Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Nissan Navara D22 v D40

Hi all

Anyone know the main mechanical differences between a D22 and D40 Navara? The cosmetic ones are pretty plain to see, and I know the D40 has more power and torque with an extra ratio in the manual and auto boxes.

Anyone have any experiences or heard anything about the reliability of the manual diesel D22’s, particularly the ST-R dual cab?

I am scouting some info for my little bro who is looking at picking one up.

Thanks

Pinch

Old 05-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #2
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Are you talking new or secondhand ?
The D22 now has the same 2.5L engine as the D40 albeit detuned.

Try a search on this forum:
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/

You will find plenty of imfo.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Are you talking new or secondhand ?
The D22 now has the same 2.5L engine as the D40 albeit detuned.

Try a search on this forum:
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/

You will find plenty of imfo.
Thanks for the link. Will check it out!

Was looking new - appears to be very good deals on the runout model.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
BADEF-6
Moates Ostrich 2.0 User

the new d22 's are not all that great the clutches have been popping like a kid with a bunch of ballons, they dont have much grunt compaired to the older d22 with the zd30 motor, and they are a lot more expencive to service due to having dpf's fitted to them
BADEF-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

wait on, aren't these the awful slugs that had only half a star crash rating?
Old 05-03-2009, 09:36 PM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Go the D40..

The D22s are pretty ordinary on all fronts.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2009, 10:30 PM   #7
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spoke to a guy with a D40 which had blown the diff @ 60k. Non in Aus, so one has to be brought in from Spain where they are built. Nissan wouldnt airfrieght it, as it was too expensive, so it had to come by boat which is a 6 week wait.
He wasnt exactly happy, and dealer paid for a rental 4x4, which cost more than what it would have to be shipped by air.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2009, 10:43 PM   #8
GUTLES
Adam.

Heard of the D22's doing clutch's around 60,000km heaps.

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2009, 10:44 PM   #9
YOOT
Banned

I have a 2 year old STR 30td and its fine, I have done 55K and have only changed the oil and just put a set of tyres on it.

I have three others at work which are 4 years old each and have all done 210K and one blew a turbo at 200K the other three are fine. Apart from not being as new as the new generation of utes, they are tough, economical and the STR looks the goods. Especially when they are similarly equiped to even a 2009 SR5 (minus the safety) and the are only $32K to ABN holders.

I'd prefer a D40 because it is nicer, but $10K is alot of coin.
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2009, 10:54 PM   #10
MONSOON

Has anyone who is recommending the D40 actually driven one? I test drove one & found interior left alot to be desired, front seats are uncomfortable, door trims have no usable armrest, D22's have a less cool but more functional interior in my opinion
Old 05-03-2009, 11:40 PM   #11
Tickford Kid
Formerly known as TS 50

Get a Hilux!
BLUEPRINT T3 TS50 #109, MANUAL WITH BREMBOS
Tickford Kid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 08:33 AM   #12
YOOT
Banned

I have driven the D40 and its streets ahead of the D22, the D22 will rattle your fillings out, the D40 is in another league. Remember is 75% pathfinder.

As for the hilux they are in a class of their own, we have two SRs and about to buy our third (to replace the D22) and the have the biggest cabin of all the utes, they are quiet (diesel) and have plenty of grunt, and the ride is outstanding.

However the base model is $42500 on the road with alloy tray, a/c, bullbar, towbar vs $45,900 for an STX D40 with all the fruit the SR5 has. An Sr5 is north of $55,000 on the road. Unless a company is buying the HIlux for you thats a lot of money that isn't going to buy you much except a nicer ride.

Both the D40 and SR Hilux have woeful ground clearance, my Forester has over an inch more clearance. But it suits me because they grade the sand tracks flat at Fraser for me LOL!
Old 06-03-2009, 09:17 AM   #13
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the info so far.

Money is a real issue here, and in this case 10K between the D22 and D40 may as well be 100K.

He is looking at circa 2004 2nd hand Hilux's or a new D22.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:14 AM   #14
BADEF-6
Moates Ostrich 2.0 User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSOON
Has anyone who is recommending the D40 actually driven one? I test drove one & found interior left alot to be desired, front seats are uncomfortable, door trims have no usable armrest, D22's have a less cool but more functional interior in my opinion
yes i work on them at a dealership i see all the problems
BADEF-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #15
batheway
Starter Motor

been in a nissan dealership for 8 years and found the d22 with the old zd30 never had no clutch issues d22 with yd25 motor maybe done one as for d40 and pathy well thats a different story the dual mass flywheel and long 1st gear ratio is at fault
batheway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 12:54 PM   #16
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUTLES
Heard of the D22's doing clutch's around 60,000km heaps.
Nah, not the D22. You might be thinking of the D40, but that would mainly be the V6.
Old 20-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #17
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have the 2008 ST-X 2.5 ltr Turbo six speed and love it. very grunty and quick. Never thought I would own another desiel. Problems, I don't know as yet. Like all things treat em good and feed them they will work for you. 700 Ks out of the standard range take you can't argue with that. very nice ride. seats when you first jump in are off putting. drive it for three hundred Ks and tell me then what you think about the seats. A ton of room and back seats are compfy. I had two of the worst travelers in the back for nearly 3000 ks and no complaints so ball is in your court mate but I would never buy a car if I listened to all the bad or negatives.

clutch maybe a problem later if I tow things constantlt I would say but no different to Hilux which can smoke a clutch with a small trailer of furnature backing up a drive, need 4x4 ot you will have the cab smeeling like an old gin.
Old 20-01-2010, 10:00 PM   #18
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This thread still going?

He got the D22 new for an awesome price. Was months ago and they seem to have gone UP but about $7k, even for ABN holders.

He loves it, has been great. Some great video's of some trails his done, plus I have navigated a few too.

Thinking of getting one myself as a tow car, the Fairlane is stuggling a bit with the new big boat.

Main issues with the D22 are getting electrical accessories for it like remote locking and cruise control. I think they use the new type of wiring loom system that makes this hard (dont recall the exact details).

Also only has 2 speakers and no room in the rear (doors or elsewhere) to put more.

Apart from that drives quite well, quite economical, and it WILL tow the hell out of my boat!
Old 20-01-2010, 10:04 PM   #19
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This thread still going?

He got the D22 new for an awesome price. Was months ago and they seem to have gone UP but about $7k, even for ABN holders.

He loves it, has been great. Some great video's of some trails his done, plus I have navigated a few too.

Thinking of getting one myself as a tow car, the Fairlane is stuggling a bit with the new big boat. Will prob lean more to a 2nd hand, low k SY Tezza ghia AWD though.

Main issues with the D22 are getting electrical accessories for it like remote locking and cruise control. I think they use the new type of wiring loom system that makes this hard (dont recall the exact details).

Also only has 2 speakers and no room in the rear (doors or elsewhere) to put more.

Apart from that drives quite well, quite economical, and it WILL tow the hell out of my boat!
Old 20-01-2010, 10:30 PM   #20
GUTLES
Adam.

We've got a current model D22 @ work now, there defiantly the budget model, you have to get out & lock the Front Hubs to get it into 4WD, 2 Speaker Stereo for a 5 seater. I prefer my older Bravo, expect the D22 is alot more economical.

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 10:59 AM   #21
chuckles
formerly lorosfalcon

ive fitted rear speakers in a d22 before. theres holes in the doors for em
XForce 2 1/2 exhaust with hidden tip
Battery in boot
Textralia clutuch
T56 conversion
King Springs SL front SSL rear
Pedders shocks
PBR upgrade front brakes
20" koya rush II wheels (street/show)
17" Enkei WRC Tarmac evo wheels (fun)
5% tint
Polk Audio 5x7 speakers
Option Audio 500WRMS amp
Clarion dual voice coil 15" sub in box
TO COME:
Typhoon engine conversion
chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #22
YOOT
Banned

Depends on how old it is, the D22 spans a lot of models and the newer ones have side intrusion beams through the hole, so speakers are no go (despit the grill!)
Old 20-04-2011, 01:53 AM   #23
ryaneb11
Starter Motor

Default Re: Nissan Navara D22 v D40

put them in the ash tray holes...easy as
ryaneb11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post