Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 06-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
gchef
Starter Motor

Default Touch Up Paint

Hi all, I think this is a common problem for all...

I got my first stone chip after a week grrr. I can tell the paint layer is very thin, as I can see the metal now.

I rang up local Ford, they don't have the Sea Grey paint for Fiesta or imported Ford:( And the UK online part store (fordpartuk.com) is charging silly postage (GBP45) for it.

Any suggestion to prevent/to fix stone chips? Or just ignore it?

gchef is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
Cyborg1978

I tried to get repair paint from gird for frozen white and was told the same. But I was lucky a couple of weeks ago I backed into my brothers brand new BMW 320. When the panel beater had to respray my back bumper he left me a repair jar of paint for stone chips. See how well hints work out.
Cyborg1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
gchef
Starter Motor

The buying from UK option sound alright compare to bumping into a BMW 320
Old 06-05-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive been trying to find the clear car bra's that guys who buy merc's, porsches, ferrari's use... to cover the front bonnet etc of cars

apparently if done right do a pretty good job, but i dont know anyone who's had it done...
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
Oscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchef
Hi all, I think this is a common problem for all...

I got my first stone chip after a week grrr. I can tell the paint layer is very thin, as I can see the metal now.

I rang up local Ford, they don't have the Sea Grey paint for Fiesta or imported Ford:( And the UK online part store (fordpartuk.com) is charging silly postage (GBP45) for it.

Any suggestion to prevent/to fix stone chips? Or just ignore it?
Car should have paint code on it somewhere just take code to some car paint place and they will make a touch up kit for you. Touch up repair guys that do mobile repairs also mix paint in back of their vans though youd have to pay for the call out fee also.
Oscuro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got a bottle of that touch up paint from Autobarn. What a horrid, ilmatched waste of money that was! I'll order some Euro Ford touch up paint in the coming weeks, the excessive postage I can deal with because I'm hoping it'll be a perfect match. I plan to order it with some other bits so postage won't be too bad.

I'm not sure how Autobarn mix their paint but even my mate who used to be a spray painter laughed at the touch up paint I got. I bet it's a few guys out the back playing with some paint cans!
Old 07-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
gchef
Starter Motor

Yes, I rather wait and get the paint right the first time. anyone try autoone.com.au? I will drop by and check it out later, I was told they are good at paint.

The problem with car bra is if you peel it off after a few year, the paint color might be different compare to the area not cover by the bra. I rather respray the bonnet after 5 years or more, with more coating layer than the OEM.

I am using the avoidance method atm, always keep the distance 4-5 car length away from the vehicle in front. Some of you might spot me this weekend in Sydney, if you notice a grey Fiesta keeping the distance
Old 27-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
Torque_steer
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscuro
Car should have paint code on it somewhere just take code to some car paint place and they will make a touch up kit for you. Touch up repair guys that do mobile repairs also mix paint in back of their vans though youd have to pay for the call out fee also.
Exactly right, get a can made specifically with the colour code of your car then get a tooth pick dab on a bit of paint and do the touch ups. So simply I used to do it on my bmw all the time when I have time I'll do the same to the fez.
Torque_steer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post