Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
pappasdesign
Starter Motor

Default AU faulty Start

Hi guys,

I have an au falcon that when you first start it strugles a bit. Once started if you turn it off, and start again its fine. Is this a fuel pump on the way out or somthing else?

pappasdesign is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could be a issue with the coil pack, Maybe plugs and leads,

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

hi there pappasdesign,

can you give us a little more info? What kind of AU? (model, motor etc), petrol or LPG?
when you say struggles a bit, do you mean it runs rough or takes a long time to crank?

when we've got more info we can give you more than just wild guesses as to what the fix could be.

cheers
mr hardware
Old 15-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #4
pappasdesign
Starter Motor

Sorry guys. It takes a while to crank over. But only when you first start. Thats why i thought it might not be the coil pack otherwise wouldnt it do it all the time? I havnt changed plugs but it might just be that too. Its a au series 2 xr6 manual with a VCT motor. Its petrol. Its a 2000 model.
Old 15-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

chances are it'll be fuel related. first off try a few things, change your fuel filter, throw in a tank of premium plus injector cleaner, and also try when you turn the key, do it in two stages. turn it on to the last stage before start, and keep it there for a second or two. you should hear the fuel pump go burrrr for a second or two. then try and start. It's possible you've got leaking injectors or a pinhole in your fuel rail or some such thing causing the fuel to evaporate and take its time to get from the fuel tank in the back of the car right up into the motor again, it's also possible you have a very lazy, tired fuel pump.

or i could be completely wrong and it's nothing to do with the fuel system at all!
Old 15-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
jeffb

If it’s anything like mine it is losing rest pressure in the fuel rail. It is probably either as mentioned a leaking injector or the fuel pressure regulator. I haven’t got around to pin pointing mine, I just turn the key to "on" for a few secs to let the fuel pump prime the rail then start it.
jeffb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappasdesign
Sorry guys. It takes a while to crank over. But only when you first start. Thats why i thought it might not be the coil pack otherwise wouldnt it do it all the time? I havnt changed plugs but it might just be that too. Its a au series 2 xr6 manual with a VCT motor. Its petrol. Its a 2000 model.
how many k`s?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 12:19 PM   #8
pappasdesign
Starter Motor

Thanks for the replies guys. Im actually picking the car up on the weekend, and i noticed the problem when i test drrove it. Thought i would try and solve the problem before buying. Its nothing major but once i get it ill play around with it and fix it. It a great car, Drives awesome. Cant beat Tickford quality. Its only got 127000km.