Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Default The Mount Glorious Monster.

Some say the Monster turned up at around the same time as the CBR 750, others say it was later around the time the Suzie 1300 Katana hit the road.

In any event the Monster, known to some as 'Glory', has been taking people with some regularity. He mostly works the western fall where there are some really good switch backs, esses and some evil 9% grades....... They said he came out under the the guard rails and took them, some said he waited in the trees just the other side of the guard rails and took them as they slid underneath. This theory went to hell when they put up a guard rail
under the other one to stop the Monster taking people.

They tried their best I suppose, reduced the speed limit, they had the Traffic lads on bikes up there time after time; it didn't stop 'Glory', he kept on taking them, any time, the dark did not stop him nor the western sun.

I was driving up Mount Glorious today to visit some relatives on the other side; as I swept round the left hander the picnic ground came into view. I knew the Monster had been out this morning.... There in the picnic ground was the EMQ chopper, its main set winding down, a couple of Ambulances, the Fire Brigade and all the attendants.
A kilometer or so further on, just over the creek at the bottom of the Mountain was all the evidence of the Monster's handiwork, a couple of stopped vehicles, a cop car and there just ahead the sharp right hander, the bike on it's side, the stark sandstone wall.....
As I eased passed, there at the bike where all the usual signs of the Monster's work; the scuff marks in the gravel, the twisted parts of the bike up against the wall, all ol' Glory's work again....

As I wound up towards the top another ambulance came down the 9%er, one of two on the way down from the top. I started thinking about all the times over 15 years I'd been there, mostly just after the Monster came out of the Mountain to take another.......He rarely wounded those he took, maimed many he did......killed many more.

As I sat on a Samford verandah and hour later I heard the EMQ chopper lifting up from the western side of the Mountain, The Monster, 'Glory', had taken another...

So for those of you who ride the Glory Road, searching for power and thrills,
take care on the guard rails, there's a Monster lurking there..........He'll take you; if he can............

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The Mount Glorious Monster.

I like that,pity about those who don't heed the monsters call.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #3
fasty73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What state and area is this monster lurking. I want to pay heed to this warning as I love a Sunday ride on my fzr1000
fasty73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #4
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

QLD..north west? of Brisbane
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 12:00 AM   #5
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

One of the finest roads in australian metro areas, I love that place. Myself and a few others from work go up there and play in the hills. Luckily we have four tyres, doors and a roof to protect us from the monster.

I am itching to get the JCW up there, that place is Mini territory!
Old 06-06-2011, 08:01 AM   #6
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

If you look just at the road in front of the BA, you can see the dip just off the bridge, then the rising road, the corner - you can see how the monster took him.

RTV Power
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:53 AM   #7
84xespac
Wearing an armadillo hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout
If you look just at the road in front of the BA, you can see the dip just off the bridge, then the rising road, the corner - you can see how the monster took him.
Because of that dip that corner is a nasty one if ya come into hot, have seen it claim a few over the 20 odd years I have been riding that road.
84xespac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #8
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Dammit Mt Glorious is my front yard. Better lock the doors at night.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 07:42 PM   #9
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx
Dammit Mt Glorious is my front yard. Better lock the doors at night.
Careful on Mt. Nebo too! He's been seen there as well.

RTV Power
Old 06-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #10
The Monty
Just slidin'

I remember my first time down the western side of glorious. I though my AU on SL's and DBA slotteds with Bendix pads were good enough for me not to worry about the "All vehicles use 1st gear" sign. How wrong I was, coming down a bit of a straight after nailing it through a few corners, hard on the brakes (fairly decent speed limits down there). Down the straight which is very steep and a 30km/h hairpin at the bottom. Broke to slow down.....nothing. Kept it flat to the floor on the brake, bit of handbrake, and back into 1st in the auto. Tail gave a wag, and I managed to get around it with the tyres not so happy, and subsequently squealing in protest.
Theres a rest area just on from there. I didnt get my car out of first on the way to the rest area. When I got there, my brakes were smoking. My undies smelt. I took a half hour breather to regather myself.
I have never been out of first gear down the western side since.
This user likes this post:
Old 06-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #11
FPV091

what's this road called?
FPV091 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #12
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

The monster is vicious, & intolerable of people who laugh in its face.

Why dont people learn? You respect the monster. Have fun, but dont go into its cave with a loundspeaker.........
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #13
falcon01
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My wife just saw that first photo thats where the monster bit her. When we were younger she was on a youth camp not with me and the guy driving back thought he was Craig lowndes and drove of near that first gear sign a tree jumped in the way and stoped the car rolling all the way to the bottom and killing them all.
Extractors, 100cpi Cat, Xr6T Exhaust, White Line 27mm Front Sway Bar, Territory Intake Pipe, Tinted Windows, Bpt Thermostat K&N Air Filter, Dba Sloted SS Front &Rear, Bendix Ultimate Brake Pads Front & Rear, Monroe Gt Shocks Front and Rear, Slim Weathershields,Xr Springs F/R, Driving Lights, Fairmount external trim, Fairmount Clock, Genric
Tune, Underdrives, 4.11 Diff/Lsd, SS Growler

To Come,
Custom Tune,
Workshop Build
falcon01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #14
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

On the western side, the western fall where 'Glory' hides in wait its called the Northbrook Parkway, it then becomes the Mt.Glorious Road.
On the eastern fall it becomes Pei Road; there it falls down to Samford. Another branch on the eastern fall becomes Mt Nebo Road where it drops down to The Gap

RTV Power