Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-08-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Default Steering issues

Hi guys,

Story is, a car got to close to mine while driving and I swerved a bit to avoid getting to close to this car, but due to me swerving I accidentally drove up on the gutter/curb for a second roughly on the front left wheel I think.
After this happened I noticed that my steering is heavier and that the steering doesn't self center as well now.

I was just wondering if anyone might have an idea what I might of damaged and will need somewhere new to take my car to get it looked/repaired as my current mechanic isn't around (no idea whats happening)
Was hoping that a suspension shop would be ideal for this as I'm hoping to get my shocks replaced to in the future.

The car is a AUII Fairmont and would need somewhere around the Outer Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne (such as Croydon and etc)

Thank you

Last edited by JTFG; 06-08-2010 at 03:33 PM.
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
brad`
The Monty

u would have thrown your wheel alignment out by the sounds of it.

when driving if u let go off the wheel does it pull to one side ? (noticably)
If so any automotive place (mechanic) will be able to do an alignment places like pedders should be able to do one as well if its a big enough store
brad` is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

believe you me, you ain't the first person who's bitten a gutter under necessity

first port of call, take it to your local bob jane/tyrepower/jax/quickfit/beaurepaires etc
tell em you hit a gutter
tell em to check it out an do an alignment
they'll possibly get it right first go, if not they'll be able to tell you you've bent something
usually all for the cost of an alignment.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Thanks for the replies!

Well the car already needed a wheel alignment so it's hard to tell, but as mentioned it just feels heavier the steering.

But I'll contact Pedders (one which has good feedback from a friend) and do what was recommended and hope for the best.

thanks once again.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

The most common thing I see bent as a result of driving up a gutter, is the rackend.

As for it not self centring as a result. That's nothing to do with it being knocked out of alignment. That's a result of something getting bent.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Bent out of alignment might be better choice of words? 1-2mm makes a heap of difference.
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2010, 11:58 PM   #7
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB
Bent out of alignment might be better choice of words? 1-2mm makes a heap of difference.

Depends what's you're referring to being bent out of alignment. The toe won't effect self centring. If the cars driving straight, it can't be a Caster or camber problem.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2010, 02:07 AM   #8
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Hmm interesting!

Well it does self centre but not very quick at times, but does the job!

Thought I'd ask again just incase before I try'n book my car in if there's any highly recommended suspension places in the Outer east of Melbourne as I'm hoping to get my shocks done to, unless if Pedders is recommended.

Just don't wanna get ripped off of course

Last edited by JTFG; 08-08-2010 at 02:14 AM.