Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
Thunder Time

Default NSW Mobile Speed Cameras - Ford Territory with pictures

Hi Everyone,
The Sureflo test road was closed for business today, due to the fact that the whole fleet of 6 Mobile Speed cameras were being calibrated.

It was reported that they were all white, however, there are black ones and a grey one. I hope you enjoy the pictures - so watch out for them !!! They can book people across 6 lanes in both directions and can book something like 6 per second.

I hope you enjoy the photos.

Cheers
Greg

Thunder Time is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Yeah Ive seen a few different coloured ones now. The black ones are pretty sneaky.

Also seen them setup on Lancaster a few times.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
XPfalcon170

the ghostbusters falcon wagon looks like what i saw last saturday night in lewisham :S
XPfalcon170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
MRFGXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

revenue raisers, shame shame!

6/6/16 build 2017 plate Race red mustang gt with white solid stripes, tint, x-force exhaust, rear spoiler, 35mm lowered Votgland springs

MRFGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

target practice?

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
Thunder Time

There are 2 white, 3 black and one silver/grey colour. They have inbuilt video cameras (to stop mysterious damage) and the cameras are infa red - so no flash even at night !!!

This is the sliver/grey one

They are budgetted to add $137 million in 12 months. They are privately owned and operated (commission cheque is in the mail !!!) and Macquarie Bank is trying to buy out the Victorian Company that is running them.

The first month, which is now over, they only issued warnings - 1300 of them. Due to public outrage, they are now going to make them "Marked" instead of being unmarked.

There are no warning signs, only a sign at the vehicle saying your speed has been checked (and the fine is in the mail !!!).

Cheers
Greg
Thunder Time is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Thats some serious big brother right there. So if only we knew the calibration of that wagon, then everyone would be on a level playing field. I dont think we even have them in Vic yet do we?

Atleast they brought Fords.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #8
GYRKIN GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRFGXR6
revenue raisers, shame shame!

Agree with you, totally.
GYRKIN GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #9
FPV GT
I Like To Shake It

The grey one that hangs around Wollongong has an orange stripe down the side......oooooh sporty.

2016 S550 TY GT Coupe....some loud bits and some glass bits

I like My GT SHAKEN, and Blown
Happiness is a TY S550, a 1911 semi automatic, and the Lovey Lizzie by my side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely Lizzie
whilst looking at man riding a pee wee 50
"That sure does nothing for his masculinity"
FPV GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Keep seeing the white one sit on Windsor Rd near Rouse Hill Town Centre near the T-Way lane.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 10:50 PM   #11
xrfalcon
On The Limiter

Redflex is the company that builds these units.
xrfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 10:52 PM   #12
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The black ones have been haunting the Ingleburn area (particularly the industrial are) for the past month.

They get rather annoyed when you take pictures of them.

It was reported today that they are going to orange stripes down the sides, front and rear of them. Governments way of trying to justify that they aren't just hiding for revenue.

Lot of help the stripes will do when the cameras can detect up to 700 metres away.

If not for revenue, then why do they budget the $130 odd million dollars into the budget figures.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 11:30 PM   #13
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Time
Hi Everyone,
They can book people across 6 lanes in both directions and can book something like 6 per second.

Woo the world is saved, now I feel so much safer. So instead of accidentally doing 67 in a 60 zone,(god forbid if that happened. It would be the worst thing ever) we will have people staring at there speedos every 5 seconds because that's much safer.

I read somewhere, I think in USA, they installed speed cameras and then the crash rate around the cameras actually increased. The increase was mostly due to rear ending.... guess too much watching speedo and not enough watching road ahead. But that doesn't matter, the government seams to only think you can be injured in a crash if you are speeding.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 01:18 AM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if we all stay alert, stay on the limit thats the best way to punish them.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 02:56 AM   #15
GULL
TuRbO

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
if we all stay alert, stay on the limit thats the best way to punish them.
Well said and soooooooo true
GULL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #16
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personalised number plates too???

Having the camera gear on the roof is going to leave it open to damage isnt it???

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #17
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if they are IR cameras would a couple of small heated plates behind the number plate stop it getting the number plate accurately? Something the size of say a 50 cent coin I know in NSW if there is any fault in the pic it gets discarded

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 12:39 PM   #18
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

There is technology available (@$1200) for both to detect both radar and laser detection devices used by police that are not detectable by police radar detectors and will not send a fault code to the laser unit. The laser detector device can also be used as a parking sensor so it has 2 functions.
The laser detector effectively jams the police laser unit for a period of 4 to 8 seconds giving you time to brake and slow before allowing a lock to appear on the police laser gun hopefully it will be less than posted limit if its not atleast the fine will be less than what it would have been. The only undetectable radar detector is a Bell STI a nice piece of equipment this will alert you to a radar usually with plenty of time to slow to the posted limit.

Use of radar detectors is not allowed in this state the rules are made by the same people who bring us covert camera cars to raise revenue the use of radar detectors if found will cost you $1200 and 9 points. The laser jammer/parking device is legal for now just as radar detectors were in the 80's.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #19
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3
There is technology available (@$1200) for both to detect both radar and laser detection devices used by police that are not detectable by police radar detectors and will not send a fault code to the laser unit. The laser detector device can also be used as a parking sensor so it has 2 functions.
The laser detector effectively jams the police laser unit for a period of 4 to 8 seconds giving you time to brake and slow before allowing a lock to appear on the police laser gun hopefully it will be less than posted limit if its not atleast the fine will be less than what it would have been. The only undetectable radar detector is a Bell STI a nice piece of equipment this will alert you to a radar usually with plenty of time to slow to the posted limit.

Use of radar detectors is not allowed in this state the rules are made by the same people who bring us covert camera cars to raise revenue the use of radar detectors if found will cost you $1200 and 9 points. The laser jammer/parking device is legal for now just as radar detectors were in the 80's.
True, however with NSW Police moving to laser & IR our once wonderful Bell STI's no longer serve purpose. There is a new "parking sensor" available from WA which will work on the lasers. Some new Euro's have laser parking sensors and the cops can't legally stop it at this stage.

IR is a whole other ball game, given that heat seeking technology is advancing i'd say it's time to quit while the quitting is good.
However our saving grace is they're out to make money, discreet and little known back roads aren't profitable...

Catch the bus and let some other pleb line the govvy coffers....

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #20
latefordtragic

Hmm looks like the NSW Govt is taking the same stance as the Victorian Govt. I understand that South Africa was also revenue raising, not much these days. The South african locals took to throwing tyres over the fixed speed and red light cameras then setting the tyres alight. Its a trend that could appear in oz, and i for one will say "i know nothing! i see nothing". Although as tax payers we own the cameras, the govt never came out and discussed cameras as part of a policy during an election, thefore they do not have a mandate to have these cameras out in the streets. I wouldn tmind toasting a marshmellow on a camera if i saw one alight
latefordtragic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 03:31 PM   #21
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by latefordtragic
Hmm looks like the NSW Govt is taking the same stance as the Victorian Govt. I understand that South Africa was also revenue raising, not much these days. The South african locals took to throwing tyres over the fixed speed and red light cameras then setting the tyres alight. Its a trend that could appear in oz, and i for one will say "i know nothing! i see nothing". Although as tax payers we own the cameras, the govt never came out and discussed cameras as part of a policy during an election, thefore they do not have a mandate to have these cameras out in the streets. I wouldn tmind toasting a marshmellow on a camera if i saw one alight
Dont know how accurate it is, but I heard that any damage to speed cameras in some states are never reported to the media so as to prevent copy-cat attacks.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post