Quote:
Then, as you mention, the unsprung weight allows the suspension components to work a lot better, but I wonder if there needs to be adjustments made to spring and shock rates to utilise the full advantage of the lost weight.
Yes, springs and shockers are tuned to the mass of the wheel, especially important for corrugations, though less mass will probably be an improvement in most systems without adjustment.
Quote:
And last but not least, there's the inertia, like the lightened flywheel effect if you like. So much less mass to turn amounts in a fair bit more power at the wheels.
Since the change in mass is unsprung,the improvements in handling/suspension performance occurs for exactly the same reason the car can accelerate faster, less inertia both linear and rotational. The power at the wheels would remain near identical, as could be measured on a dyno.

Last edited by sudszy; 07-09-2011 at 09:07 AM.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #72
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:
I can get more gain than those by using lighter wheels studs

Funny you say that, several people have suggested I change to titanium wheel nuts over the last couple of years to reduce unsprung mass. hahahaha, bang for buck, NOT!

I personally find the concept of Carbon wheels for everyday use laughable, a proper race car, I see the application, but on a road car. Please.

Gutter rash, impact damage, dirt / gravel roads, stones. Yeh right.

My wife would destroy some carbon wheels the first time she reverse parked.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.

Last edited by tex; 07-09-2011 at 09:52 AM.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #73
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I just got some tyres pulled off some 19" wheels today so I thought I would weigh them when I got home. They weighed 11.9kg each for a stock 19x7.5 Mazda CX7 wheel. Admittedly they are only 7.5" wide but how much weight would another inch of width add? 1-2kg at the most?

So from the figures quoted above, the carbon fibre 19x8.5 wheels (5.6kg each) would see a weight reduction of 25.6kg from the stock 19x7.5 wheels.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post