Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-02-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
FYRE_81_AUI_00
woop woop woop woop

Exclamation au cruise control - series 2 into series 1

okay and the dramas start again ;) haha

i bought a series 1 cruise control kit off ebay to put in my series 1 au
but of course they sent me series 2 parts... :/
and of course i didn't realize until after i had all but finished putting it in

i pulled off the steering wheel and put on the combination controls and the cruise buttons, then put the steering wheel back together but then i had to go out, the car ran no worries at all just the same as before and i tested the wipers and blinkers and everything with the combination controls (except the cruise of course) and it all seemed to work fine

i came home this afternoon and then swapped out the looms and put in the cruise control module and was starting to plug in the loom when i noticed there was one extra plug, so i looked abit closer and realised the fella has writted AUII on the back of the cruise control module and the back of the firewall rubber for the loom

the only thing i haven't done was i still had to put in one part im not sure what it was though its a little round part that came with the kit as well which looks like it screws in down where the steering rack is - there is already one in there, which the plug at the end of the loom plugs into

other than that one part i have it fully installed now - so my obvious question is
will it work???
and if not what is the bare minimum parts i need to send back to get swapped over as i dont really want to have to undo everything i have already done and put the old stuff back in just to have to redo it all again

im sure i remember reading ages ago about someone putting a series 2 kit into a series 1 and saying it worked fine but that was awhile ago now
also is there any good how-to's around on doing this i know i have seen one before but i couldnt find it earlier when i looked so i just went and did it myself and it all seemed to go fine pretty obvious really but i wouldnt mind double checking everything

thanks everyone

FYRE_81_AUI_00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

brake boosted switch? there should be a grey socket with 2 wires coming out of the end of the brake booster.. without that, the cruise wont work (for safety reasons)
Old 11-02-2011, 12:08 AM   #3
FYRE_81_AUI_00
woop woop woop woop

thanks for the reply mate

i was just told that all the parts are supposedly exactly the same except for the combination switch and that the plug on the combination switch is supposed to be different for series 1 to series 2/3 but that everything else is identical

the combination switch i got has the variable speed on the wipers, which i thought was series 2/3 only and it definitely plugged into my series 1 and seems to work perfectly fine, as i said i drove the car after doing that part of it and had no issues

the plug that has nowhere for me to plug it in on the new loom is right where the one is that goes to the brake master cylinder that was exactly the same as the one on the loom that was already there, the one which isnt plugged into anything has 2 wires with a grey plug with red inside the plug

oh and also there is another unused plug taped up on the loom near the firewall on the inside of the car, i take it this is for the plug for the clutch on a manual?

the part i was unsure of is part number 94DA-9F924-AA 0045 that might mean something to someone here lol
i dont think it has anything to do with the brake though, it definitely looks like it screws in down at the steering rack just behind the drivers side engine mount, here is some pics

thanks again
Old 11-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

thats your brake pressure switch... if you look in the build thread (for the au, link in sig) you should be able to find a pic of the brake booster and where the switch goes
Old 11-02-2011, 10:18 PM   #5
FYRE_81_AUI_00
woop woop woop woop

thanks for the help mate, i got a chance to lift up the bonnet on the car again at lunch time today and i worked that out haha its amazing the difference it makes when you look in the daytime instead of at night with a torch with flat batteries ;)

well i finished it all off at lunchtime and then took it for a cruise late afternoon out to the beach and back and everything worked fine with the cruise control

so i guess it is possible to put an au2 cruise kit into au1

cheers
Old 11-02-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

great to hear mate.. but ya gotta love that one little thing that is stopping it from working, and now that its in, you can go for a nice long cruise with no foot operation.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #7
FYRE_81_AUI_00
woop woop woop woop

yeah i didnt try and use the cruise until today though, i wasnt going to test it out at all until i knew it was all in there properly haha

i only just barely got the loom and actuator in yesterday afternoon before i had to go do other stuff and by the time i got home again it was too dark to do anything more than be a goose out there under the bonnet in the middle of the night trying to see with my flat torch

i saw straight away what i had to do at lunchtime today in the daylight haha oh well

i was really more worried about using the AU2 kit then anything as i was told AU2/3 cruise wont work in AU1 but apparently it all works fine

gotta admit i already love having cruise control again, definitely one of my favourite luxuries with cars ;)