Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default A state of nannyism

As much as I dislike litter I find this to be disturbing -

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...for-littering/

Who decides if a 'registered litter reporter' is reporting the truth ?

Are they 'sworn officers' ?

What's next ?

Monitors connected to toilet bowls and phone lines to check if you've been naughty or nice ?
And it won't be Santa who comes to visit.

shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: A state of nannyism

I have no problem with this as long as whomever makes the report has to identify themselves to the person about whom they are making it and are responsible for any costs should the infringement be successfully challenged.

Police have to, why not the "civil gestapo"......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Should be nationwide.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
Should be nationwide.
Yeh then I could make stuff up about the neighbour I hate and that hoon down the with the new FPV (I have not actually caught him doing anything dangerous bit his car is a V8 and has stripes so it is only a matter of time before he kills some kids and a pregnant woman and makes baby Jesus cry)......
Old 09-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
bungarra

I fought one of these fines in court and won. The fine arrived saying I had been seen littering by one of these registered spys. It was great in court whe the person who reported it, turned up and was asked to prove what they reported.

the claimed they seen me throw a cigarette out of the window. Funny thing was I havent smoked in years. I showed my work diary which showed I was in the North west working and that my car was parked in the airport car park. Had the airline ticket and parking ticket to prove it. No recompense for loss of earnings though.
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #6
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungarra
I fought one of these fines in court and won. The fine arrived saying I had been seen littering by one of these registered spys. It was great in court whe the person who reported it, turned up and was asked to prove what they reported.

the claimed they seen me throw a cigarette out of the window. Funny thing was I havent smoked in years. I showed my work diary which showed I was in the North west working and that my car was parked in the airport car park. Had the airline ticket and parking ticket to prove it. No recompense for loss of earnings though.
Hmm, the super hero who defamed you should have a case to answer. Shame you let him go, maybe next time......
Old 09-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An interesting wrestle between civil liberties and civic responsibility.
Freedom doesn't come for free and all that.

A bit OT, but in regard to " No recompense for loss of earnings though.", I once attended court for jury duty and was challenged, so no duty, but when I asked about getting paid for the day (as I would if I were a public servant or wage-earner), I had to jump through a big hoop.
Being self-employed at the time I was asked to get a letter from the clients that I would've worked for that day detailing how much that they would've paid me. Yeah right.
shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 08:10 PM   #8
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as these people are not sworn law officers their reports are open to challenge and where you can't claim damages for loss of earnings off a cop or sue for defamation because they are protected by law these pretend cops are fair game I call on all people booked falsely by these people to not only fight it in court but to then sue the reporter for losses for making a false or missleading statement, you then insist the police prosecute for purgery once they are proven to be lying

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #9
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How can you cop a fine when theres no proof you committed the offence to start with. Shouldn't they provide some proof like a photo?
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #10
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reported a young female with two males in the car - all three were smoking.
Female driver blatantly wound down the window and tossed the butt out.

I wonder how often these whipper-snappers vote for The Greens and **** their pants over climate change and the environment...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 09:13 PM   #11
stevz
Banned

The woman in the article states:

Quote:
"I've lived in the hills my whole life and I've seen devastating bushfires so I know the dangers," Ms Moysey said. "I would have ashed out the window and kept the butt in my car.
Well duh, it's the burning ash that starts the fire, not the butt itself.
I have no sympathy for her, she deserves everything she gets.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 10:43 PM   #12
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
The woman in the article states:

Have rope, will hang!

She really should have thought her crappy story through before saying it...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #13
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I see things like this and think "whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?". I'd refuse to accept any fine based on the alleged sighting of me littering from a civilian. They'd want to be able to actually prove it first.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #14
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A mate of mine, when he catches clowns at the lights throwing litter from parked cars, gets out, picks it up (usually cig buts) and throws it back into their car. Absolute ****a.
Im not that brave/stupid but will say something if walking and see clowns messing up what they have no right to mess up. Ive had it with smokers and their butts everywhere, but I suppose if you dont give a toss about your own health why would you be expected to care for others and the community.
As for lagging them in, I dont do it but am not bottered by those who are prepared to stand up, its not a nanny state, its the community having had enough of bad behaviour. I would guess that 90%+ of cases are true. Video/photo evidence would be the best thing to have on side.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 08:24 PM   #15
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
I see things like this and think "whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?". I'd refuse to accept any fine based on the alleged sighting of me littering from a civilian. They'd want to be able to actually prove it first.
+1
If all these fines were taken to court, they would be thrown out.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 03:08 PM   #16
stockNAfairlane

Known about this for a while, my friend got a fine for throwing a cigarette butt out the window of his car, except he is a non-smoker.

Details were correct (rego, car, colour, time, date etc), but the littering didnt occur.
stockNAfairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 07:18 PM   #17
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockNAfairlane
Known about this for a while, my friend got a fine for throwing a cigarette butt out the window of his car, except he is a non-smoker.

Details were correct (rego, car, colour, time, date etc), but the littering didnt occur.
Did he pay the fine? Or have to go to court to get off the fine?
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #18
bungarra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith
A mate of mine, when he catches clowns at the lights throwing litter from parked cars, gets out, picks it up (usually cig buts) and throws it back into their car. Absolute ****a.
Im not that brave/stupid but will say something if walking and see clowns messing up what they have no right to mess up. Ive had it with smokers and their butts everywhere, but I suppose if you dont give a toss about your own health why would you be expected to care for others and the community.
As for lagging them in, I dont do it but am not bottered by those who are prepared to stand up, its not a nanny state, its the community having had enough of bad behaviour. I would guess that 90%+ of cases are true. Video/photo evidence would be the best thing to have on side.
No different to leaving a burnout, causes damage to the road, leaves rubber waste and fills the air with a potential carcinogen, but if I reported you and you went to court, bet you too would be having a whinge about only doing a burnout. A two second burnout releases as much toxins to the environment as a million smokers for the same period, which is worse, I have never seen two million smokers in one spot, but have seen lots of cars doing burnouts at the sam time and place. Horses for courses though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevez
Unless he was standing over combustible material, the ash wouldn't set fire to crap, a lit cigarette maybe, but 99% of bush fires are started by arsonists not cigarettes. Do an approved intensive Fire Fighting course and you learn this.
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post