Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-04-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Help - Insurance Woes

Hey guys - need some advice re an insurance claim with AAMI:

I got my HSV (a few weeks ago) on a Sunday, and on the Wednesday I got hit from behind in a 3 car prang (I wasn't at fault). Police came out cause the woman at the back had pelvic pains and she was heavily pregnant so she was taken to hospital.

Anyway, I got hit from behind and pushed over a median strip which scratched up my rims (VE GTS rims), and also sustained a damaged rear bar.

The insurance assesor came out today and said no worries on the rear bar (getting replaced) but a no on the rims - his reason why is that the car wouldnt have sustained a big enough shunt to push me over the kerb and that I have done the damage by parking against the kerb - he went so far to point out that I even had brake dust in the scratches - thats when I got really p***ed off and said - mate, its been over two weeks since the accident - of course there is going to be brake dust.

I also stated that when I took out my insurance policy, it was marked as "No unrepaired damage" - it is an offence to provide false or misleading information is it not?!?!

I explained to him exactly how the accident occured, but he said - well I'll take some pictures but its more then likely going to be a no.

Now he stated that the driver at fault is with a different insurance company so its not like AAMI is having to pay out if they are recouping the cost...

The assesor also said I can now book the car in to get the rear bar fixed - do I go ahead and do that or wait till (if) everything can get done at once?

What do I do? I thought my insurance company is there to help me (I realise my mistake in thinking that now)...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Help - Insurance Woes

See if you can get a copy of the police report.
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag top
See if you can get a copy of the police report.
Friggin police report has no meantion of me going over the kerb or any specific damage - just states I avoided the car infront and got shunted from behind. grrr!!!!

Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 04-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any photo's, the old camera phones are great for these situations.

1. Complain to the manager/supervisor

2. Complain again to the next level

3. Threaten them with the insurance ombudsman

Also if you have a long history/multiple policies with them remind them of that.

And when it's all sorted, go somewhere else for your insurance, they are all scumbags but you cant let them get away with it.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
Kryton

Go back to the scene, find the exact spot on the gutter that you hit and take a photo of the freshly chipped/scratched concrete that your rim hit.
If you can (safely) park the car in such a way that the rim matches against the concrete - take a picture of that.
Might be better to remove the rim from the vehicle and match the scratches up to the damage on the concrete and take the photos.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The assessor is supposed to give an impartial report to the insurer of the events. This can be difficult to achieve when the assessor is employed by the insurer.

If the insurer wont pay for the wheel damage, they should give you some formal declinature of the claim. If so, that declinature should provide advice on who to complain to if you are not satisfied. That should be the insurers internal dispute resolution process. Surprisingly, that does give a good result for the insured.

If you are not satisfied with that result, your original declinature should provide details on how to complain to the Insurance Ombodsman (?). Details http://fos.org.au/centric/home_page.jsp

You may need to get some facts, and that the Police Report does not support your version of events, this will not help, but it is not fatal to your case.
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
LTDHO
The one and only

Speak to your claim consultant.

Sure that when they confirm the version of events. This will show you hit up onto the nature strip.

Easy solved.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #8
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Called up AAMI and it turns out they never put anything in regards to me going over the kerb - even though they initially asked about my rims and got told to get them and the bar quoted.

They changed it all to EXACTLY what happened and well see what happens.

I guess what Im really annoyed about is how the assesor told me how "I scratched my rims on the kerb!"

Old 04-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #9
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Write to them in a real letter - paper and signature - along with a copy by email with your claim.

Wait for response.

If you speak to them, get first and second name, file note details with time of day and date. Keep note of every discussion.
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post