Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-05-2011, 10:49 PM   #1
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Default Should I ask for a new phone?

Today I wanted to switch my second vodafone contract (my fiances phone in my name) to telstra. I was not able to leave work so organised to fax the local telstra dealer my details etc and come in and quickly pick up the phone. So 2 hours pass and I ring and get "oh sorry was supposed to ring you as you were told the wrong contract price" I said I already knew the price was wrong etc etc. He repeated my vodafone number to be ported, to which I replied

"you have it wrong, it is .........."
"o.k" he says,

then proceeds to repeat it wrong again and I told him that it was wrong again,

"Oh yeah sorry man",

by this stage I am thinking I should go in and do this, but I let it go. He says he will ring me soon. So another 1hr goes past and my boss had to go in to the shop, so was going to see what was going on whilst there. So he tells my boss he is almost done and will drop the phone off. By this time I had to go and pick up my daughter from school so dropped round the shop myself.

"yep all done he said, is in provisioning but will be ready to go in 30mins or so".

I check over the contract, glance at the number and see that it all looks good, so I sign and take the phone.

Fast forward to getting home. I am thinking

"great my fiance is going to give me something special tonight lol"

until I go to plug the phone in and decide to re read the contract. The idiot has tried to port the number wrong. It was all fine except 1 number in the middle and as I glanced did not pick this up at the shop when I picked it up, then I thought

"no worries call telstra and sort it out"

It is then I find he has already turned the phone on and re boxed it, I was not impressed at all. Then after 20mins explaining to the telstra moron that this was a second service on my account and not trying to change the one I have he informs me the provisioning process failed because the porting number was incorrect (I had figured as much already) and as such there is no second contract on my account, I have to go back to the shop. By now I am fuming, but I am able to bottle it up and still be polite to the telstra guy.

So now I can't surprise my fiance with her nice new phone on a decent network, but the reason I ask about swapping phone is because it was already turned on and boxed back up. As I have not been able to charge it from scratch how am I to know the battery will be o.k. Just looking for thoughts on this, I am ultra peeved at the moment.

Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Should I ask for a new phone?

Was it an iPhone? When I got mine they had to open it up to activate it...
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia
Was it an iPhone? When I got mine they had to open it up to activate it...
Yes. However I ordered one online and it turned up sealed in shrink wrap with the sim card seperate needing to be put in.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:21 AM   #4
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Used to work in a Telstra shop(never again).
There is a 24hr cooling off period, so even though you signed it the incorrect contract can be cancelled.
So you should not be tied to that phone if you cancel within the cooling off period, that's the consultants problem for not double checking his contracts.

In every store ive worked at we were only permitted to open boxes unless the phone was sold otherwise any that were opened and could not be sold came out of our pay, definitley motivation to get it right. lol
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 01:33 AM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I suggest you go and chuck a hissy fit and see what happens...it never gets you far.

Go in, be reasonable, and they will sort it out....it's not like you've never made a mistake.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 10:41 AM   #6
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I suggest you go and chuck a hissy fit and see what happens...it never gets you far.

Go in, be reasonable, and they will sort it out....it's not like you've never made a mistake.
No intentions of doing that. Even when I am really annoyed I am able to bottle it up and be polite. I always maintain that if you get mad, they get defensive and you get no where. Sometimes if I have an angry tone I actually appologise to the person and just explain I am frustrated.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

I work in a Telstra store, your order would have gone into error-provisioning and usually back of house will pick up the order and reprocess it and ensure it goes into 'complete'. However because the consultant got the number wrong back of house will never be able to complete it.

So all you need to do is go instore and get any consultant to reprocess the order with the correct mobile number and then youll be sorted.

In terms of the phone being opened - thats process. The iPhone comes 'bricked' and as a store we need to 'unbrick' the phone before it leaves the store. Benefit to you as if its found faulty instore at time of opening then theyll swap it - find it faulty at home and it would need to be sent away when you brought it back btw
Old 11-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #8
Linkachu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The iPhone doesnt come "bricked" i think telstra have fed you some BS there.
Linkachu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkachu
The iPhone doesnt come "bricked" i think telstra have fed you some BS there.
"Bricked" is just slang.

Well when you open the box you can't just turn it on and start using it (like you would with any other phone). You need to plug it into iTunes with an active SIM for it register with Apple's servers and become usable. We call it bricked because before its plugged into iTunes its as useful as a brick.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #10
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlerj
"Bricked" is just slang.

Well when you open the box you can't just turn it on and start using it (like you would with any other phone). You need to plug it into iTunes with an active SIM for it register with Apple's servers and become usable. We call it bricked because before its plugged into iTunes its as useful as a brick.

However I explained I already have an iphone and was not intending to use the phone right away (had to set it up the way my fiance liked it) so why could I not do this process myself. The one I ordered online came "bricked" as you put it and I was able to set it up, even then the process is pretty self explanitory, it states it needs a sim and then states it needs to be plugged into itunes. Not a dig at you mate just silly procedures you obviously have to follow. I am funny about the phone being turned on before it is fully charged, so would prefer to have to set it all up myself. Anyway never went back to store a nice indian guy rang me just as I left for work. 15mins later the fiances phone was active with the correct number.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #11
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Battery will be fine. these days with lithium batterys memory effect does not exist. Just give it a good charge up.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post